1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scangauge Install - Fine Tuning

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Mr Incredible, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Problems
    1) Tried to mount the S.G. on the steering column with sticky backed velcro but the heat kept melting the glue.
    2) Making problem 1 worse is the side mount port. It put downward pressure on the side and the melting glue wasn't working at all.
    3) I put the column all the way up and it made it difficult to see all of the S.G. I tried a spacer to raise the S.G. but problems 1 and 2 made this unworkable.

Fix Actions
    1) Modified the spacer. The spacer is wood, colored black by a sharpie. I still used velcro but I used a staple gun to staple the velcro to the spacer. The staples are hidden in the finished product. See Photo #1.
    2) The pressure from the side mount port still pulled it out of whack. While carefully inspecting the area I noticed there was plenty of room in the column-to-dash fit for the S.G. cable. The rear mount port put pressure forward and equilibrium was reached! Had it working for a couple of weeks now and it all appears to be working well. The scangauge goes up and down with the column and is always visible. I had issues seeing the gauge mounted on the dash with the column in a lower position because the steering wheel would hide it, so the column mount is just right for me. See photo #2 for the view from the command position.

FYI - The S.G. gives me the lowest mpg reading, the calculator/receipt reading is in between, and the car mpg reading is the most optimistic. For example, after a fill up the S.G. might say 49mpg, the calculator may say 50mpg and the car might be telling me 51.5 mpg. The scangauge is sometimes right with the calculator, but usually is off a little. I use the calculator method as gospel.

Hope any of this might be useful to you. Happy Motoring.

Attached Files:

kalome, F8L and ufourya like this.
  2. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ufourya and alekska like this.
  3. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the indredible camp :) and have independently arrived at the same brilliant :cool: location to mount the scangauge. I want mine to go up and down with the steering wheel. A little tape over the side mount so as not to distract the passenger any more than necessary.

Attached Files:

Mr Incredible likes this.
  4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is the first I've heard about Dual Lock. Will be checking into it soon for other projects. Thank you.l

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This looks like the same stuff that comes with the E-ZPass toll transponders used all up and down the East Coast. I've had a transponder stuck to the windshield of one of our cars using this material for about ten years and it's never let go.

If I need extra pieces I can call E-ZPass and they'll send more. I'll try it when I mount my ScanGauge, just received today.

6. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No problem! Makes regular Velcro look pretty underwhelming....

-M

7. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know for a fact that it is sold at RadioShack.

-M

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I tried the curve thing, too, on version one. Didn't bother on version 2. Great minds think alike, eh.

I'll have to take a look at that other stuff. Sounds very interesting. Thanks.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What he said. Looks just like the 3M product. The adhesive does not let go...

10. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    An important note about the 3M product. DO NOT GET THE BLACK COLOR VERSION. The WHITE version has sticking powers unlike the black. Hardware stores sell this stuff in rolls. I once purchased both a black and a white roll (about $25 each). Enough to use for a lifetime. The Black version never stands up to the test of time. White ones have never given me a problem.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good!

I put my SGII in the same location on my GenIII. It's a little flimsy at the moment because I hastily stuck it there while in the parking lot of ACE Hardware. :p I'll use the advice in this thread to secure it a little better.

12. reefglue

reefglue New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What do you monitor?

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I monitor

1. RPM
    2. iMPG
    3. Water temp or Loop (open/closed) or GPH. I mainly use water temp and Loop. Loop is helpful to tell you when fuel is being cut off like in gliding or warp stealth.
    4. SOC (state of charge)

14. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    not that im saying a SGII is bad or anything but thought people might like to check this out

15. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Justin

I just got my Scangauge II today. I set it up earlier and have 3 (iMPG, RPM, SOC) of the 4 that you listed.
    The tips on this board are helpful, thanks to all of you. I will have to redo mine so it is more secure.

I wanted to ask you to explain a little more detail what loop is and do you have to program it in Xgauge?
    Also why would you choose water temp for one of the four gauges you monitor?