1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGaugeII work on 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by taxachusetts, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From post 118 (it will be updated since). There is also a detailed step by step if you are new to x-gauge setup, elsewhere in this thread I think.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...ZTUR1eVE&hl=en

adrianblack and others are blazing this trail for us.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Go back to post #168 of this thread. That tells you how to use an xgauge command for turning the seat belt beeper and reverse beeper on or off. The procedure for programming an xgauge you want to keep and use is the same but you don't delete the first digit of TXD when you are done. Information to enter is all in Adrian's Google spread sheet, which is also referenced in that post.

What I put in post #168 is just an abbreviated version of the instructions from the ScanGauge manual.

If you have any questions let us know, have fun. :)

3. Stroudley

Stroudley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm another person adding my thanks, and finding this all very useful. I've just tried out the battery current and it works well, and seems to tie up with the HSI. I'm staggered by the amount of info on the CAN bus, things like A/C power will be useful in the summer (even in the UK!). Come the summer I hope to get a feel for operating temperatures and MPG so I can decide whether to grille block in the winter. Also hoping to use the info to get a feel for where the random errors in the Prius and Scangauge MPG readouts come from (that's a project in itself).

4. pablovv

pablovv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone who wants to use the Fuel Level XGauge in Liters here is the MTH: 000500010000

5. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been following this thread and now i think i understand why SOC and HV current can not be displayed simultaneously.

is this a limitation of the SGII firmware or hardware? meaning, is there any chance that someday xgauges that use the same txd/rxd pair can be displayed simultaneously, or is it a lost cause?

6. pablovv

pablovv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The correct MTH for kph's xgauge is: 03E800400000 but I'm unsure of the accuracy. If I trust the acuracy of the mph's gauge then the MTH for kph should be: FFFF107E0000

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think I'd seen this discussed before, but I couldn't locate the thread with it. Is it possible to update the TPMS IDs via the ScanGuage?

The dealer wants $50 to do this, and I'd rather not shell out $100/yr for the updates - I have a separate set of wheels and tires for winter & summer. Each set has separate TPMS.

Apparently the local firestone said they could, but the light just flashed & stayed steady indicating it's not communicating with the IDs in the system. I think they didn't update them when they did my swap today.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have to have TechStream to do the programming for TPMS sensors.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are two communication buses on the OBD2 connector. The ScanGauge talks to the CAN bus, and TPMS is on the KWP bus. Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Toyota uses a 9600 baud variant of KWP, while the ScanGauge does support a 10400 baud variant. It should be possible to update the firmware in the ScanGauge to talk the Toyota protocol. There are other devices, particularly the $25 Chinese clones of the ELM 327, that should be able to talk the Toyota protocol. Another possibility is to use the Gateway ECU to operate the KWP bus via the CAN bus. All of these are just possibilities at this point.

It is necessary to set the Toyota TPMS sensor ids via a scantool plugged into the OBD2 port. If the Firestone dealer didn't plug in a device to the OBD2 port, then the TPMS ECU was not updated.

10. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Apparently Firestone neglected to tell me that they can't update the TPMS IDs on the 2010 Prius. So, now I'm stuck heading back to the dealer to take care of it. I'm not as technically advanced to fully understand the information you mention above. Are you able to PM me so that we don't hijack a thread while I try to wrap my brain around it all?

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hoping that a ScanGauge could maintain the TPMS data is a very logical expectation. The hardware is all there, but the current firmware isn't designed to support the Toyota TPMS equipment. The Prius TPMS is attached to the KWP communications bus, which the ScanGauge doesn't support (at least the Toyota version). Even if the Prius TPMS were on the CAN communications bus, the ScanGauge only supports short messages (7 bytes?) while the TPMS registration messages are longer (11 bytes).

As for Firestone, your dealer probably has a TPMS scanner that works with other brands of cars, such as GM and Ford. But following a GM/Ford procedure with TPMS just doesn't cut it on a Toyota. So if your Firestone dealer doesn't have Toyota capable TPMS registration equipment, you're going to have to find someone who does. If you go to a Toyota dealer, they are going to need the 7 digit serial numbers on the sensors in the wheels. There are two ways to get those numbers, physically read them off each sensor, and use a TPMS scanner to electronically read them. TPMS scanners are not standard issue at Toyota dealerships, so they'll have to dismount the tires to read the numbers if you don't have them written down. Maybe your Firestone dealer could at least electronically read the serial numbers for you to take to a Toyota dealer. Or maybe the Firestone dealer should spend a little more money for a TPMS scanner that works on Toyotas. Seems reasonable since they're supposed to be in the tire business...

12. Frihet

Frihet New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks to all on the backup beeper fix. I prepared a checklist and went to the car with my smart fortwo's ScanGauge II. My wife read the steps off, I punched them in, and it worked first time. No more ignorant beeps!

13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply, been side-tracked over the past couple weeks and didn't check back on this thread. I actually have the TPMS IDs, as I requested Firestone to pull the information when they mounted the new tires.

Unfortunately, the dealership wants $50 to update the IDs and that's an outrageous price to me for such a simple operation. I would be happy to pay around $20 for it, but not $50. I am debating whether I want them to update the IDs when I take the car in for the ABS update for the recall. I am more likely to keep an eye on the tires and pressure during the warm, sunny months than I am during the winter. Thus, I think having the winter tire IDs programmed in is the better route. I'd rather not buy the $500 Mongoose cable and work within TSI to update the IDs. I do plan to have the car for several years, but it would take awhile to recoup the $500.

On another note, I noticed that twice over the past couple weeks the TPMS light did not come on right as I started driving as it normally does. It came on several miles later, which seemed kind of unusual. Does it periodically reset itself? I have the tires with TPMS in my garage, but I do not park in the garage. I wouldn't expect the signal to carry 30 feet or so to where I normally park the car in the driveway. And if it did, why would the light not just go off everytime I was parked in the driveway?

14. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have noticed similar behavior from my 2010, which differs from my wife's 2008.

My car will sometimes read the TPMS in the tires that are around 40 feet away in a shed in the backyard, and the light will go off. After driving 15 minutes the light will go back on.

My wife's car takes 60 minutes before the light goes on.

I have seen a tool for around $135 that will let you switch sets of sensors, and I'm in the middle of getting new wheels for my winter tires, and I will get sensors put in them because I figure I'd rather have the warning system working all the time as long as I have the tool to change, and it doesn't cost anything aside from the tool cost (and I can use the tool on my wife's car too, doubling the savings).

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be careful that the tool supports Toyota vehicles. The only way to get new IDs into a Toyota is via the diagnostic port.

16. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would love it if there was a tool that did this for $135. I'd even pay a little more just to have the ability to update it myself. Let us know if it works!

17. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still no temp or tach guages on gen3? Still need to add a scan Guage? mabey 2011 will give us this info.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, misunderstood the question.

I don't think Toyota will ever shows these. It will confuse too many non-techies and create far too many customer support questions.

19. Tore

Tore TORE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Adrian
    I have programmed the SGII in order to display the Fuel tank level among many other parameters from your Spread sheet.However , I can only read US Gallons. Any possibility to change the MATH for LITER indication ??
    Also the Inside Room temp will only indicate F degrees whilst the Ambient temp. indicates C degrees. Any possibility to change the MATH for room temp. to indicate Celsius ?

Kind regards from Norway.:)

20. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think NickfromNY was referring to there being no standard gauge on the instrument panel for RPM or temp, like most cars have.