1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGaugeII work on 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by taxachusetts, Jun 29, 2009.

1. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All the lighting is controlled by the Main Body ECU ... and it is addressed using 5-byte addressing which the SGII and ELM327 does not support. So right now there is no way to set this without using a more expensive programmer. I have the commands for the auto-off, so if you have a OpenPort 2.0 or Mongoose MFC (or other pass thru device) you can send the commands.

I am not sure about the fog lights...

2. terryj

terryj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to say thanks on all your work on the 2010 Prius codes. Now if you have time and want to look for another-how about showing what stage you are in [S1 S2 S3 or S4]. Interested most if in S3 or S4 [driving in cold temps sometimes makes you wonder?

Thanks
    Terry

3. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That information isn't provided by the ECU's in the car ... there are things like Idle-Stop request, Warmup-request and a few other on-off parameters, but nothing that tells you specifically which stage you are in. All of the Xgauges so far are just showing stuff that the ECU's offer up on command.

I had a strange one yesterday on the way home from work ... the engine just didn't want to stop while moving even though I was at approaching 150F. At a red light it would turn off as soon as I hit about 1mph ... but I could let off the throttle while moving about 35mph and it would not turn off.

I can usually get it to stop on command over 130F or so. I think the stage I was in is determined by run-time since start....

4. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same thing happen to me shortly after programming in the MG1/2 RPM X-Gauges on the ScanGauge II. Temperature was above 150F with lots charge in the battery. It only happened once; I worked around it by switching from Normal to ECO mode for the rest of the trip, where the engine turned on and off as expected. I never did figure out why it had happened and so far it hasn't repeated.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This would be similar to the anomaly I reported earlier, from the morning after programming the AMPS/INJ/Reverse beeper codes. Except that my ICE didn't stop even at some stop lights, despite a temperature of 180F. But like your incidents, it never repeated.

I've been too busy/lazy to try the many other codes since, but will apply many of them soon.

6. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's coincidental ... I had my SGII out of my Prius for a few days and have seen this behavior even then, it's just harder to detect. It's quite possible the ECU wants to put the ICE through a full warm-up cycle once and a while, etc.

7. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just added a Fuel Level XGAGUE to the list. I haven't tested it, but it should work.

If anyone else has another late model Toyota car, I would be very interested to see if it works on those other cars. The XGAUGE actually pulls the information from the Combination Meter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on other cars.

I have a feeling the XGAUGES that pull from 7E0 and 7C0 are probably similar across other 2010 Toyotas. (This is a total guess.)

Next time I have a Toyota rental, I will have to check it out. :)

Edit: I just put it into my SGII and it works. I am one tick above the middle line on the fuel and it shows 6.4 gallons. I am not sure of the resolution, but I believe it's in half liter... Will find out soon.

8. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also guys, I added 4 new XGAUGES. They are all identical except for RXD. I always drive just on city streets and hence never get over 35-40mph ... so I never go into fuel cut mode. If someone wants to test this out, they can help figure out which byte shows the fuel cut. Once it's identified, I will change the gauge to show just ON-OFF. What it should indicate is when the ICE is turning but no fuel is going into it.

Here's how it works.

Program Fuel Cut Discovery 1 into your SGII. You should see "0000" on the display for that XGAUGE. The 0000 is actually two bytes from the ECU's response.

Drive over 43mph to keep the ICE on, then coast by taking your foot off the gas. There should be a change in this circumstance indicating fuel cut. If nothing changes, change the RXD to the next XGAUGE on the spreadsheet and try again. I am expecting two of the 00's in the response to change to something like 40 while in fuel cut mode. So it might show 4000 or 0040.

By going through all 4 should reveal which byte changes to indicate this condition.... Then just tell me what was displayed when you were coasting with ICE turning and which RXD you had it set to.

For those interested, this is the actual CAN frame while my car was stopped.

Engine Fuel Cut
    TX 7e2 21 32
    RX 7ea 61 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

It is quite possible that some of these values change wildly while the ICE is running .... ignore those. We are looking for one that reads 00 when the ICE is stopped/EV mode/ICE running and something other than 00 when you are coasting above 43mph with the ICE spinning.

9. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't bother with the Fuel Cut XGAUGEs. They weren't coded properly -- but even when I fixed them, I could never get anything to change..... So I removed them from the spreadsheet.

I did add 3 new passive XGAUGEs. I want you guys to try them out -- see if you can make any sense to them. I just saw that data coming from the Hybrid ECU while sniffing -- and thought it might be interesting to try to see if they were SOC or something else useful.

Oh ya, I have am working on a new XGAGUE that will show you how much friction braking is being used. (For real this time....) The other one on the sheet ("fri") just shows you how hard you are pushing on the brake pedal as measured by the regulator.

10. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Adrian, great work on the XGauges for the 2010 Prius. Any idea how many of them will work on the Gen II Prius?

11. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I doubt any will work ... it seems just about everything is different between Gen II and Gen III. You can give them a try, it won't hurt anything as they are all just "21" queries ...

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only commands I've seen that change things are 3B and A5.

The general form of messages is "aa aa bb cc dd..." where "aa aa" is the ECU address, "bb" is the command (21 is query), "cc" is the parameter id, and "dd..." is data for the command. If you query something that doesn't exist, then the ECU just doesn't reply - no harm done.

CAN replies have an address 8 higher than the request. The command value is ORed with 0x40, so a 21 query comes back as a 61 reply. A KWP (ISO14230) command address is of the form "tt ss" where "tt" is the target ECU address, and "ss" is the id of the sender (typically f0). A KWP reply address has address bytes reversed from the command. A CAN gateway address is 4 bytes (instead of 2), with the first 2 the address of the gateway, the next byte 50, and the last the single byte address of the actual ECU. Gateways seem to exist to allow CAN access to KWP devices.

13. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just tested my latest "FRI" XGAUGE which shows actual pressure at the wheel cylinders and it works great. I noticed you can actually hear the ECU applying the friction brakes, you can kind of hear a whoosh sound from under the dash when they kick in.

14. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just added Max allowed Battery Charge / Discharge to the spreadsheet. I just made them on paper using some ideas I had, so I'm not 100% sure they work yet, but I will test in the morning and I am pretty confident.

But on my way home, the battery max discharge was 24kw and max charge was -25kw. At another time 20.5kw draw and -23.5kw charge.

15. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have been monitoring this interesting discussion, but don't have the electronics background to really understand the intricacies of much of it.
    I had a G II and used a Scangauge II to simply watch a few parameters that I thought helped me understand my car and get my best mileage. Worked pretty well.
    I have a brand new G III with the gauge mounted on an 'A' pillar Proclip mount with the cable very neatly hidden. I'm very pleased with the setup, and now wanted to find out what to monitor in the G III, and how to use the numbers to get great mileage.
    I'm not getting that in this thread, and I wonder if somebody could water down the information to say "these are the best gauges to select in the G III and keep the settings here in acceleration and here for gliding to get your best MPG (or l/100k in my case)".

I'm sure I'm not the only reader interested in this information, and perhaps another thread that I'm not aware of has it already.

Currently I watch Water temp in Celsius, fuel flow in l per h, ICE rpm and IGN.

Thanks, folks.

1 person likes this.
  16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't attempt to tell anyone what is best but I can tell you what I usually monitor. TACH and FWT from the pre-programmed gauges. HV battery Amps (amp from Adrian's spread sheet) and the fourth one I sometimes have TPS, MG1 temperature, inverter coolant temperature, or whatever new one Adrian and RobH have posted.

17. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We are working on gen3 warmup stages here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-discussion/76501-gen3-warming-up-stages.html

and I recommend Hobbit's The Tao of HSI here:
    HSI

Neither will tell you which gauges to watch per se, but I think you and tumbleweed both have it about right.

18. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for the gauge help...I programmed the battery amp xgauge and it seems very helpful. I was amazed at the high charging amps, -80 to -95A when braking gently. Can the battery use all that or should I aim for longer decels?
    When sitting with the lights on and ICE off (unfortunately, Canada mandates daylight headlamps) the discharge is 2.2 Amps, and I was surprised that the fog lights add another 0.5 Amps on top of that. Already my fog lamp use will be more judicious with this information.
    I assume that for the equivalent of zero-arrow glides in this generation, battery discharge rate on the SGII equivalent to that sitting-still +2.2A would indicate the car is at that state. If so, this is a very useful indicator for controlling the right foot.

19. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I find it easier to look at the HSI and simply remove regen. But I would like to compare that to the amp xgauge value. Agree that 2.2 of draw in your case should be no arrow glide.

I think the amps displayed are going into the pack, such that your decels are fine. Less is more, of course. All regen just means you accelerated too much or chose to trade some mpg for some time.

20. tswill2

tswill2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone know the procedure to program the xguages for gen3? Or how to start figuring it out??
    tswill2