1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge 2 still worth?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SizzlinKola, Dec 19, 2017.

1. SizzlinKola

SizzlinKola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I’m considering getting a ScanGauge 2 but not sure if it’s worth since I already have the average MPG shown on my dash.

I know it’s a big thing here on PriusChat but many of those threads are a couple of years old. Is it stil valuable? Are there better options now?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only worth it if it is worth it to you. what kind of info would make it worthwhile? i don't know specifics, but i think there are some phone apps as well.
    i'm in my 14th year of ownership. in that time, i have thought about getting one, but can't really see using it after i've seen all of the data it shows.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I disconnect mine over 2 years back, basically because it was causing increasingly regular "Check Hybrid System" warning, and messed up brake performance/warning lights. I'm not conclusively sure, but since disconnecting the warnings have not returned. Could just crappy OBD port in my car, who knows. Anyway:

The one thing I really miss is coolant temp. The Prius is a car dedicated to good mpg, and engine warm-up is paramount to that. I guess I'm just ranting that.

I also liked monitoring trip mpg, but that you can wangle with the trip meters.

Also added XGauges for hybrid battery temp, and fan speed, both of which I appreciated.

And another XGauge, to display AC compressor status, if it's running and at what level of wattage.

All good stuff, but the Check Hybrid System was the deal breaker. :(

WilDavis and bisco like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't neglect to explore the numerous competing options, many with vastly more modern displays. Usually cheaper too.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! I have two SG-IIs and have set up X-gauges as follows:

Version 4.13

Upper: ICE(RPM) ICE(degF)
    AuxBat(V) ICE(HP)
    Lower: TracBat(Soc)/(csd)/(bTV) TracBat(+/-btA)
    Inst(MPG) Avg(MPG)

RPM and water-temp of ICE are very important, particularly as I grille-block during the winter. The SoC and current to and from the TracBattery (along with the ICE(HP)) are useful for optimizing MPG, as is Inst(MPG) and Avg(MPG).

Oh look! …here's a picture:
    SG-II.jpg

- hope this helps - Wil ;)

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bottom line, forgot to mention: I missed scangauge, more so at first, but ultimately no big deal.

I still hook it up very intermittently, just for a moment to check specifics.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Love mine! Would recommend. Engine temp and RPM is most important to me.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have mine only for engine temp and RPM. Yanno some of these should be on the standard display grouping.

orenji likes this.
  9. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I run two of them, for many of the same reasons (engine temp, rpm, etc). I also like to see the current draw (or input to) from the hybrid battery as well as some other things. I like using them, although as Mendel pointed out you can get by without them once you get used to not having the data. More of a nerd fun thing for me I guess.

If you get weird communication errors like mentioned above, try setting the mode to CAN SF (bus type that matches Prius, at least 3rd gen) instead of auto. I did that on mine since I am using two of them and haven't had a single issue in almost 2 years.

orenji and Mendel Leisk like this.