1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGaugeII work on 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by taxachusetts, Jun 29, 2009.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is mL, it is scaled 10X too high.

I labeled it INJ, and am seeing a range of 0.05 to 0.26 'mL'. Most of the time RPM, GPH, and INJ seem to be keeping a reasonable relationship with each other, to the coarse limits of my ability to rapidly and mentally perform the math on changing numbers.

A datapoint: ~1200 RPM and 0.25 INJ coincides with 1.00 GPH.

From this, Fuel flow = 1200 RPM * (0.25 mL/pulse) * (1L/1000mL) * (2 fuel injector pulses/revolution) * (60 min/hour) * (1 gallon / 3.78 Liter) = 9.5 gal/hour. This is roughly 10X too high, so I believe the INJ Math constant needs to be refigured.

If this code really produces *ms*, not *mL*, then my scaling argument does not apply. But if the fuel pressure is constant, ms and mL should be proportional, so one can be substituted for the other just by multiplying in a scale factor.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd also suggest that the fainter of heart not hurry to try this yet, until it is more fully vetted. I had a nerve rattling anomaly after this change.

Late during the morning commute, my FE was getting unusually low (46-43, where it was mid-50s last week), and the engine no longer performed AutoStop while sitting at traffic lights or slowly coasting. It has been doing AutoStops earlier in the ride, coolant was plenty warm (190F), the defroster that had been turned on briefly was now off. Outside temperature was slightly warmer than last week, though rain was very heavy. But I could not find any reason why the ICE was still running. After cycling power at the next stoplight, behavior returned to normal for the rest of the ride.

There was nothing abnormal about the afternoon commute, but for a while I was wondering about the wisdom of being an early guinea pig.
    =====
    Thursday update -- suspected problem has not repeated in three additional driving days.

3. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Quite possible. Perhaps we should change it to represent microliters which should be 1000x more than the correct mL.

So 0.026 mL (with a fixed SGII XGAUGE) whould just show 26. Since the SG2 only shows two decimal places, we would loose precision. I will see if I can fix the math later.

On your other comment, nothing out of the ordinary with my car. Normal operation in all ways.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Microliters sounds good. And I should dive in and see whether I'm capable of rescaling the math.

I'd like to hear from more observers to make sure my thinking is straight, and to refine the estimate.

My highest battery charging current today was 98 amps. Amps and the HSI recharging bar do not track exactly, so this opens up more things to puzzle out.

5. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didn't have time last night and I forgot my notes at home -- but changing to micro liters will require a change in both MTH and RXF. :)

6. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You mentioned a lot of conditions, but was your SOC above two bars? 2 bars of SOC or cold coolant temp with the heater running are the only two conditions I've seen that keep the ICE on while stopped.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a previous version (3.15 vice 3.17) of the ScanGaugeII and in case anyone is curious everything that's been tried here with 3.17 works the same way with the 3.15. I tested seat belt and reverse beep query, enable, and disable today no problems. I also set up the high voltage Amps and fuel injection volume gauges and they are fine also.

After a short test drive I noticed that the fuel injection volume (FIV?) and the throttle position (TPS) seem to track each other pretty closely. The scales, of course, are completely different but they seem to be giving me the same information if I ignore the units. The FIV goes from about .05 at idle to .42 full throttle while the TPS indicates 14 engine off, 15 or 16 at idle and 81 at full throttle. I guess the fact that they seem to track make sense because fuel being injected should be directly related to the throttle opening at a given altitude and temperature.

1 person likes this.
  8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You may be right I didn't know it used the throttle in that manner. I was just comparing them because I have been displaying the TPS and I wanted to know if there was a correlation between two parameters. What I saw wasn't sufficient for any kind of validation, it was just something I noticed because I happened to be observing both.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey have you all been looking into tapping into the inverter coolant temp sensor yet?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I now don't remember the actual number of bars, just seem to remember it as 'normal', which implies 5-7 bars. I haven't been seeing low SOC on that stretch (the first portion is a good downhill regen) or anywhere on my morning run. The evening stop-and-crawl does run SOC low.

But unless it repeats, I'll have to write it off as an unnoticed low SOC or other missed factor. Or maybe the defroster can continue to disable AutoStop for some minutes after it is turned off, under certain conditions.

Today's commute had no problem. Round trip was 56.0 MPG, slightly higher than the average of the past several weeks.

FWIW, the ScanGaugeII version is 3.17. I have used only the battery current, fuel injector, and single reverse beep codes, not the seatbelt codes nor returning the reverse beep to continuous.

11. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've turned off the reverse beep and I'm monitoring the battery current.
    There's nothing unusual going on with the car (other than that ridiculous backup beep is finally gone :cheer2:)!
    Also, it's really nice that I can now see what's happening with my battery. Braking regen charge current can spike up to 83 amps, and it's really hard to keep the current drain below 20 amps when travelling on battery at any speed while the gasoline engine is off.

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    RobH, adrianblack, and others here: Thanks for blazing these trails. My reverse beep is now off.

13. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to follow up on this great thread as others have done... My reverse beep is now set to once, instead of incessant, I have disabled the beeping seat belt warnings (other than at startup) and all is well. Other X-gauges have been added as has been discussed here as well. Would love someone to hunt down the headlamps off at 0 sec instead of 30 sec, but I can be patient and am not pressing. I am a content dude for the moment.

Thanks again to Adrian and RobH especially, but others taking part in this thread also deserve our appreciation.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm in complete agreement with everything you said. Now I can unhook my 12V battery without having to take it to a dealer to have the beepers turned off again. I really enjoy the high Voltage battery current Xgauge, I have always wanted a quantitative measurement of HV battery Amperage.

So far under maximum regenerative braking I have seen current to the battery in the high 80s; under maximum acceleration when the engine RPM is still low I have seen current to the motor of up to 110 Amps briefly, it drops as engine RPM increases and the engine supplies more of the power. I had a 50 MPG tank going, pretty good for winter around here, but thanks to my tests I'm now down to 44 MPG. :)

15. Tore

Tore TORE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi.
    Today, I have input the codes above with my SG II for killing the seat belt warning, and this worked GOOD !!! No more annoying sound and in addition, the sound will not come on when starting to drive...only warning lamp flashing. So, EU models have same configuration as the US models , for the ICE at least it seems..
    In addition, I have input the codes for battery charging, and this work perfectly. Minus before digits indicate charging, and + for discharging of hybrid battery.( should be opposite, but never the less...)
    When pushing the brake pedal slightly, the charging amounts to 50-80 amps !! When using the -B- position when descending a small hill, the charging indicated approx 35amps with speed about 60km/h. So, brake pedal charging is more powerful, than I thought compared to -B- position. But then, the powerful MG2 acts as generator, and this one has a big output compared to the smaller MG1 connected to the ICE. When cruising in EV mode, the SG II shows approx 30-35 A discharging in a speed of approx 40 km/h, so no wonder that the distanse in EV mode is limited.....

Tore

16. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL -- is testing these Xgauges, I sat in the car a lot and it did a lot of idling .... and my tank average is now under 40mpg!! I started at 42 .... (my commute is very short so the engine rarely even gets to 160F)

17. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We still need to fix the MTH (math) on the injection ... but the fact it's off is no big deal as the numbers are relatively arbitrary for us laymen anyway. :) But the injection volume should change with engine RPM even with TPS constant. What is difficult to see on the Prius is that change since RPM stays so flat ...

I was really hoping the gauge would zero out when in warp stealth ... has anyone seen a zero display on this xgauge yet? I never get over 35mph on the way to work -- and I haven't been driving my car over the last several days ... so I can't test warp stealth.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can minimize the high Voltage Amps in warp stealth or stealth by being very careful with the throttle, actually it still indicates an Amp or so one way or the other but it's close to zero.

I haven't been watching the injector volume to see if I could zero it out or not. But I will be going to Portland for our HSD Meetup Group tomorrow, about 400 miles round trip so I should have time to find out what it does.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true. I had to pull out the calculator to find it.
    Not me. In the day and a half before moving away from that display, the lowest I remember was 0.05.

AMPs are still up. What I really need is a second ScanGauge. :)

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally did see the injector readout at zero today -- at powerup, when it receives the first code, before the ICE spins up. Not useful.

Outside that, did see a new minimum of 0.04, during strong downhill compression braking (3600+ RPM) after the HV battery completely filled. The rest of the time, the minimum remains at 0.05.