1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan Gauge II new owner questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daveleeprius, Mar 23, 2007.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK folks, got the scan guage II now installed in our 2007 Prius. Neat little gadget I must say.

I've not yet read the entire manual so forgive me if I am asking neophyte questions.

What do I have to enter into this thing, and how do I enter it, to get the most out of it?

And do you all just leave this plugged in all the time? If I unplug it does it lose whatever settings it has, such as gas consumption, trip milage, etc? I am tempted to leave it plugged in and for now am just going to leave it between the seat and the center console, out of sight, but the black cable is still there, highly visible with the bisque interior to anyone looking in, and I'm a little concerned about someone breaking in to steal it.

We've got a lot of new users here, hopefull this thread can be a good starting place for us.

Dave

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a quick reply, I doubt anyone would steal it. If they did, would they know what it is, or what to do with it? They would probably rather steal something they can easily use or sell.

And of course, read the manual...it's not that long.

3. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Mar 23 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]411014[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know. At night, the display stays on for a period of time and it stands out and says "Steal me!" It may pique the interest of any thief passing by just to see what it is. Steal first, ask questions later.

The Scangauge itself gives users more useful operating information, predominantly coolant temp and battery voltage and RPM. I haven't decided what fourth gauge reading would be very useful.

However, if and when your car develops a problem that generates a error code, you'll be able to read it and be more informed when talking to the service advisor. Also when your other car, friend's or neighbor's car has a "Check Engine" light, you'll be able to scan those as well and be a hero when you tell them to tighten up their gas cap and clear the error light for them. Or tell them their O2 sensor heater is open, so on and so on.

4. engworks

engworks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenk @ Mar 23 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]411206[/snapback]</div>
    There are up too 200 possible error codes just for the battery, don't know if this scan gauge 2 tool will read those, the factory tool to date for Prius is a Vetronix Mastertech, loaded with Toyota software. Also possible errors codes on a Prius in general are probally 800 plus including body, nav, abs, brakes modules, And most service writers probally wouldn't have a clue about errors codes on hybrids at this time as they are very new to our industry.

Eric

www.engine-works.com

5. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

A few things you will probably want to enter to get the most accurate fuel readings:

Go to MORE>SETUP>ENGINE and set to 1.5 liters.

MORE>SETUP>FUEL>TYPE and change to HYBRID - If you dont change this, the unit will shut off when the ICE stops.

MORE>SETUP>FUEL>TANK SIZE - I entered 11 here although Ive never been able to add more than 8 gals on a fillup.

Read the instructions on pages 18-19 carefully. It explains what to do when you fillup your tank.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Most of your questions would be answered in the manuel. Actually the little blue book (manuel) that came with it has writing to small, I can hardly read it, so I'm attempting to attach the PDF I downloaded here which is much easier to read. Good luck!!

Attached Files:

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I only worry about theft in certain locations (shopping malls, theater parking lots, "bad side" of town). I just pull the Scangauge off the dash and put it on the console or floor. It's just fastened with velcro - that's what makes it so easy. Idiots (theves) will often think it's a radar detector, and they know they can get money for those, so if they see it on the dash you can loose a side window and the Scangauge. Curiously, the window costs more than the Scangauge!

Leave it connected all the time. It doesn't do any harm. It doesn't seem to loose its' settings after disconnecting however. I removed mine when the anti-Prius (see below) was in the body shop for a month and a half. When I plugged it back in it still had all the settings in memory (engine size, fuel tank size, engine type).

8. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here are the mounting pics for my brand new scangauge :D

I stuck it on the dash as far left as I could without interfering with the small air vents next to the driver side window. The cable installation is somewhat 'stealth' and completely reversible since I just jammed it between the rubber molding that goes around the door frame. I only used one zip tie under above the foot well to hold the extra 1' of cable in place.

Now I can clearly see the gauges while driving and also reach the buttons if I need to adjust something. (The pictures don't really do it justice - the SG "blends in" quite nicely since there are already several digital displays in the vehicle.)
    [attachmentid=7072]
    [attachmentid=7073]

Attached Files:

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Nice work Ari, I like that. Real clean look.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Mar 24 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]411624[/snapback]</div>
    I like Ari's location as well, May I have permission to use that? Any royalties needed?

I can understand the concern for theft if a cable is running across the carpet. A thief that sees it might think it is connected to an IPOD or such and break the windows just to see what it goes to. With Ari's installation, it is clearly not an IPOD, so may reduce the risk.

For a completely steath installation, I have noticed that Scan Guage II fits snuggly into the small compartment (cd cubby?) under the radio such that no velcro would be needed to hold it in place. If installed there, and not pressed in too deep, it will be completely hidden when the compartment door is closed, and visible when the door swings down to open. If you push it in too deep, the top line of the readout starts to be hidden by the bollom of the radio. Only problem is you do need to make a hole for cable to ender from the back. Maybe in the top corner of the compartment way back were it will not be noticible later if anyone decides not to use the compartment for Scan Guage any more.

As far as the 11 gallon setting, I am thinking that I will do an experiment by letting the feul get down to last segment flashing, and then see how much I can get in as many have said the bladder may only accept about 8 gallons. This could cause an inacurate Distance Till Empty readout if the meter is set for 11 gallons.

11. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

I left mine at 11 because after the second fillup, you are to enter the number of gallons just filled and the unit will calculate an adjustment factor (p.19) and then use this for accurate fuel readings. I presume this affects all fuel readings on the gauge. I still havent had that second fillup yet so I cant verify this.

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< FIRST: Thanks for the .pdf file posted = SUPER INFORMATION!!

I have a question. I don't have a ScanGauge2 but am interested. The .pdf instruction file indicates a connection to the vehicle's 12-volt system, and further comments on "sleep mode." My question: Does the ScanGauge2 draw on the Prius 12v auxiliary battery when the Prius is OFF? I suppose my question is: Is the 12-volt pin in the OBDII connecter hot when the Prius is OFF?

I would hope the OBDII connector pin is cold when the Prius is OFF to avoid a load on the 12v battery.

13. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't officially tested it, but I'm going to say that the pin is cold when the car is off.

14. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the pin is actually hot even when the car is OFF. The SG knows when to go to sleep after you turn off the car. However, if you then poke the 'home' button on the SG, the display lights up again! It doesn't seem to switch off after that even though the car is off.

Summary: don't mess with the SG after you have turned off the car.

Has anyone else witnessed similar behavior?

15. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Now that you mention it, I do recall reading in the manual that the SG goes to "sleep" 12 seconds after it's touched last. Maybe it was 15.

Yes, here we go. Page 4 of the manual:
    <blockquote>
    </blockquote>

16. Mr07touring

Mr07touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's another mounting option. I tried on top of the MFD and it was just out of reach and a bit too visible from outside the car when parked - here is a pic mounted just below the CD slot :[attachmentid=7139]

Attached Files:

17. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I finally got around to taking some pics of my car, inside and out. Here's mine (SG I), secured with Velcro. Excess cable is coiled around the windshield wiper stalk. This position allows me to quickly glance between it, the MFD, and the speedometer without shifting line of sight far from the road.

[​IMG]

18. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have one issue with my SG2. On numerous times when I start my car the SG2 turns on with different screens, sometimes it shows the gauges display that I left it at and sometimes is shows the setup screen. Shouldn't it turn on with the screen that it was turned off at?

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, the Scangauge II is easily confused. If I press the "on" button with the car off, it sometimes goes into "neverland" (I do this to check the 12V battery voltage). I just unplug it and plug it back in (and run the car for a few seconds so it connects). Sometimes it will go to a different display when you start the car. Sometimes it will turn on when you lock or unlock the car. And finally, sometimes it will refuse to turn off!

Mine is mounted as the first picture above, on the left. I display:

fuel consumption (l/hr)-----------------------12V battery voltage

engine RPM------------------------------------coolant temperature

If you set the tank size in metric you can put in the specified value (45 litres).

I am fascinated with the engine RPM when shutting off, running with no fuel, and the RPM when the vehicle is challenged by steep hills/passing.

I don't use the Scanguage fuel numbers as they are not very accurate. I do use the RPM, battery voltage, and coolant temp readouts to monitor the car's performance.

I've seen 5000 RPM on mountain pass climbs at high speed (8% grades at 105 km/hr or about 65 MPH).

The battery is kept at 13.7 to 13.8V when the car is running currently. Ambient temp in the 20C range. I hope/expect it to be in the low 14V area in the winter.

Coolant temp seems to hold around 80C or below. I have not seen the cooling system challenged yet, even when climbing steep mountain pass' for 10 miles or more. But it hasn't been hot here yet.