1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sawing through the headlight assembly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dalenag1, Nov 14, 2011.

1. dalenag1

dalenag1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sadly, my teenaged son rear ended someone in my 2004 Pruis a couple of weeks ago.

As part of the repairs the body shop replaced the headlight units. Getting the car back took almost a week longer than originally quoted and I was told that it was because they couldn't figure out how to get the top bulb and wiring into the new headlight units. (It's the top bulb which I think is the turn signal/running light bulb although they called it a high beam bulb). They ended up sawing through part of the plastic. They told me that this is standard practice, but I'm having a hard time believing that a new OEM part would require this.

Can one of you experts out there deny or confirm? I've been trying to find a diagram or picture that shows, 1. Does the OEM unit come with bulbs, and 2. If it doesn't need to be cut to get that top wiring/bulb installed, what is the proper way to do it.

Thank you,
    Dalena

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What the heck? There is absolutely no sawing required to install a headlight or even any bulb into the oem headlight assembly. I've taken them apart a number of times to complete a projector retrofit and never did I have to saw anything to put the other lights back in.

Could you please take a picture of what they sawed? or you could simply point your finger at the bulb you are talking about. I'm confused because the highbeam and lowbeam bulb is the same. The only other bulbs are a running light and blinker. Neither of which have any wiring inside the assembly.

You need to ensure they resealed the headlight assembly 100% or you'll end up with condensation in the lens or worse, engine grime will work its way in there.

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably an aftermarket headlight. Those things are never quite right.

1 person likes this.
  4. dalenag1

dalenag1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. I spoke with one of the Toyota repair shops here and they said the same thing, OEM headlight assemblies come with all bulbs installed.

I replaced the headlight/high beam bulbs in both sides myself. So, I'm pretty familiar with how those are removed and installed.

I'll take a new pic of the headlight to show you which bulb they said they couldn't get in without cutting through the back and post later today.

In the mean time, here are a couple of pictures of other stuff they seem to have screwed up. So sad.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dalena...&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ_m8ba4j-XwGg&feat=directlink

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If your insurance is paying for this, then talk to your adjuster, since this looks slap-dash. If you are paying out of pocket, then you don't have much recourse, if you cannot get this straight with the shop owner.

By the way, have you revoked your son's driving privilege? I strongly urge you to do so, having been hit by a teenager myself, in the side that punctured the gas tank and caused a rollover.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you have more problems than just your headlight. Definitely call your insurance adjuster and file a complaint for services rendered.