1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scangauge DTC codes changing???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pjc, Aug 22, 2012.

1. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Has anyone had this experience? When I use the "scan" feature of my Scangauge II, sometimes the DTC code and/or freeze frame data will change on me. That is, I check it and it says "1 stored code" (without clearing it), then go back to "Gauge" and then check the scanning function again, sometimes the code has changed to something else! With the freeze frame data, sometimes it will even change as I'm scrolling through the different data fields. Very disconcerting....

2. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've this problem for over a year. My car will turn on the Check Engine Light after warming up on my first drive of the day, usually, not always, display P0000, and if I don't quickly clear it, then will start scrolling codes , most starting with U. When I do clear it with my scangauge, the light goes away for the day. Car runs fine.
    Found a link with some info, but no solution....:
    Scangauge: Showing Codes That Start With Letter "U" | PriusChat

3. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That's not exactly my experience. It happened again the other day. The Check Engine light came on and I pulled the code right away with my SGII and it said P1116. Out of curiosity I did not clear the code. About 10 min later I checked again and it said P0000.

Incidentally, about 10 min after that I had another P0000 (I'd cleared the first) and got the triangle of death and limp mode -- this is related to my Enginer PHEV converter, though.

Anybody have a similar experience? My SGII is the older 3.x firmware.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a SGII with 4.05 rev. When I had my car in to the dealer for Front and Rear Brake TSB work I disconnected the SGII. When I picked up the car I re-connected the SGII and checked for any DTC's since I would think that at least one or more DTC's may have been thrown during the brake work and then cleared. IIRC it came back with no codes and then began scrolling through a long code list. The only way to stop it was to do a Default Reset on the SGII.

5. Marty2go

Marty2go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

6. Marty2go

Marty2go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have this same problem, scrolling codes when looked up they are all fake codes like the scanner picked ones that are not in any data base. I just bought the car and I think they tried to charge the 12 volt and maybe reversed polarity. All my scanners are not connecting to the battery computer even thou the car runs and drives great it is only getting 37 mpg because of this non communication and getting a Po420 for cat efficiency I think due to the long term bad performance from non communication. I think I seem to have that is not fixable is noncommunication between computers, please help!!!!!

7. Marty2go

Marty2go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think one of the computers is not reporting the error codes but I just don't know which one does that. Does anyone know which computer would report to the scanner tI think that would fix ithe codes from the battery computer. If I knew which one I could just replace it.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need tech stream or similar

Skibob likes this.
  9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, what scanner are you using? A generic type like the kind you buy at Harbor Fright cannot scan ALL the Toyota codes, just the emissions ones. That’s mostly fine for non hybrid cars but not for hybrids.