1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scared to know what is wrong... is my baby dying at 237k? Mass air flow sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusPaddler, Aug 29, 2021.

1. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2009 Prius here.

Way back on July 20th (just over a month ago), I got the codes from the car after seeing the dreaded RED triangle. Car had produced the Red Triangle once or twice, but it went away after resting.

Code was P2103.

Eventually, I brought it to the dealer to diagnose, and they concluded the car needed a throttle body actuator? (part TO22030-21020) and mass air flow sensor (part TO22204-22010), along with a gasket. Claimed it wasn't a safety issue to drive. Estimated cost $1000-1500 to repair. I went home and asked my non-dealer mechanic if that was something they could repair cheaper. They suggested replacing the throttle body first, then seeing if sensor was bad... incremental repairs. I agreed.

Throttle body was replaced August 23rd and I was hopeful that was all it needed. Nope.

Yesterday, August 28th, after running the car about 3 hours (half while idling with a/c on), the same warning signs appeared:

red triangle,
    check engine,
    funny red car with exclamation point through it on display window,
    sometimes VCS light,
    sometimes ABS light,
    sometimes orange circle with exclamation point in it,
    sometimes traction icon

Thinking I knew what the issue was, I called the garage to tell them to order the sensor, and I kept driving.

Well - the car did not like that at all...

For 20 miles to get home, I turned on my hazards because the car would "quit" and lose power unexpectedly. The BRAKE light would come on, the car would scream a non-stop beeeeeeeeeeeeep noise and be hard to actually get the car to quit. A horrifying message came on the display about how the car couldn't recognize the PARK setting, so I should get somewhere level and use the emergency brake. I would coast to the side of the road, turn the car off, wait a bit, turn it on, and continue.

Eventually, I figured out that the car was not "dying", it was slipping into Neutral gear. I would sometimes be able to re-set it to Drive without stopping all the way. But it got worse and worse...

I would stop, set the emergency brake, turn car off, wait, turn car on, release brake, put in drive and go.

ALL THIS, so I could avoid a tow... But my hazard lights apparently wore down the 12v battery and eventually the car TOTALLY died 4 miles from home. AAA rescued me, powered the battery, drove the car onto the tow truck and it's at the garage now. I don't know why I didn't think about the hazard lights. It was HOT out and we drove with no a/c, no radio, nothing, in order to limp home. I know better than to run down the 12v, but didn't realize hazards were draining.

Something tells me this is not merely a sensor issue???

Do I even want to know what it might be??

Car has been rock solid up to 237k. I was so happy, I changed spark plugs and PCV valve earlier this summer, thinking I was good for another 100k.

P.S. Also this summer, I did have a fuse issue (solved here!) after the wires for the damaged rear view mirror touched and shorted out a fuse. I believe that issue was solved and is unrelated to this - but just in case, I'll note it here. Also replaced cabin air filter this summer with cheap Amazon filter. Found acorns in there.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although there are possibly other issues, it sounds to me like you have an issue with the 12v system, whether it's not charging, or just a bad 12v battery. There's a few things that can cause 'no charging'. What is the history on the 12v system and battery? There's just no way running hazards while the car is driving can drain the 12v system, unless the charging portion of the system isn't functioning.

And a throttle body/MAF sensor can be had for less than 50 bucks at a salvage yard or ebay. I have 2 on the shelf.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  3. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    12v battery I believe is original... for sure not replaced in over 120k miles (4 years since I bought it at about 115k). Have occasionally run it down in some fashion (2-5 times during those 4 years), but not recently. Does it have an alternator like "regular" cars? Are you saying that could be the issue of the day unrelated to MAF sensor?

4. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On 8/2 when dealer diagnosed MAF issue, they note "Test battery with medtronics battery tester and record" Ditto when they changed the fuse on 8/19 (I didn't know it was a fuse, all lights on and power steering gone - but you dxed the fuse and that was all it was). Not sure which battery they mean, but assume 12v?

EDIT: They checked some battery performance and said Factory Cold Cranking amps "345", nothing under "actual cold cranking amps" and marked it as "GOOD"

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It would be wise to get the battery tested. Any autoparts store can do it. NAPA would probably be best, because they usually stock a replacement for a Gen 2 Prius.

You do not have an alternator like a normal car. You have a separate electrical circuit in the inverter that, when the car is in READY mode, converts the hybrid battery high voltage (230vdc) into a lower voltage (about 14 vdc) to charge the battery and power the 12v system. It's like a high tech alternator with no moving parts. It is limited in how much power it can create. A big drain, like some failing 12v batteries, can cause it to overheat. It's called a DC/DC converter.

I'm not saying you don't have other problems, but a bad battery can also overload the charging system, causing it to shut itself off to protect itself.

Sry, but I have to run out for a couple hours. Be back later.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  6. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you - I should have done my own research on that alternator issue. I appreciate your time and the explanation. My mechanic shop is trustworthy, but not sure they have much modern Hybrid/EV experience. They will tell me if they are over their heads, but if I can point them in the right direction or confirm their findings I will feel better.

I'd like to get the current codes off there myself. Maybe I can swing by and get those while it sits at the shop and waits for the MAF sensor part.

7. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Does the slip into Neutral indicate transmission? Guess I'll do some research on that one too...

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    PriusPaddler and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The transmission in the Prius isn't the kind that can 'slip' into Neutral; it's a permanently meshed gearbox with electric motors under the control of a computer, and if the computer chooses to light the triangle warning and shift "out of gear", it also records diagnostic codes that explain why it chose to do that.

The first post here does mention the triangle light being on, so we know there are diagnostic codes, but the post doesn't give any information about anyone reading them, or what they are. The mystery here isn't what the transmission is doing, it's why the humans aren't looking at the codes yet.

If those codes get posted here, a lot more help becomes possible.

strawbrad and PriusPaddler like this.
  10. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Will check on transmission fluids.

Did not have the wherewithal to check my own codes while stuck in the middle of the road on saturday.

Mechanic tried to get codes off of it this morning and there were none - ZERO - which I think lends credence to it being a 12 volt battery problem, so they're picking one of those up. I think that battery tested at 7 volts this morning so I'm not sure what the heck the dealer tested last week... Grrrr.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With a little searching on PriusChat you can be up to your chin in threads where somebody says there were no - ZERO - codes, and we explain that lots of scan tools out there are incapable of retrieving the codes from several of the Prius computers. The odds are very long against you somehow having the one experience where a Prius put up warning lights and there really weren't any codes. ;)

The real solution there is to have the codes pulled by a tool that's up to the job. Many around here use Toyota Techstream (same as what dealers use) on a beater Windows laptop, but there are other options; many threads around here cover those.

Replacing the battery isn't going to hurt anything, other than wiping the memory of what the codes were, so they'll be lost in mystery unless they come back. If they don't come back for a while, enjoy the car, but don't be too shocked if they eventually do. Then just make sure you have a way to read them, or access to somebody who does.

JohnPrius3005 and PriusPaddler like this.
  12. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The only time that I had a similar set of symptoms was when a HV battery module leaked due to a cracked plastic shell. The leaked fluid was conductive and created a bunch of odd symptoms due to a short to the car body. There was no code to indicate the short.

On a totally different subject. When mine showed a code that indicated the Mass Air Flow sensor fault I found the sensor was mounted in the air cleaner so it was easy to get to. I took off the air cleaner cover and found a leaf wedged between the sensor intake and the cover gasket. I removed the leaf and the trouble went away. The leaf was apparently picked up when I had that car serviced at a local oil changer business. They had bushes with identical leaves. I suspect the cover was laid on the ground or some other surface while they checked the filter.

Additive suggestion: Beware repairs where the dealer says that the codes indicate that several things might be causing it. My dealer talked me into a $1K ECU replacement (parts and labor) due to bad behavior when parked overnight at below zero temperatures. They also replaced a $100 fuse/relay at the same time. That was also parts and labor, but the books showed the relay took only a few minutes to replace. I later looked up ALL the codes and the ECU was a low probability and the relay was most likely the problem.

I don't go back to that dealer any more.

13. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    12 volt battery was 7 years old, from 2014. Replace that, along with the air flow sensor and car is driving fine at the moment.

Thanks!

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Glad to hear you're up and running. Fingers crossed for you that the problem is resolved!!

15. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sad to say that I drove it later today, which was very hot, and eventually the warning lights came back on again. The red triangle, the yellow orange circle with. "!" In it, the VSC light and the check engine light. Also my air conditioning seemed to go out and quit cooling. Fan still worked but was not blowing cool air any longer.

I was less than 5 mi from home so I drove home and stuck in my OBD2 reader with the free version of Dr Prius app.

I was able to get one code under the "Read battery errors" button. It said "HV battery ECU error code P0A93"

The " read engine code " button yielded no errors.

Sigh. I've searched the forum for that code and understand it can be related to the inverter water pump.

I guess the question I have is whether or not it could be related to the mass air flow sensor replacement which just happened today or the 12 volt battery replacement which also happened today... They had connected a battery charger to the fuse box post during some of this work, which I understand is in the area of the wiring for the inverter pump... I suppose I should check and see if anything looks Disturbed in that area.

Or do I really have a new problem? I guess I see that I'm supposed to take something apart and see if the liquid is bubbling or boiling in there. I'm not sure if I'm up for that or not.

I'm just pretty discouraged tonight. Not sure whether to try to get my regular mechanic to look further, or cough up the bucks and head back to the dealer... Aaargh!

16. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok, I checked back with my regular shop and they did not replace the airflow sensor yesterday because the part wasn't in yet. I misunderstood.

So now I wonder if this whole issue was not the inverter water pump the whole time and maybe I don't need a mass air flow sensor! Similar lights came on to when the throttle body issue was happening, and I just assumed since the dealer had diagnosed that a while back that that was the reason for the lights. Maybe not.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, when there are easily two hundred reasons those dash lights can come on, if you assume that "similar lights came on" means the current issue necessarily has anything at all to do with a previous one, you're betting at pretty long odds.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The P0A93 is a relatively common problem for the Gen 2.

About 50% of the time, when that pump fails, it's due to the electric motor shorting internally and it opens the AM2 fuse in the underhood fuse box. This will literally immediately kill the car. Often it also causes an acrid smell from burning plastic on the bottom of the motor. The only way to get the car to work again is to unplug the pump and replace the fuse. The car can usually be driven just fine at low speeds to keep the inverter from getting hot until the pump can be replaced.

There have also been times where the pump fails, but goes un-noticed for months or more due to the owner not using the car at highway speeds, where the inverter will generate more heat. I've driven 20+ miles at 40ish mph a handful of times in cars with failed icwps. Heavy use of A/C also will cause the inverter to generate heat. One unique symptom of a failed inverter cooling water pump is if the AC (cool air) becomes intermittent. The inverter will shut off power to the AC compressor if it starts getting hot. The car will throw the red triangle if the inverter gets too warm, which usually results in the driver immediately pulling over to the side of the road. Inverter cools off and driver drives again. Repeat.

I don't know that the icwp failing will cause those other codes, unless it's creating a large electrical transient on the 12v system that's messing with the ecus.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, I skimmed right over that the first time. If you have a chance, would you be able to screenshot that or something?

It seems like Dr. Prius may be miscategorizing some things here. P0A93 isn't an HV battery ECU error code. (It comes from the HV control ECU, which is under the dash, behind the glove box.)

20. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Lesson learned!! But after zero lights for over 100k miles, I am new at having problems... I'll do better on my next Prius, lol.