1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge II - new features to be added

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Green Hokie, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have to wonder how long the turn around time is when I mail mine back.

2. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update: I spoke to the folks at Linear-Logic today. Unfortunately, they are still testing/tweaking the new software and estimate another 2 weeks before they can begin shipping new SGII units with the update. I'll continue to advise as I hear more.

3. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Aug 14 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]495892[/snapback]</div>
    Did you set your fuel type to "hybrid"??

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Aug 31 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]504910[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I did. That is not the problem and has to do with voltage drops in the Prius. The SG2 folks know about the issue and said the firmware update will allow the SG2 to start up in the screen it shut down at.

5. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Aug 21 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]499918[/snapback]</div>

Any news about the mod? What should I do to get on the PriusChat list to get an SGII?

Burns
    2007 Super White
    Package NL (Nav, no leather)
    Coastal Hitch, Mudflaps, Lockpick

6. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div align="center">Update: Just spoke to Linear-Logic today. The new SGII units with the updated software (CAN protocols) are shipping today!! I presume this means Danny at PriusChat will be receiving his shipment of updated SCII units soon.</div>

7. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Sep 10 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]510136[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks Green Hokie.

Like a lot of folks, I'm interested in mailing in my SG to LL for the upgrade. Any information re: when, how, & how much from you or anyone else would be much appreciated. I may just give them a call myself. ;)

8. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello, I have a little update for you all too. I just spoke to Ron at Linear Logic and we are setting up an apt. hopefuly for tomorrow to do some testing on my Prius with the new CAN protocols. We need to run some software on my cars computer to pull as many codes as possible to try out on the Scangauge so that we can get a complete list of all the new gauges we will be able to create within the new updated firmware. I will keep you updated as I find out more.

9. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just a clarification. While the updated software supports CAN protocols, Linear-Logic does not yet have the proper codes to allow your Prius to display the additional functions (like SOC, battery temp, etc...). It will probably be another week or so before Linear-Logic will have some of the Prius codes for everyone to view & use. As they become available, more Prius codes will be posted on their website (scangauge.com) with instructions for entering & set-up into your SGII unit.

mparrish, you should contact Linear-Logic for instructions on how to return your SGII unit for the software update.

10. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I met with Ron today after work to pull all the CAN data from my cars computer. The software used ended up pulling around 300 or so from the car. It is now a matter of filtering out the useful ones so that those w/ the updated firmware can enter whatever parameters they want into the Scangauge. We were able to locate the most requested code to display the SOC, so thats a plus. Will keep you updated.

11. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Sep 11 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]510901[/snapback]</div>
    I looked on the Scangauge web page and could not find anything about Prius, adding codes, or anything else. Does the new firmware allow you customize the codes for items that you want to ask for? Is that what you are figuring out? Is what you are figuring out going to go into a new version of firmware, or are the codes something that the user punches in?

Thanks...

12. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Sep 11 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]510901[/snapback]</div>
    I looked on the Scangauge web page and could not find anything about Prius, adding codes, or anything else. Does the new firmware allow you customize the codes for items that you want to ask for? Is that what you are figuring out? Is what you are figuring out going to go into a new version of firmware, or are the codes something that the user punches in?

Thanks...

13. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burns @ Sep 12 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]511642[/snapback]</div>
    These codes will be something the user enters into the scanguage using the X-gauge feature that is in the new firmware update. So as soon as those codes are figured out and tested they will be supplied for entry.

14. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burns @ Sep 12 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]511642[/snapback]</div>
    These codes will be something the user enters into the scanguage using the X-gauge feature that is in the new firmware update. So as soon as those codes are figured out and tested they will be supplied for entry.

15. patcoghm

patcoghm Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 13 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]494902[/snapback]</div>

Whats the latest on this upgrade. I'm on my second unit after the first lost the background lighting on the left side. This unit is working but will not return to the last screen, Gauges, after I turn the vehicle on. Sorry, Prius on.

Can anyone tell me how the 10 extra commands can be entered.

How are these extra comands entered and where are they located. I found a Xgauge.PDF on the ScanGauge site that I think is the extra codes I can Enter. I have a prius and it says State of Charge, Battery Voltage, and Battery Current are three commands I can check with the gauge. What do I enter

per page 21 and 22 of the manual. Which values do I enter, TXD, RXF, RXD, MTH, or NAM codes.Do these commands appear in the list of gauges after entered or are they keepin the command selection and viewed by entering the command number. Any help out their on this. The new commands sound worth the upgrade for us Prius owners who what to know everthing.

16. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcoghm @ Sep 16 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]513379[/snapback]</div>
    These values have not been released yet as they are still being researched. Will keep you updated.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that you'll be able to configure sets of raw
    bytes to shovel into the CANbus, and what to expect as an answer,
    bitfields to tell the SG how to interpret the data, and a label to
    display it with. Such as battery SOC, and a query/response/math
    block as a bunch of hex bytes. While this sounds cumbersome, think
    about the bigger picture: to have enough data stored in the Scangauge
    to immediately know about all these custom parameters in EVERY
    possible supported vehicle would be much more of a burden than
    simply having a generic way to set them up that no further firmware
    updates are needed to keep working, and all the interpretation data
    and setup instructions can be held EXTERNALLY, such as on LL's
    web site. And SG users can research their own byte strings and
    contribute them back to the community. That's the right way to
    do it. Otherwise, you're selling a full-blown scan tool.
    What I hope happens is that something like a forum site gets set up
    where users can support each other and contribute their parameters.
    The only remaining nit is just how said parameters will be determined,
    because most scantools don't actually tell you what they're sending.
    Very limited info is available from the car manufacturers, and the
    third-party scantool makers are always fighting an uphill battle to
    get any of it. See http://nastf.org/
    _H*

18. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah the hard part is determining the useful parameters for the Prius. I am not sure as to what software Linear Logic uses to gather the CAN data but so far it seems to be working pretty good. We are still testing/decoding the CAN data. Today I am meeting up with Ron again to continue our testing. It seems we are closing in on completing this testing.

19. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

1. Would like to see oil pressure and maybe oil temp

2. Any chance for a 2nd cable group buy for those who return units for upgrading?

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My $0.02-
    Useful (as in ability to drive the car for better FE) stuff:
    ICE RPM--to stay in the 1700-2300rpm sweet spot
    Ign %--to stay in the 14% range during highway driving (see cleanmpg.com)
    Battery SOC%-so you know where you are and can adjust pulsing/gliding appropriately.
    Amperage-so you can monitor regen charge rate as well as stealth drain to avoid kicking out of stealth on accident.
    fuel flow-helps to know if you're really in stealth or not...of course ICE rpm = zero in true stealth and is about 975 in hyperstealth, but it's helpful to keep an eye on fuel flow when in hyperstealth b/c it can be tricky to tell when the ICE spins up sometimes.

Nice to have/monitor:
    Battery Temp- (so you can know if it's getting hot or too cold..you can adjust cabin A/C to attenuate)
    ICE temp-So you can see what how well your EBH is working and to be sure you're not overheating when using grill blocking.
    Inverter1/2 and/or MG1/2 temp-similar reason as ICE temp
    MG1/2 RPM-just cool to watch, at first, to see what's happening at various times during hybrid operation. Also, you can watch MG1 rpm if you like to coast in an ICE-off Neutral state as you approach 62mpg to avoid going over 10k rpm.
    fuel tank %- for those who like to push the limit

Stuff that may be useful, but I haven't figured out yet:
    battery voltage...no idea how to make use of that info
    brake %--since the regen varies w/ battery SOC I don't think it's as helpful as amperage.