1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

scanguage for 01 prius... thoughts

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scotman27, Dec 27, 2012.

1. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey guys.
    Im thinking on getting a scanguage 2 for my prius. First off before I do, will it work for the 01 prius? are there xguages for the 01 prius? And is there a specific scanguage for the 01 prius or do any of the scanguage2's work with the 01 prius.

I just want to make sure I get the right scanguage for my prius and that it will work.

Thank you,
    Scott

2. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have the scanguage in my 2001 Prius and I love it. Call the company and request a ISO cable for the car. They will send it free of charge. I told them I was getting false errors after installing the scangauge. They knew of the issue and said I had to use a specific cable, not the universal that comes with the scanguage. My false errors never returned.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes. You can find the definitions here (with an exporter available that will display them in ScanGauge XGAUGE format). There might be new ones in recent postings by vincent1449p that haven't gone into that database yet.

And to confirm what's already been said, as soon as you contact LinearLogic and get them to send you the cable that works in the 2001-2003 Prius at no charge, you won't have any problem.

-Chap

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am going to buy it from amazon. should I contact Linear logic the company right away or wait until I get the scanguage then contact them?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know ... I contacted them after, but before might work too.

Did you know you can buy it in the PriusChat Shop and support this forum? Hmm, I guess the price difference used to be kind of a wash, but it's bigger now. I don't know whether that means it's time to reprice it on the PriusChat Shop, or just that Amazon's getting volume pricing the Shop would never be able to match....

It would be kind of cool if the shop could arrange with LinearLogic to stock a few of the Gen 1 cables so you could order your scangauge with the right cable all in one go.

-Chap

depriusoto, scotman27 and bwilson4web like this.
  6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If that could happen i, would buy through here. Ill contact linearlogic and speak with them and go from there

7. beanmat

beanmat New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    need help buying one from PriusChat Shop ,do they include the cable ?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It comes with a cable, but the cable it comes with doesn't work right in a Gen 1. So you end up contacting LinearLogic and asking them for the cable that works in a 2001-03 Prius, and they send you that at no charge. Then you end up with a spare cable (the one that came in the box) which lets you use your ScanGauge to scan your friends' cars for codes without having to fish your own cable back out of your Prius's dash. As long as your friends aren't also driving Gen 1s.

My brainstorm a couple of posts up was that the PriusChat Shop maybe could arrange with LinearLogic to have some of the Gen 1 cables on hand, so you could just buy as a set. But unless my suggestion got acted on really fast, I don't think that's the case yet.

-Chap

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the sticky I tried to document a 'pig-tail' that can be made from off-the-shelf parts at local hardware stores.

Bob Wilson

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That reminds me, I actually have such a pigtail downstairs (the RJ45 version), having built it before I knew LinearLogic would send me a finished cable for free. (Otherwise I probably wouldn't have spent the money or time, unless I'd been in a bind where I absolutely needed to use it and couldn't wait for delivery.)

It would also be possible to get the free cable from LinearLogic and build an RJ45-to-RJ45 pigtail that can attach to it for extra functionality (allowing you to trigger the various diagnostic functions that can be triggered without an actual scanner). The idea is that the free replacement cable has an assembled OBD-II connector on the end instead of a molded one, and there are two unused wires in the cable, plus at least one that terminates on a pin the Gen 1 doesn't use. It would be a simple matter to reassign those three wires to TC, TS, and AB, which would then be available up at the RJ45 end, and one could build a simple, compact RJ45-to-RJ45 box that could snap onto that end and have switches to work the TC, TS, and AB lines. More on that idea here.

-Chap

11. beanmat

beanmat New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    t
    Thanks Chap , but l also meant how do you go about ordering one from PriusChat Shop , do they have a website ?

12. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I emailed them and they confirmed that all they need is my shipping address and they will send me a cable free of charge. very nice. I missed the amazon deal so Im going to see if I can find one on ebay. I have no problem dropping 160 on a scanguage but im still in the Christmas fund recovery if you know what I mean.

13. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just ordered a scan guage from autoenginuity,any comments or thoughts on it? I will let you know how it works out..I debated getting the scan 2 but I thought it looks like the autoenginuity will do so much more..good luck with your decision..