1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan Gauge II Modification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Priusfromevil, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you mount the ScanGuage on the left side of the dash, just in front of the vent, you can run the cable down the side of the dash, press fitting it in between the moulding. Then wrap up the slack, run it over the steering wheel column under the dash, and plug it in. Virtually invisible, no hardware, not modifications to the care, stays in place.

2. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can see the display with the cover closed at night, but you may have to move your head a bit to see all four readings on the SG II. I'd suggest you attach your SG II and place it in the proposed mounting places and see what you can see. Its tough to get a picture due to lighting, but safe to say the display can be read through the window at night. Anyhow here's two pics one through the door with the door closed and one with it open. No flash was used so its hard to see anything else but the SG II.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, just what I was hoping. It seems plenty visible there.

Thanks for paving the way, I will be performing this install next weekend.

4. Graham Bowkett

Graham Bowkett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just ordered an SGII and I plan to put it right there so it is visible through the steering wheel.

5. Graham Bowkett

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KK6PD, not sure what you mean by "CHP vehicle extender", I'm guessing you mean some sort of frequency is put out on 154.905 by the radar unit. So I am wondering if that works in other areas? But I keep my radio on APRS and the local ARES frequency. (Sorry people this is Ham Radio chatter!) K5GJB.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but you are thinking! It is a nFM system the officer wears. When the officer is away from the car it's the way to communicate through the car's 42 Mhz lo band system! There is also a feature that if the officer goes down, it transmits a distress bacon. The 154 system is left on, so it's easy to receive!. One side of a dual band rcvr in my truck is always tuned to that freq, when I hear a carrier break squelch, a quick check of the S-meter gives relative distance... it works for me!!! Another giveaway, if they do run radar, they leave it on in idle mode, when they see a car, they ping the vehicle, which is a different discernible pulse on my detector audio!

7. Graham Bowkett

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KK6PD, Is that frequency standard across the country? Guess I’ll tune to 154.905 and find out.
    Graham K5GJB

8. Nortnarg

Nortnarg Prius~To go before

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is what I did: Take the scanguage apart and riveted a piece of plastic to the backside. Then the plastic slides neatly into the gap where the dash has a small gap. The wire I twisted together with the GPS wire and ran to floor and inside the console to power.
    You could probably glue the plastic to the scanguage also.
    Works for me!

9. Graham Bowkett

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should get my ScanGauge tomorrow along with the 16” antenna from AntennaX. My radio/ nav unit is back and installed.
    All is good except XM reception. How does one know if it is an antenna problem or just the satellite hiding behind the mountains and trees?