1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SCAMMED?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Alex D, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Alex D

Alex D New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I brought my car to a Toyota dealership telling them that the engine shut down on me on the road. They told me they would diagnose the issue then let me know if I wanted to go forward with the repairs. After "diagnosing the issue, " they told me that the auxiliary battery needed to be replaced as well as a long charge on the hybrid battery. After about $1200 in fees, they told me the engine would not start and needed to be replaced, causing me to sell the car for parts. When I went to confront the assistant manager, he told me that they needed to check the battery before they could get to/check the engine. They never once told me there was an issue with the engine during the entire process. Sounds like a scam. What do you think?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Toyota of Baltimore told you that interesting.

3. Alex D

Alex D New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No it was Heritage Toyota Catonsville. Do you have any knowledge on this?

4. Alex D

Alex D New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it’s quite simple, the engine and the battery are two separate things … they either misdiagnosed the issue or it’s a scam.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely a scam. contact your states ag consumer affairs, and lodge a compaint with toyota customer service.
    where is the car now? you need to get it to an indy mechanic, and ask toyota for the trouble codes, you certainlypaid enough for them.