1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scangauge code for power of MG1 and MG2, not torque or RPM

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Roger T, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello there,

I always wanted to understand how MG1 generates electricity and feed it to MG2 in some scenarios.

So the Scangauge has existing code to read the RPM and torque of MG1 and MG2. But is there a reading of the power of MG1 and MG2? Of course i cannot find it in the ScanGauge Prius google doc.

Any Prius gurus can give me some insights? Is there a way to know how much power MG1 and MG2 is generating/consuming? I don't want to calculate the power of MG1/MG2 by multiplying the RPM*torque.

Attached is the google doc.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Good question......

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    HP = t × rpm / 5252

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, there are two possibilities ... either the HV computer already has that calculated product available as another PID that no one has ever found, or you need to define a sort of virtual PID that retrieves the RPM and torque PIDs and multiplies them.

I think it is possible to define such things in, for example, the Torque smartphone app. I don't think there's a way to define a ScanGauge XGAUGE that does it, unless they've added the capability in newer firmware than I have.

-Chap