1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scangauge or Torque App?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by FinsUp99, Dec 29, 2012.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I have an android tablet with Torque Pro, and I want as much info as I can get for my Gen.1. All I can see for now is the coolant temperature, engine load, & engine RPM. :(

I want to see things like battery SOC, MG1 & MG2 RPM, HP, Temp, etc.

2. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Did you happen to notice over the most recent dozen posts or so that we now seem to have a working Torque exporter for the Gen 1 vehicle database project?

What I'd suggest is that you download the exporter, make sure you have Java and Saxon downloaded (the free "available indefinitely" version is sufficient, it's a little way down the download page), and run the exporter giving the URL of the Gen 1 database. It should write you a CSV file you can load straight into Torque.

By just running the exporter again you can stay up to date with any new PIDs added to the database over time.

-Chap

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  4. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forgive me, but how does one go about this? How and where do I find the exporter?

5. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for my last post, I ended up figuring out how to get most of the PID's I wanted on my tablet, went for a drive & they all work! :) One problem though, I want to have MG1 and MG2 rpms... The provided info on this thread didn't give me the MG's rpms. :(

6. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a SG2 aka scangauge two original purchased so I could monitor coolant temps.Really curious which gauges or pid for that matter that Gen2 drivers find useful. I like the torque app but have yet to use. The SOC % useful info but aux batt voltage not that really critical .

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was wondering if a hillbilly from KY could get some help on this (these dern contraptions lol). Anyway, Jeff sent me the .csv file via email (which I received). When I open the email (Gmail), I can see the .csv file but I can't save it, can't open it, can't select it, can't do anything with it. So, I got on my laptop, forwarded the .csv file to my Yahoo email. When I open it there, I can see the attachment but it says "unsupported file format" and I can't do anything with it there either.

What am I doing wrong or, what do I need to do? I tried to download Java on my android phone but its not available on the market and attempts at java.com tell me my device is not supported.

I successfully downloaded the PID's for the Gen II and have used them w/ no problems.

I have been known to be slow but those who know me here know that I go out of my way to help others.

Can someone give me a "step by step" on what to do?

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  8. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a step-by-step. Since the forum doesn't allow me to post a csv file I have renamed NWH11.csv to NWH11.txt. I'm assuming you are viewing this from a Windows PC.

1) Save the attached file. Don't attempt to open it.

2) Rename the file to NWH11.csv - you need to see the file extension, so set Windows to show extensions - see
    How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer
    for instructions on how to do this.

3) Copy the NWH11.csv file to your Android device (.torque/extendedpids)

4) Import custom PIDs from the Torque Pro app.

This file was generated from the exporter, without any changes.

Attached Files:

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can post a 'zip' file.

Bob Wilson

ericbecky likes this.
  10. FinsUp99

FinsUp99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Wow. When I started this thread, I had no idea it would take off like it did. It moved way, way,WAY too fast for my pea brain to keep up with.

First off, I have the Torque app. Second, I have an OBDII scanner, but I'm not sure it will do the trick.
    Heres the one I bought on Amazon:
    Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner : Amazon.com : Automotive

When I plugged it into my'02 Prius, the display lit up like a slot machine. Disconnecting it returned the display to its original state. If I have the wong scanner, which one would be the correct one? I really don't want to drop the Scangauge dollars since I will have a med student entering college in the fall.

So which scanner is the best and cheapest? Will I need some kind of an adapter?

11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, the best is TIS techstream (very expensive) its what the pros use. The cheapest is probably Torque w/ a bluetooth adapter. There is also Mini VCI for Toyota (on Ebay) which claims to be as good as Techstream for $25.99??? After that its Scanguage II. Is what you show in the link just a bluetooth adapter for OBD2 or is it a diagnostic scanner or is it both? I've never seen one like that.

As far as what's the best deal, I believe its probably Mini VCI but I have no experience with it.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  12. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What display? Did you plug it in with the car running? The specs on the adaptor look ok. I saw some earlier conversations that suggested that the adaptor should be plugged in with the car off.

13. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious
    When last time vehicle moved/driven?
    Try a different vehicle to make sure OBD works?
    Sure bluetooth is working?

14. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scangauge 2 OFF when Gen2 Prius OFF. IGN power up(one button click) scangauge ON

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many modern scan tools will try to probe the CAN bus (a more modern communication link between the ECUs that Toyota had not yet adopted when the built the Gen 1 Prius). In the Gen 1, those two wires are present at the diagnostic connector but they are not used for CAN. Instead they are used for Toyota-specific special commands to the airbags, steering, brakes, etc. (Those commands are in the manual.)

Having a generic scantool blindly probing those wires for CAN devices will cause your Gen 1 Prius to display and do odd things.

For the ScanGauge II, the solution is to contact Linear Logic and ask them for the Gen 1 Prius-specific cable, which they'll send you for free. It's the same as the stock cable except for having those two wires unhooked.

For some other scantool, you might be able to get a similar cable from the manufacturer, or homebrew one as Bob Wilson has done.

-Chap

16. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we have a mix of experiences here - I've been using an adaptor that on paper looks to be similar to the one that FinsUp99 referenced, and haven't had any unusual response from the car (a 2001) since we resolved the addressing. I've left the adaptor plugged in all the time for the last month or more. The only issue I have had is that Torque freezes occasionally after a couple of hours, and I solve that by restarting the app, so it's a very minor inconvenience. I've seen complaints of this elsewhere, so it seems like it's likely an issue with the app rather than the adaptor or car.

My experience is that within a few seconds of the car being turned on the adaptor settles on the (correct) ISO9141-2 protocol. I'm not sure what form that initial handshake between the adaptor and the car takes, but in my case it seems completely innocuous.

We've had reports here from a few others who seem to be having success as well, so it's not clear where the problem lies, but it is clear that it doesn't affect everyone.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So we need some way to reconcile the available information.

The issue I described is one issue that has been well understood since mid-2010, but I can't say for sure it's the same issue that some in this thread have been experiencing. The one I described follows easily from the fact that pins 6 and 14 on a Gen 1 are not CAN pins, but rather the AB and TS signals used for diagnostic commands to the airbag ECU and several others. And if someone is running into that issue, it's easily solved by making sure the scan device can't wiggle AB and TS.

There could certainly be other communication protocol issues, and it's entirely possible that any strange symptoms being reported in this thread have some completely unrelated cause ... or a combination of causes. Symptoms of AB/TS-wiggling might be different (less severe, or more intermittent) with one scan device than another, just owing to differences in the exact wiggles that different devices might put on those lines.

If I were facing an intermittent issue as described here and I hadn't tried this already, I would still try connecting the same device through an adapter that doesn't pass AB and TS through. If the intermittent issue doesn't change, that wasn't the cause. If the issue goes away, it probably was. If the symptoms remain but changed in some way, then it was probably one of a set of contributing factors.

It won't ever hurt to make sure AB and TS are not passed through. Connecting them to some device's CAN interface is never going to make something good happen, even if with a sufficiently well-behaved device it might happen not to cause a noticeable problem.

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mini VCI is a Chinese clone of an older version of the $500 Mongoose cable that Toyota endorses. They also ship an illegal copy of Toyota's Techstream software when you buy the $30 (or so) product online. Highly illegal but the Chinese sellers don't seem to care.

Mini VCI actually does almost 100% of what the official Techstream/Mongoose will do (but somewhat slower). It has to run on an old laptop (Windows XP) or you have to setup a virtual XP machine on your newer Windows computer.

Mini VCI will do way more than Torque, (it essentially gives you the dealers scan tool) but it is more for diagnostics than monitoring day to day data as you drive around.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just ordered one and we'll see how well it works out.

Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please let us know your conclusions Bob. I've nearly pulled the trigger on this about 10X now.