1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanguage vs Ultragauge

Discussion in 'Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps' started by bwilson4web, Nov 15, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Today I ran an extreme MPG test, ~11 miles @18 mpg, with my Scanguage and was disappointed compared to the 2010 MPG trip meter. I observed that Scanguage 'AVG' MPG was all over the place. Usually low but sometimes higher than the trip meter. Now I have calibrated my trip meter values against the pump and the error is less than 1% so it has my confidence. I sized my replacement tires so the rev/mile gave me accurate MPG, odometer, and trip meter miles versus GPS and mile-markers.

What bothers me is the Scangauge II returns values that wander all over the place. Over time, they being to approach BUT I don't like systems that show a lot of disagreement.

Does anyone have facts and data to compare the Ultragauge to the Scangauge?

It is $80 to find out but I thought I'd ask first.

Bob Wilson

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you might be over-analysing the situation. The ICE isn't running 100% of the time, and the load on the ICE depends on the driving conditions and the state of the traction battery, ambient temperature, if A/C is being used, if the cabin heater is being used. I keep an overall log of miles driven and amount of fuel put in the tank, and I've found it to be pretty consistent (allowing for season and driving style) over the time I've had the car (almost 2 years), and I found the same with my previous car (21 years, 292,000 miles). Sizing tyres? …sounds a bit obsessive to these ears, but whatever turns you on, I guess! BTW I seems to remember something about factoring in a speed adjustment when I read the ScanGauge destruction manual, (see set up, p.17) - perhaps that's what you referring to? I think you might need to sit back and enjoy the quiet ride! (…it still amazes me each time the ICE shuts off and my passengers look at me with worried looks at the ensuing silence, and then smile as they realise that it's supposed to do that - damned clever these Japanese!!! :))

3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not sure the ultragauge has the Prius/hybrid specific gauge capabilities (just repeating what I have read somewhere, I don't have either). It would have the mpg computer though if that's all you're after.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The ScanGauge has a number of gauges designed for use with hybrid vehicles. I did not see the same for the UltraGauge. In addition, the ScanGauge can be programmed for the hybrid turning the engine off from time to time. I use the AVG gauge and it will vary as the accumulated MPG changes due to driving conditions. I try to keep it continually increasing during the driving segment. It also lets you try out different driving styles and compare their mileages.