1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

scammed need help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by qnami, Apr 29, 2020.

1. qnami

qnami Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, I knew my money is gone. he was pro but he did leave many errors such as car fax date which I realized when I had second look few days ago. I bought 2 vehicles used before and last vehicle I purchased, elderly couple had all the documents and everything ready. Due to past pleasant experience, I made a costly mistake. Even tho car is 300k miles, I think its in good shape. Now I just have to change water pump and clean EGR stuff. it was big wake up call. When this car craps out, i think i am gonna buy new and keep it for long time.

2. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I disagree -- if the seller's claimed address is genuine. Even if it isn't, the previous owner's identity must be in a file somewhere.

In the meantime I found Toyota's official maintenance records for the vehicle with the VIN associated with the displayed Plate Number on the smog certificate. With maybe one or two exceptions, services were all performed at Toyota Town. It had passed the 39K mile mark by July 2016 and did approx. 67K miles in its first year. I got tired of looking at the details, but a rough eyeball estimate shows it being serviced close to every 5K miles -- at 3-week intervals!!

Uber service (as I suggested up-thread)? Taxi service?

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best of luck however it turns out.
    When I was young, I went through the private seller, used vehicle learning curve. Made some bad purchases. Very questionable sellers.
    Despite being young and having a meager income at the time, I also reached a point where I was just tired of the risk and hassle of private party used car purchases. So I was also spurred to start saving up for my first NEW dealership sold vehicle.

Oddly my psychology was to buy a vehicle-misrepresented as it may be, discover all the problems, then I would fix them all at my expense, but be so soured about the whole experience I would then resell the vehicle just to forget about the experience. I lost a lot of money, erasing the the problems. I probably should of just sold "as is" or once fixed- kept the vehicle.
    The only "good" thing is I was so poor, we're talking about pretty cheap used vehicles to start. So even with repair the fall wasn't as far.

In all my used vehicle purchases, the two best were a 1976 Toyota Corolla that I purchased for $400. It looked like it was a fingernails away from being scrapped, but really was great. It just kept going and going and going.
    And the 90's Accord (Dealership Purchase) was a passable used car purchase...they charged me too much and I had to put a new axle in almost immediately. BUT it was a good car and I got several years of good usage.

Otherwise, my "Private Party" buys were almost all tainted by some level of disaster.

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I wish the OP the best.
    I'm not a "used car fraud" Private Detective. IF the seller can be tracked down? That's OK with me.
    Legal representation can probably best outline exactly what the process should be, and what may be possible or NOT possible.

Just seems to add to the outline that the seller was being less than genuine when suddenly they aren't answering their phone.

5. qnami

qnami Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    its been uber car, hardcore one. Thats why I said I am suspecting I have been title jumped (also illegal in state of CA) its really down to phone number and how much does actual owner remembers the scammer if DMV decides to investigate. Also frequent service at Toyota dealership explains cleanliness of engine bay and mechanical condition of the car...48mpg, everything firm and smooth no funny noises

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to muddy the waters. But have you absolutely confirmed the mileage/history on this vehicle?
    Because I'm willing to say, that a newer vehicle (2015) with 300,000 miles could be made to look like a vehicle with far less miles.

But 300.000 miles is 300,000 miles, even with outward detailing, and maybe a lifetime of regular maintenance, it's going to show and demonstrate signs of wear.

Plus IMO Toyota dealership doesn't necessarily explain the cleanliness of the engine bay. In my experience most dealerships aren't primarily into detailing a vehicle. Again with 300,000 miles at one point that engine was dirty. It can be steam cleaned. detailed by anyone, and made to look clean, but a history of service at a Toyota dealership doesn't necessarily mean they were the ones to do it. Some offer the service, some don't. But if it was done at a Toyota dealership it should be in the cars recorded Toyota maintenance records. As well as mileage entries.

The way you describe the vehicle wants to make me go back to step 1.
    Confirming exactly what you are dealing with.
    Because I'm willing to believe in a 300,000 mile 2015 made to look like it's a lot younger vehicle in terms of miles.
    BUT I'm not willing to believe in a 300,000 mile vehicle that in ALL respects looks and acts like a vehicle with 39,000 miles.
    You can't put 300,000 miles on a vehicle without those miles being evident in some ways.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Priuschat, place were you lead horses to water and they get beaten to death.

#67 Grit, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
    2012 Prius v wagon 3 likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Cosmo Tigato likes this.
  9. qnami

qnami Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Vin on my car, title and real car fax and as well as toyota service record comfirms it. Now I am not auto mechanic but a&p, and this is my first Toyota vehicle. I dont know much about the car and characteristic or the brand. I have been DIYing engines, suspension and transmissions to tell if car is taken care of. When I test drove the car and within 2 months of driving it, i never thought once that this car has 300k miles. 2 months it didnt burn oil and drove stopped smooths. Suspension firm with bad SF roads. I recently went under for oil change and oil pan and undrcover was pretty good shape as well.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota maintenance doesn't include engine bay cleaning. I used to spray clean my engine bay once a month, but after moving I stopped cleaning it. Everything in the engine bay always blinged even with 100,000 miles. It's just like facial make up, any women will look younger with it.

RMB and The Electric Me like this.
  11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well good luck...with ownership and whatever you pursue from this point out.

Data Daedalus, qnami and Grit like this.
  12. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, especially not a part of regular maintenance.
    But I would say my dealership did offer detailing services, IF you wanted to pay for them. They had "guy" that did those type of things.
    My Prius was new enough that it was never an issue.

Plus, yeah, ANYONE can steam clean/detail an engine. There's endless tutorials on youtube, even though I think most of them are dangerously incompetent examples.

Data Daedalus and Grit like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I know...right?
    I've made it my life's goal to get on @Grit greatest hits board, and some people can do it in under 20 posts... :(

RMB and Grit like this.
  14. qnami

qnami Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now no one is gonna take fancy scanner or do compression test on engine while buying a used car. I cannot say I have in depth knowledge of combustable engine to tell whether it is healthy or bad engine. But I personally do my own engine work on my s54 and m54 engines and from those experience I can at least tell engine is functioning alright at the time of purchase. And even 2 months of driving the car I still didnt notice of burning engine oil or mixture issues.

#74 qnami, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacement engine?

16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK, so are you going to DO something about this or not ?

If yes, you NEED a lawyer.

Discussing it in places like this ad infinitum accomplishes exactly NOTHING.
    Well, except keeping an interesting thread going.

17. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No indication in the official Toyota service record of a replacement engine.

BTW, the engine and inverter coolant were replaced at approx. 100K and 200K, but the dealer's recommendation to do so again at 291K miles was not performed. So maybe the new owner should do that.

Brake fluid exchange at 255K -- and again at 280K!!

Transmission fluid drain and fill at approx. 120K and 220K. Maybe about time to do that again too.

Something else has occurred to me: was the "seller" of the car ever its official owner? Could he have been merely a middle man who bought the car from the registered owner and got the car detailed and the odometer rolled back but never had it registered in his name. Could this explain the report near the beginning of the thread that the original owner "had not released" the vehicle (or some such wording)?

qnami likes this.
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or, maybe the newer motor only has 37,000 miles on it...

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

There’s no indication that a newer motor was swapped in.

20. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And no record of any EGR service. If the engine hardly ever got a chance to cool down (5K miles every 3 weeks), would that make a difference? Should the new owner get that checked out?