1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

saw a grindstone driven 1980 KV Mini 1 at the Seattle Auto Show

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Nov 12, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw this interesting car below at the Seattle Auto Show. Be sure to check it out, if you're there. It's at LeMay Museum "booth".

Some info at Concours d'LeMons Worst of Show: stone-driven 1980 KV Mini 1 — Autoblog and at Victoire de Citrons! — CLUNKBUCKET.

The car is a crackup and the owner (manning his car) is too. It literally is driven by the two grindstones against the rear tires. There's no fuel pump so it's gravity fed. The engine is a 2 stroke 1 cylinder engine. His was a "souped up" version w/125 cc engine instead of the 50 cc. Surprisingly, it has a belt driven CVT! All the switches and lights in the car were unlabeled. IIRC, he'd seen another car (his parts car?) where the previous owner labeled the controls w/a pen w/their functions in French.

WA state required him to make a few changes before they'd issue him plates. One was to add seat belts, since it had none.

Apparently, it could be driven legally by French people w/o a license and was marketed towards people w/no license. The French company that made this car went away in 1986.

He believes there are only three in the country. He has two of them, one for parts.

I told him one of my cars is an 06 Prius, being on the opposite end of the technology spectrum.

1 person likes this.