1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan Gauge II new owner questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daveleeprius, Mar 23, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, the Scangauge II is easily confused. If I press the "on" button with the car off, it sometimes goes into "neverland" (I do this to check the 12V battery voltage). I just unplug it and plug it back in (and run the car for a few seconds so it connects). Sometimes it will go to a different display when you start the car. Sometimes it will turn on when you lock or unlock the car. And finally, sometimes it will refuse to turn off!

Mine is mounted as the first picture above, on the left. I display:

fuel consumption (l/hr)-----------------------12V battery voltage

engine RPM------------------------------------coolant temperature

If you set the tank size in metric you can put in the specified value (45 litres).

I am fascinated with the engine RPM when shutting off, running with no fuel, and the RPM when the vehicle is challenged by steep hills/passing.

I don't use the Scanguage fuel numbers as they are not very accurate. I do use the RPM, battery voltage, and coolant temp readouts to monitor the car's performance.

I've seen 5000 RPM on mountain pass climbs at high speed (8% grades at 105 km/hr or about 65 MPH).

The battery is kept at 13.7 to 13.8V when the car is running currently. Ambient temp in the 20C range. I hope/expect it to be in the low 14V area in the winter.

Coolant temp seems to hold around 80C or below. I have not seen the cooling system challenged yet, even when climbing steep mountain pass' for 10 miles or more. But it hasn't been hot here yet.

2. wesshaw1@mac.com

[email protected] '08,pkg3,GPS,ScanGaugeII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    tdmalek... Thanks so much for your older post relative to: MORE>SETUP>FUEL>TYPE and change to HYBRID - If you dont change this, the unit will shut off when the ICE stops..... I finally received my ScanGauge II yesterday, found it very intuitive, used it for 3 hrs. of driving..... AND was very frustrated by it shutting down in 12 sec. whenever the ICE shut down....! (Boy what a pain in the neck—literally—having to reach forward and push the button seemingly constantly!) Couldn't believe it.... With no info in the manual, I tried various 'logical' button combos to adjust the 12 sec's. with no luck. Came to Prius chat this a.m. Did quick search on "Automatic Sleep Mode" and your post was on the first page. Out to the car (earlier warmed up), changed fuel type to Hybrid, and tra-la-la, it worked!!! In doing the initial setup I'd noticed the choices but "thought" that 'Hybrid' might have indicated some type of no-ethanol gas that might be available in some parts of the country...?! In any event, went just now to the manual again and there, on page 16, mid-page, they have the note. Feel like a fool to have missed it....! In any event, your kind post saved a Newbie a lot of time. What a great site! —Thank You! Wes Shaw from the 'end of the world' in Downeast Coastal Maine on a 'balmy' winter day @ 14º.....

3. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another question for the guru's. What is the humming sound under the hood that SG causes? It seems to come from the fuse box (battery jumper area). Is it simply the SC drawing power/working? The humming can be heard inside (and at fuse box) if the car is powered up, but not moving.

Anyone else?

~~~~~~~~~
    Edit:

Upon further inspection, It appears I was wrong, and that the humming is simply a Prius thing. I had simply not noticed it before.

*Pinan smacks forehead*

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can also get it to display HV battery voltage and state of charge. There is a thread somewhere here that I posted with the coding.

It's kind a cool to watch those numbers change

Icarus

5. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here you go:

Prius HV battery state of charge
    TXT 07E321CE
    RXF 056186CE0000
    RXD 3008
    MTH 000A00020000
    NAM SOC

Prius HV battery voltage
    TXT 0033
    RXF 0100023B0000
    RXD 2010
    MTH 000100010000
    NAM BTV

Horse power
    TXD 00
    RXF 4008000000
    RXD 0000
    MTH 000A00170000
    NAM HPR

~~~
    Here's another one I stumbled upon:

Pack current [Amps]
    TXD: 07E321CE
    RXF: 056186CE0000
    RXD: 3810
    MTH: 0001000AF333
    Name: AMP

6. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got mine connected today. The HV Battery, etc. from Pinan are some great settings. Good work!

Anyone know what the "Cutoff" setting is under the fuel section? It doesn't seem to be in the manual. Mine is set for "24".

Update (3/20):
    I got an answer from the big SG in the sky. The Cutoff setting indicates the fuel cutoff position for the throttle while driving. It should be set 3 points higher than the lowest TPS value when your foot is off the throttle. (This info is not in manual.) They didn't say what it was used for. I set mine for "16".

7. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just did this (as I quoted myself above)

I drilled a large enough hole at the deep end of the pocket/tray below the radio, then i pulled the OBDII cable end with RJ45 on it into the tray, and then i velcroed the gauge in the opening. at night you can use the gauge with transparent tray cover closed as backlight makes it visible, but during the day you need to have tray cover open.

I tucked the extra cable behind the semi-circular cover that is mounted between floor and dashboard.
    all in all pretty neat install, no cable mess.

I am planing to install couple of other indicator lights next to scangauge, maybe i'll build a indicator circuitry for 12 V battery voltage (healthy = green, low = red) and maybe something else usefull, then mount all on a custom backplate that would also house the scangauge.

interestingly, I changed the scangauge mode to hybrid, but it keeps shutting down within 12 seconds after ICE stops. I am clueless as why is this happening.

BTW, it is fascinating to learn about relationship of ICE RPMs and vehicle speed.
    I was able to improve my MPGs just by trying to keep ICE between 1600 to 1800 RPM after i accelerated briskly
    after i reached freeway speeds of 60- 70 MPh.

8. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

i presume those are XGauge functions that we can punch in?

9. bdhoyt

bdhoyt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anyone know if the vacuum pressure is available?

or anything else of interest?

10. chksmithcis

chksmithcis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I placed my SG2 into the tray below the radio just to see if it would fit and how it would look. It is a tight fit. What I noticed is that the unit would go to sleep even though it was set on hybrid. When I removed it from the tray, no issues going to sleep. Maybe it is just my SG2, but try pulling it out of the tray and see if it goes to sleep.

--Chuck

11. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yup. :)

12. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it seems that scangauge works fine now even though it is still in the tray

i think i did not save configuration originally, so it went to another non-hybrid mode.

my issue now is that gauge does not show SOC, maybe the code i punched in is wrong?
    does anyone have a good set of codes for SOC that work for you?

13. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The one that I posted works fine for me. It's one of the 4 I have displayed while driving.

14. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the codes in Post #25 are correct. I did notice that if you try to display two of the HV (battery) gauges at the same time it will not let you. For example if you have HV current shown and then try to get HV SOC to also show it will be blank. Can anyone verify if I am correct or are both supposed to be able to display at the same time?

15. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am able to show both (SOC and BTV) at the same time. You can not however (why would you want to) display two SOC's, two BTV's, etc., at the same time.

:)

16. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    SpartanScott,

that was exactly the problem!

my codes were not wrong, it is just that displaying SOC and HV current does not work on my scangauge as well.

thanks for the tip!

17. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    mine works too in this mode, but BTV (if i remember acronym properly) is measuring the voltage from 12 V battery, whilst SOC and HV is taking measurements from Hi Voltage battery.

can you display 2 readings from HV battery simultaneously?

18. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTV is also the HV battery. These two measure the same battery:

Prius HV battery state of charge
    TXT 07E321CE
    RXF 056186CE0000
    RXD 3008
    MTH 000A00020000
    NAM SOC

Prius HV battery voltage
    TXT 0033
    RXF 0100023B0000
    RXD 2010
    MTH 000100010000
    NAM BTV

What is the "HV" that you are trying to show?

19. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you are right, i did not have access to car when i posted this so my memory slipped a bit.
    BTV is high voltage battery, I thought it was HV

i double checked this yesterday. I cannot display SOC and charging amps simultaneously (whatever acronym is)
    I can display traction battery voltage and SOC or
    traction battery voltage and traction battery amperage, but not SOC and traction battery amps simultaneously.

is this how your scan gauge works?

20. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. This is what I noticed too. Does anyone know a technical reason for this or is it that the HV Computer can not spit out the two values at the same time?