1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scam - Prius Price too good to be true

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamesrlaw, Jun 9, 2008.

1. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sometimes even legit ads have some scam to them. I was reading in my local newspaper, and in the classifieds "Toyota Camry XLE '07 - 1 Owner, Sunroof, All Power, 15k Miles, 24/45 MPG, 6CD changer. $21,550" I find it hard to believe, seeing that the 4 cylinder manual at 21/31 and the hybrid at 33/34. I guess they are pretty good at hypermiling, but I bet whoever buys that car is going to be disappointed.

2. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good point. We also have a local dealer that advertises in the local news paper as well. I know this because they frequently advertise in the Toyota section of the car classifieds (which I watch frequently) and they constantly list corollas and camrys (such as mid to late 1990's) way over EPA ratings (like 45mpg etc...). Hypermiling indeed....:mad: More like imaginarymiling. They also use any one of 3 different phone numbers in each of the different ads so it looks like different sellers.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I strung one of these scammers along far enough to get him to send me an invoice. There wasn't even a fake escrow site involved, it was just a fake invoice, designed to look like it was Ebay, with a request to wire money via Moneygram.

Scammer is using a Gmail account, but it appears the invoice was a residential RoadRunner customer in central Florida (probably Tampa) using Yahoo mail.
    received: from [72.188.252.133] by web1003.biz.mail.sp1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:46:25 PDT
    I can't tell if the scammer actually is in Florida, or if the scammer is just using a zombie computer located in Florida to send email.

PDF of fake invoice attached for your entertainment.

Should I send the scammer an email telling them I just received word that the Tampa police obtained a warrant for RoadRunner's customer records, and that he should expect a visit from the authorities any minute now?

Attached Files:

4. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely--something like hey, man, I think I should tell you ....

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Motors-security-pay.com" is owned by "diane banti" and has a placeholder website hosted by Yahoo. The email also goes to Yahoo.

www.escrow.com is the only official eBay escrow service, and they will only take a wire transfer to their bank account.

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You want it at a higher price? Google the VIN number and you get this:
    HYBRIB / CARFAX. GEAT COND. XENON. KEYLESS NO RESERVE For Sale - DragTimes.com
    same mileage indicated but here it sells for $14,425 making the $5800 a bargoon ... or NOT!!!
    ===> poor scam

In response to reporting scams like this here people are asked to report it to the local Police. Not sure what they can do about it especially if it originates from overseas.

7. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  8. jamesrlaw

jamesrlaw Two Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now we know where the VIN number and photos came from. Obviously, they use an old eBay sale to get all the info and then try to scam people with it. That's why the VIN number is valid and you can get a Carfax on it.