1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan tools autel maxidas mx808

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Blurredforlife, May 10, 2020.

1. Blurredforlife

Blurredforlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought a autel maxidas mx 808 because of its functionality with other vehicles and good reviews. Has anyone used this on a Prius? I'm want to have the ability to troubleshoot and read codes as well as sub codes. Should I have purchased a techstream?

#1 Blurredforlife, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No and no.

pjksr02 likes this.
  3. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Techstream is software that runs on a computer, and connects with a car through a compatible interface.

Blurredforlife likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its possible your Maxidas is as good as common ODB2 readers and perhaps better. It would be interesting to know what you can do with it as you progress. For example can you add keys and do device controls like operate windows or electric motors on the car. Probably can't do ECU updates where you need special Toyota access.

Some users have a hacked Techstream PC download combined with a designed for purpose obd2 hardwired interface (Mini VCI) that connects to the PC. The software requires registry edits and may only work on XP and Win7. It is limited since its hacked and not supported by Toyota. The legitimate version starts at Techstream Lite with a one year subscription for $1600. https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_pageLabel=ti_ts_lite&_nfpb=true

Most of us get by with an ODB2 bluetooth interface and free apps like Dr Prius (hv battery data and a proprietary test algorithm although some codes and clearing are included) and other apps like "Car Scanner" or "Torque" (Torque is Android only I believe). Some of the apps are picky on the OBD2 device and the free apps usually don't provide all or any of the controls and flashing capabilities like Techstream.

I find this ODB2 scanner functional:

#4 rjparker, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Blurredforlife likes this.