1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge/Xgauge vs. Mini VCI?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Prodarwin, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've recently been reading up on how to pull codes on the Prius. Can someone give me a quick rundown on these two options?

Which is more reliable and easy to set up?

ScanGauge/Xgauge Pros:
    * Doubles as additional instrumentation on other OBD2 vehicles
    * Doesn't require a laptop
    * Doesn't require Windows XP (Who still has this, anyway?!)

VCI Pros:
    * Cheaper (~$30 vs $150)
    * Datalogging capabilities?

Since there is Xguage info, are there any smartphone/bluetooth/wifi OBD2 interfaces that support it?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The two pieces of equipment serve two different purposes although there is some overlap of functions.
    The ScanGauge is good piece of hardware for additional displays on the dashboard. It can also read some codes and clear them but not all.
    The VCI is a service tool not suitable for additional dashboard information.
    If you wish to do your own servicing apart from reading all Prius specific codes with guiding information on screen, the VCI is the tool.
    It can also do service tasks such as bleed or flush brakes, do zero point calibration on the steering, linear solenoid calibration on the brakes, add or remove key fobs, register tyre pressure monitors, adjust auto light timings, adjust AC control features, turn off seat belt and reverse beeps, among other tasks.
    It can data log, it also does not "require" Windows XP. It will run on anything from W98SE to W8.1, but admittedly is easier to set up on W98SE, XP, or Vista.
    The VCI also works on any Toyota with an OBD2 port With an adapter plug "about $5" will work on BMW and Mercedes, and will also do engine DTC's on other car makes with the 16 pin OBD2 port.
    Using an ELM327 "about $10" and an Android device you can add gauges in digital or analog form and also read and clear some codes using Torque app.
    The ELM can also be used with Priidash software free on PC. This will monitor just about every thing in one display on a laptop.

John (Britprius)

bwilson4web and usnavystgc like this.
  3. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There was a post some time back that had a link for an e-coupon for the ScanGauge. Sorry I don't have more specifics.

SCH-I605 ?

4. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi Prodarwin,

I have both. I bought SG when I was trouble-shooting my Gen1 Bty problem, Mini VCI was not available at that time. There was no Xgauge for Gen1, I had to create one. I bought the Mini VCI at a later date when it was available online.

The SG can only read 3 ECUs on the Gen1; HV ECU, Bty ECU & ECM. It can't read all other ECUs; ABS ECU, Cruise Control ECU, EMPS ECU & SRS Airbag ECU. No datalogging available, it is a standalone unit. It also can't import Xgauges, they have to be key-in manually.

The Mini VCI can also run on Vista/W7/W8 but because it's driver is 32-bit only, it need to run on 32-bit OS. There is a hack to make it run on 64-bit but I haven't tried that. Besides data-logging, it has many features like Active Test, Freeze Frame Data capture, Customize settings, etc. There are more and more features being added with newer ver. of software (Techstream).

IMHO, Mini VCI can do many more things than SG but I still use my SG daily due to it doesn't require a computer.

For bluetooth, you can search for Torque and for WiFi, there is also a thread on Engine Link in PriusChat.

Vincent

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. This part is important. But are those ECUs problematic? I imagine 99% of the reason for a VCI is to read information from the HV ECU and Battery ECU?

When you say newer versions of Techstream... is the techstream copy included with VCI a legal copy of the software? Or is it a pirated/hacked copy? Is updating this software straightforward?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On the question of the legality of the software I honestly cannot answer. The VCI with Techstream is on sale in most countries and as far as I am aware no challenge has been made against it's sale, and my version came with the Techstream logo on both the disc and the software for what that's worth.
    It can run on Windows 7/8/8.1 by two methods.
    (1) Using XP vertule machine.
    (2) By following the instructions from OP 3 prong Paul in his post here on PC to run it directly in W7/8/8.1 see link below.
    Clone Techstream on Windows 7/8 (instead of XP)
    The ECU's that the ScanGuage cannot read are not really any more problematic, but some are required for services. The ABS for brake bleeding/flushing/linear solenoid calibration, power steering ECU for zero point calibration after tracking, the security ECU for adding/removing key fobs, and TPMS ECU for registering new tyre valves or winter wheels, and tyres. The last one on it's own will more than pay the $25 price tag.

John (Britprius)