1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scammers now targeting viral concerns

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have probably heard the cautions, but while I routinely cleaned out my gmail trash folder today, instead of the junk I usually have that is heavy on women who can't live unless they meet me or thir life will not be worth living unless they send me their nude photos -- or -- I have won a hundred jillion dollars....

I had several based on viral fears, including the funniest one -- which was "protect yourself -- get your concealed carry permit guaranteed."

HA. First, since I am mostly home, do not need a concealed carry permit. Second, seems to me I read that most jurisdictions had suspended issuing permits because they have better things to do right now. Third, not really a gun person, but if you are fine.

Glad I set the phone up a couple years ago so we no longer get telemarketers....

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The large offices where only scammers reside are well known, these are large organizations, long gone are the days of the half naked fat guy sitting in his moms basement scamming his community.

Some folks hack the scammers Showing who and where they are, intercepting security video.
    They even look pretty much like legitimate overseas businesses
    I hear about cyber warfare All the time
    maybe a well placed bomb or two would take care of the problem for a while.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I received the same message today. Sent it straight to the spam folder.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 3.15.21 PM.png

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess what bothers me most about this?
    Is the fact that we are defining scams about getting a concealed weapons permit as being a "viral concern".

Last time I checked you couldn't shoot the virus out of the air.

I realize the apocalyptic tone and nature of current times have a lot of people, hoarding ammo, and guns, but I don't think obtaining or not obtaining a concealed weapons permit REALLY is a corona virus related issue. Or IMO it shouldn't be.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are right. It should not be a viral concern. But, it is.

Lots of folks seem to think they may have to barricade themselves in their homes and fight off hungry hordes. I suppose. Of course, in some of our more rural areas, such as mine. I suppose some people may think it might come down to having to hunt and gather their own food. Sort of like my wife and her #@$% vegetable garden idea this year.

Of course I told her I was onboard with digging up a 40x30 foot patch of hard soil, hauling 180 cubic feet of soil amendment some forty yards across rough ground, mixing it in and planting and weeding and watering -- hey, WAIT -- I know what I need guns for...

Keeping the deer, rabbits, chipmunks, raccoons and squirrels out of the vegetables!!

But, then again, isn't that what our poodle is for? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

[​IMG]

#5 Stevewoods, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing new here. My email junk box has been collecting those concealed carry permit scam spams for several years, long long before this pandemic originated.

Having had my carry permits (current residential state and original home state) since before anyone had a web browser, I'm not impressed by their sales pitch. They seem like the credit reports sites where you pay them to tell you where to get the free annual reports that the industry is required to provided.

#6 fuzzy1, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are always going to be times when state permits and gun/ammo sales spike.
    Natural disasters and pandemics two of those times, and scammers are going to do what scammers do.
    If you're not familiar with the carry laws in your area, then you should not be permitted to carry a firearm.

It's like a parachute.
    If you need one, and you do not have one then it's likely that you'll never need one again.
    BUT(!!)
    If you're not familiar with how to use one, then it's NOT likely that having one will improve your situation very much.....and nobody was ever accidentally shot with an unloaded parachute!
    I say this as a person who has held a carry permit since before anybody knew what reciprocity laws looked like or the difference between "shall issue" and "may issue."
    I dig 2A, but I also like letting cities and states do their thing.

The time to do the noodle dance on this is BEFORE things get interesting.
    If you live in a place that is subject to natural disasters, wildfires, or civil unrest following a national championship win....and you do NOT have all of this sorted out, then this might be a good time to think about a few things.

The same advice that I often give to people who live in alabaster deserts and have to defend their catalytic converters also apply here.

Use a barrier (chicken wire or garden fencing) or electric fence tape.

Uncorking a blunderbuss at oh-dark-thirty to protect your maders is noisy, ineffective, expensive and probably not legal ...or you COULD just plant enough for you, your wife AND the wabbits.

#7 ETC(SS), Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020