1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanner survey

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 21, 2010.

1. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bob,
    Looking good..

Concerning "Like the Graham miniscanner, the data capture rate is probably limited by the slow-speed OBD bus"
    Yes there always is a "bottleneck" and in this case it's the OBD interface speed.

And "But ICE rpm is reported for all controllers and this may provide the correlation function needed to make a usable BSFC chart." Yes and possibly "vehicle speed" will also serve well here.

Lastly "I don't see a way to read out the actual OBD codes and responses from the package."
    I don't have any DTC;s recorded on either car here yet, however there is a small "+" sign next to each DTC, and I believe by clicking this you can open up the detailed info on each.

All in all I would say this system is a "keeper" as far as troubleshooting problems in the prius. Almost a "must have". Keep in mind that this version is the first one to cover GEN1's and they did say to get 8.2.1 as soon as it comes out, that will have more info I'm guessing on the GEN1. But he couldn't tell me what yet.
    Great job and welcome to the AE family.
    Tom

ICE rpm is the most used correlator for data.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wasn't clear about "codes". I meant the OBD Tx and Rx frames not the DTCs.

Bob Wilson

3. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    Sorry, haven't looked at any frame data yet, only live system monitoring so far here.
    BTW
    ScanTool Version 8.2.1 is out today, I downloaded it but not installed yet.
    The only "Toyota" addition indicated seems to be the addition of
    missing TPWS support to '06 Prius
    Tom

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I think I have enough data points to support this table:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13 Column 14
    0 Scanner codes data $$ opinion
    1 Auto Enginuity Powertrain ABS Battery Hybrid ECU Airbag EMPS (power steering) no subcodes marginal $400 requires laptop poor technical support NHW11 and NHW20 ZVW30 is promised Fall 2010
    2 Graham Miniscanner Engine Battery Hybrid ECU no subcodes ~50 usable no longer for sale solid part NHW11 only
    3 generic scanners Powertrain(?) no others emissions $50-250 no Prius specific support
    4 OBD switches two-code flash no data $15-25 limited to two-code values
    Generic scanners from Sears, O'Reily, and Harbor Freight.

Auto Enginuity has the most potential since it is still in production and sales. However, they are after a mass market and apparently took the Toyota code definitions and tried to apply them to their generic code reader algorthms. Specific problems:

• Connect - "Auto detect" induces the ABS controller to report false codes. Unfortunately, the support staff insists it works and these are legitimate codes. The workaround, use "ISO-9141" and "OBD-II" compliant. Also, the documented connection order is the inverse of what works: (1) bring-up laptop with ProLine disconnected from car; (2) with car off, connect ProLine connector; (3) wait for software to ask for car to be enabled; (4) turn car to either IGN or START so ECUs will report values, and; (5) use "disconnect" and "connect" to change controller.
    • Data - the ones associated with emissions and engine operation are usable. However, other values range in quality from 'random numbers' having no useful value, generator (MG1) torque, to values whose sign flips back and forth to random "0" values and unrealistic outliers. Unlike the Graham Miniscanner, we can't choose any arbitrary combination of values like "MAF flow" with "MG1" values. Their support staff reports some 'channel' access limitation. Strong points, all traction battery modules can be surveyed. Dynamic data remains indeterminant.
    • "Display" and "Controls" - it is laptop based and that is a little difficult to integrate with safe driving. The Palm version may be more useful.
    I suspect if we can come up a layer 1/2 protocol analyzer to document the protocol failure, we may be able to break through their resistance. However, this report is based upon NHW11 data recording. We do not know if the NHW20 sufferes from the same limitations.

Graham Miniscanner remains the 'gold standard' outside of the untested Toyota Techscanner:

• Connection is always automatic - there is no option and it has yet to induce any false codes.
    • Codes - it reports the top three codes from the Engine, Hybrid vehicle, and Battery ECU. No subcodes but usually the primary codes are enough to fault-isolate a problem.
    • Data - It has +50 different data points that can be captured as up to six rotating elements. These can be recorded with an inter-value interval of ~145 msec per sample. However, MG1 rpm and torque, and MG2 rpm and torque, can be recorded in rare, single row, double data points if both rpm and torque are requested in the six values. Race conditions have to be removed during data analysis.
    • "Display" and "Controls" - up to four data values can be monitored at one time. The four buttons on top are 'modal' so it takes a while to figure out how to change the displays and values. Turning off the car saves the configuration.
    I have two Graham scanners available for rental for vehicle rebuilding and repair. They are so useful that I loan them to those with 'project' cars. I also monitor the Prius forums and when someone is selling their NHTW11, I offer to buy their Graham scanner instead of letting it possibly be lost. Sad to say, the Auto Enginuity has yet to replace the Graham Miniscanner. It augments but the poor quality of Auto Enginuity NHW11 data makes it come in second to the Graham Miniscanner.

Generic scanners, I tested three models and found none of them really useful for the NHW11:

• Connection - if they do not handle ISO-9141, don't bother.
    • Codes - As for reading the vehicle codes and those from the ECUs, I don't see them as useful. They don't even recognize the different ECUs, much less any sub-codes.
    • Data - You can get some 'freeze frame' data but they are all focused on emissions testing, not engineering analysis.
    • Display and Controls - simple enough, a couple of buttons but without engineering data, not terribly useful.
    OBD connector with two, push button switches can cause the various ECUs to flash the two-code versions on the indicator lights. The maintenance manual discusses some controllers needing a LED with current limiting resistor being used to read the flashed codes. But this is a do-it-yourself project:

• Connection - there are two pins that are tied to ground to start the flashing.
    • Codes - only the last two digits of the four digit codes are reported. You need the maintenance manual to find out which ones are reported and it does not cover all primary codes. No sub-codes.
    • Data - codes only, no engineering data.
    • Display and Controls - two push button switches, one to start the code flashing and the second to clear the codes.
    Parts cost less than $15 and can be assembled at home. However, it have limited utility except to read out the vehicle error codes. Still, the price is right if you already have the $100-300 maintenance manuals.

Bob Wilson

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Bob. Suggest that you make it clear that the findings in your post #84 are limited to NHW11 models only. I agree that the Ecrostech miniscanner produced by Graham Davies is the best bet for NHW11 owners.

1 person likes this.
  6. yamahadude9

yamahadude9 Guest

has anyone tried this scan tool, ebay item # 310230815273 its about $200 shipped

if you scroll down and read the supported systems it claims it does quite a bit. Especially on non can bus which the gen 1 prius is correct ?

WITHOUT CAN BUS SYSTEM

POWERTRAIN
    • ENGINE AND ECT
    • BATTERY
    • CCS
    • HV BATTERY
    • HV ECU
    • EV
    • STOP AND GO
    • SEQUENTIAL MT
    • LASER CRUISE
    CHASSIS

• ABS
    • AIRSUS
    • EMPS|EHPS
    • FREE-TRONIC
    • TIRE PRESSURE
    • VGRS
    • KDSS
    • T_M CONTROL
    BODY

• AIR CONDITIONER
    • SRS AIRBAG
    • BODY
    • BACK-DOOR
    • D-DOOR
    • P-DOOR
    • RR-DOOR
    • RL-DOOR
    • D-SEAT
    • P-SEAT
    • RR-SEAT
    • RL-SEAT
    • REAR SEAT SW
    • GATEWAY
    • METER
    • MIRROR
    • COMBI SW
    • ENTRY/START
    • POWER SOURCE CONTROL
    • RTRCTBL HARDTOP
    • CLEARANCE SONAR
    • SLIDE ROOF
    • STEERING PAD
    • TILT/TELESCO
    • AFS
    • MASTER SW
    • RAIN SENSOR

CAN BUS SYSTEM

POWERTRAIN

• ENGINE AND ECT
    • ECT
    • MULTI-MODE M/T
    • CRUISE CONTROL
    • HV BATTERY
    • HYBRID CONTROL
    • LASER CRUISE
    • RADAR CRUISE
    • E-ACM
    CHASSIS

• ABS
    • FOUR WHEEL DRIVE
    • EMPS
    • INTELLIGENT PARKING ASSIST
    BODY

• SRS AIRBAG
    • AIR CONDITIONER
    • PRE-CRASH
    • COMBINATION METER
    • ELECTRIC POWER CONTROL

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The T605:
    I don't remember seeing that one in my survey. The NHW11 Prius is ISO-9141, KWP2000, which is not CAN bus. The NHW11 uses both the K and L lines and asserting a signal on CAN-lo, pin 14, can induce false codes.

I'm sending a note to the seller asking what return policy if it does not work with our Prius, NHW11 and ZVW30. I'm curious and can 'eat' the shipping. But my curiosity has $$ limits.

OK: I see the 30 day return policy. I can afford to test it. Ordering one now.

LATE THOUGHT: Perhaps we can do a joint testing deal.

No need, I'll test it and then either return it or make it available at cost.

User "vicent1449p" is in Singapore and the seller is in Shanghai and he is skilled with the scangauge and NHW11 Prius. Perhaps someone might send him say $100 as deposit on a 'tested T605.' If the unit works with multiple codes from HV, engine and battery ECU, forward the balance and shipping plus 'dinner' or a nice beverage 'thank you.'

If "vicent1449p" is unwilling to test the unit, I am with the same terms. I enjoy the prospect of testing but the return policy is key to me being willing to risk $200. But my 'threshold' is $100 and if it works, I would be happy to send it on for the balance. Understand, I have an inventory of Graham scanners and Auto Enginuity so it would have to be extraordinary to join my inventory. But over $100 is a bit too much to risk on an unknown scanner.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  8. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So has anyone tried that T605 yet?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On order, hasn't arrived.

Bob Wilson

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm waiting for your results with bait ^H^H^Hted breath.:cool:

11. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that will be vady intadesting.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The T605 arrived and I'll start testing this morning. Initial impression, the manual needs some work:

• extra cable 25 pin D to 9 pin D - probably used for software updates but this may preclude being able to log data during a drive
    • 9 V battery compartment - no battery included or instructions about the battery
    • Some English improvements would help (I'll send some suggestions)
    I'll send a note and ask if I need to update the software before beginning testing. More later.

Bob Wilson

13. yamahadude9

yamahadude9 Guest

Kinda figured the manual would be a poor japanese to english translation but hopefully the unit works well. Im looking forward to your report on the functionality of the scanner, thanks

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is Chinese and unless the software upgrade does something remarkable ... no. It doesn't work with either our NHW11 nor my wife's ZVW30. I am about to return it.

I have a special OBD pig-tail that allows me to monitor the ISO-9141, K and L lines. The T605 shows ~5 V, less than half the voltage of the CEN-TECH at ~13 V, a working scanner. However, the software version is V1.0 which is another problem.

There is a new version of the control software dated July 14. But the software update cable has a 9-pin, female connector and none of my computers have a 9-pin socket. I found a USB-to-9 pin adapter but it is $37 and I would only use it for the upgrade. No, this doesn't make sense.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please understand they need a chance to improve the product but this is why I'm returning it:
    I'm waiting on instructions on how to ship it back. If someone else wants to test it, $200 and it is yours but no return.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  16. yamahadude9

yamahadude9 Guest

sorry to hear the results were not positive, I really had my hopes up for this as it would have been a great economical solution for prius owners.
    Im surprised you do not have a desktop with a serial port. Although i shouldn't be as most people have laptops and the serial ports were phased out on laptops quite some time ago. A usb to serial adapter is available for like 5 bucks on ebay and is a handy thing to have anyways. Again sorry to hear things didn't work out for ya, thanks for taking a chance for all of us. Have a great day !

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a USB-to-serial that uses a DIN connector. So yesterday I bought an 8-pin DIN connector and a 9-pin D connector. But when I took the 8-pin DIN apart to solder the wires I realized this was not a good use of my time.

Even after soldering the adapter cable I would still be faced with other layer 1 problems, the electrical signal levels. Standard RS-232 uses +/- 12 V whereas the Mac world uses lower voltages. I have had to put in pull-up resistors and suddenly I'm looking at hours of labor to resolve something that really isn't my problem.

I mentioned the OBD connector problem and this image shows what I mean:
    [​IMG]

• Auto Enginuity - has an alignment tab for the connector
    • T605 - no alignment tab so wiggly pins can prevent insertion to the 'blind' access OBD connector
    • OBD extension cable - has an alignment tab
    I wrote more details and included them with the T605. I pointed out the Prius community needs a quality scanner and offered to test an improved version. Whether or not they take up my offer is another question. We'll see.

I don't mind being their last tester but it is also unfair to have me pay $200 for that privilage. I'll do it for free, not even a fee, but I can't afford to pay for the privilage of fixing their product.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a gen 2 Prius but it looks like the experts are here in this gen 1 thread so I will post my questions here.

I have been using the ScanGauge to record daily trip info which I just posted some data here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-fun-early-problem-detection.html#post1181674
    It takes some effort to write down numbers on a piece of paper and then enter into the computer. Also the ScanGauge is limited to displaying 4 parameters, and as far as I know does not report inverter temperatures. I would really like to get the data collection more automatic and record some more parameters.

AutoEnginuity seems a nice tool but is it right that the csv file recording is limited to only parameters coming from one chosen computer("controller"?) in the Prius? Is it possible to record this particular combination in a csv file: inverter temperature(T), HV battery T, SOC, and current, 12V bus voltage, engine coolant T, engine RPM, vehicle speed, and outside air T?

Also AutoEnginuity lacks the trip and tank MPG and fuel usage functions that the ScanGauge has. Is it possible to use a split cable to run both the ScanGauge and AutoEnginuity? I remember seeing a picture of someone using a split cable to run 2 ScanGauges.

Thanks!

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well certainly w2co and vincent1449p qualify but the other expert is good Prius friend Hobbit who I think still hangs with the CleanMPG crowd. Hobbit recently posted something indicating he'd spoken with the ScanGauge development folks.

To address your questions, I have an NHW11 and ZVW30 which means I can test for these vehicles. I just don't have an NHW20 so I'm loath to offer any credible answers. But yes, the three of us are active and making progress but for our NHW11s.

Now I have opened the case:
    [​IMG]
    That four-pin connector on the right looks like a debug/programming interface. Another photo verified they are using a PIC processor but I've not take the 'big glass' to find the exact part number.

I briefly looked at PIC debugging support and soon realized THEY PROGRAM IN ASSEMBLER! Now I like assembler, IBM mainframe and VAX instruction sets, but even my MSP430 microcontroller has a "C" language development system. I'm not a language bigot but given the paranoid assertions in some of the ScanGauge reports on their upcoming USB interface, I'm loath to go near it.

If any of the data is available, I would expect it on the 4-pin connector. However, I suspect it requires some initialization setup to go into "data dump" mode. But it never hurts to ask.

I'm already working on a box for our NHW11s that use ISO-9141 and don't want to get distracted. However, it is perfectly OK to contact ScanGauge (feel free to use my photo) and ask if this interface could be used to read out the data for recording.

This will encourage them to complete the USB interface sooner rather than later. They may get all huffy and that is good to know too (Auto Enginuity suffers the same hubris!) But it also lets them know the demand is there.

If you feel uncomfortable with approaching them, let me know and I'll add that to my list of 'interesting things to do.'

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  20. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! Well this would look like a long DIY project such as discussed in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...gging-obdii-can-data-any-recommendations.html
    if I start to open up the ScanGauge to try to get data out of it. I won't mind doing that but will need a lot of education on the basics of CAN, OBD, ... etc which I know nothing about. I will contact ScanGauge to let them know the demand is there as suggested. Thanks! :)