1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saw a Mitsubishi i-MIEV on the road today - it is TINY!

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by GrumpyCabbie, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    The Leaf has regen on both accelerator and brake and in "regen" mode its extreme to the point where i have co-workers constantly telling me i need to check my brake lights when they are following me to work.

but i can also use "drive" mode which greatly reduces regen to the point of it being about the same as my 2010 Prius in its eco mode. (eco on Leaf feels like Prius "B" mode)

but i drive in "eco" mode all the time since its basically speed control with only one pedal instead of two. in all but unexpected stops, eco works just fine. with no pedal in eco, i can come to a near stop from 40 mph in about 2 blocks. but the best part of it, with adjustable pedal pressure, i can moderate my rate of deceleration.

to be honest with ya; i drive the Prius only for out of town trips the Leaf cannot do (not very many of those) or when it needs gas. i have become very accustomed to "one pedal" driving and going back to two pedal...kinda sucks

2. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The new one, the one on the left. Seriously, it is surprisingly spacious inside. Lot's of room. It looks cute too. Unfortunately driving it was out of the question. The dealer only had it for a few days. They new little about the car except that it is undergoing safety testing and it should be available in Canada this year. Somehow I don't think it will happen. Also, it may not be a good idea to start selling an electric car in the Canadian winter. I can just imagine bashing it to death after an idiot got stuck in it and froze himself to death.

The quoted unofficial prize was $29,000.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Tesla lights up the brake lights during regen deceleration. So much so that some folks have complained it is too sensitive and shines its brake lights too much.

I've never measured, but I'd say that no pedal from 40 mph the Roadster would probably slow to creep speed in 1/4 to 1/2 block. Regen is really strong. I believe it's speed dependent, and weaker at freeway speed than at surface-road speed.

I understand the reasons for it and I accept it. But I prefer coasting in no-pedal condition. Both the electric Porsche and the Xebra experience no slowing other than wind and rolling resistance in no-pedal. That is a more relaxed mode of driving for me. Regen on the go pedal requires more constant attention on the foot.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I finally saw one on the road today.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its more effectient than other EV
    smaller = less energy needed to drive around
    so its perfect

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    definitely more a "commuter" vehicle and lesser a "family" car. smaller, but definitely capable for in town, short commutes, errands, etc. nearly all 2 vehicle families would find a good need for this.

i am glad the Leaf was first because i would have gotten the MiEV if it was first and i like the Leaf MUCH better!

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I've heard rumors that the new Fiat platform pictured above is being considered as an EV platform.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    leaf 34 kwh per 100 mile combined
    Imiev 30kwh per 100mile comb. ( 27 city and 34 highway )

11. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Saw a Miev at the NY Auto show today, and got to ride around in it. They had a part of the showroom floor set aside as a test track. For what it is, I was very impressed. Roomy for 4 people, ok, maybe not the largest people. With city driving and a little hypermiling, range is up to 90 miles...so they say, OTW the official range for mixed driving is 62 miles. Base model is around $30,500. And deduct $7500 from that for federal tax credit.

12. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Did you actually sit 4 people inside it? It can be a bit much sitting this close together because of the slim body. Unless you are sitting next to your SO of course - but when car pooling, I prefer not to rub elbows with co-workers.

13. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    PriQ,

Don't forget that;

Overall, the U.S.-spec Mitsubishi i-MiEV is now almost a foot longer
    measuring in at just over 12 feet. It is not clear where that extra length
    was added in, but the production i-MiEV does sport a much longer snout
    than the version intended for Japanese and European markets.

As for the width, it too has been stretched by about four inches to give
    the i-MiEV an overall width of 5 feet 2 inches.

The height of the car remains pretty much the same as the foreign-
    market versions.
    [/i]
    Info on U.S.-spec i-MiEV | Car.com

14. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I had forgotten about the massive changes. That would explain why one would feel less claustrophobic inside of it.
    The Euro/Japanese version is very slim, which is great for parking and aerodynamics.

15. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As others have already stated the American version has been stretched front to back and sideways. In fact I rode in the back with my wife, the driver and another passenger in front. I had much less trouble getting in and out than in a Corolla.

It's certainly not a large luxury sedan...but the promise of a city commuter car with up to 80 miles EV...for a net of about $23,000 USD.

We're gettin close here folks...IMHO anyway.