1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scary Situation Brewing in the Middle East...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jan 26, 2006.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

At the very least, it's ensuring that the insurgency gains as many recruits as they lose to capture or killing...

Though don't quote me on that.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    WMD should never ever be used again period. I think that if the military would have run into the type of resistance that all the netwroks kept telling us was there, much more strategic bombing would have been used. For the most part the Iraqi army was running faster than the US military could advance and there were really only pockets of serious resistance.

I think anytime WMD's are used by anyone there is a serious chance of escalation beyond anyones control. :(

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So logically we should stop the war on terror to win it?

4. LaughingMan

You still haven't answered my question... WHY though shouldn't they be used ever again?

Closest thing you've come to an answer is "escalation beyond control"... so with conventional weapons we have "escalation within our control?"

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Extreme minority for the war?

Global stance against US involvement?

Resistance is mainly Iraqi 'freedom fighters'?

Do you really believe that? Where do you get your information?

6. LaughingMan

NO NO NO...

Geez. you really think black and white. I posted this before:

3rd OPTION... the 3rd option is the option that I believe is CORRECT, and that means staying in Iraq until it is stable... and also doing all that we can to rebuild Iraq... it ALSO involves restraint, and it ALSO involves hunting down al-qaeda and terrorists.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I think you are completely misunderstanding the issue of terrorism. To eradicate terrorism one has to resort to other means not only military. You on the other hand seem to think that if you bring Marines to Detroit their presence alone will elevate all crime.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

how many internationally recognized news agencies would I have to list?

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That reply doesn't even make any sense. Please go over it again

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And yet you wanted a Senator and a Congressman to help you get into the USAF? Ever been to the Academy at Colorado Springs? With an attitude like that, you wouldn't have lasted a week.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are obviously a spoiled upper middle class brat who was "lucky" enough to have Mommy and Daddy pay for everything. That explains your attitude problem and your deranged belief that the entire world belongs to you.

Your response above is perhaps the single best reason to return to a mandatory draft, no exclusions, especially for spoiled upper middle class brats. Eye problems my nice person, plenty of farmers boys in the Utah National Guard wore Coke Bottle glasses.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes with nuclear weapons we have the ability to destroy ourselves. I don't want civilization to destroy itself. I think the possibility to destroy civiliztion with conventional weapons is remote.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Show me.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Canada is involved in a Peace Keeping role, though many citizens are demanding this be stopped.

I think we have to put the losses incurred with the 9/11 attacks into perspective and look at *why* they occurred. Last time I checked, most of the alleged suicide pilots and accomplices were Saudi citizens. Yet the U.S. is still very much buddy-buddy with the Saudi kingdom, especially allowing the Saudi group to fly home while general aviation was still grounded.

Money talks.

Much like the current hatred for UBL, who at one time was quite the “darling†with the CIA and the Reagen Administration. We helped procure munitions and provided covert training to fight a dirty gorilla war in Afghanistan against the Soviets. We even thought it was “cute†how the Mujahideen/Taliban treated Soviet prisoners and treated their own people, especially women.

Whenever you fight dirty – and this includes what happened to the former USSR – you have to expect that to come back, in some way, to really haunt you. Whether it’s an entire group hating you to the point of actively recruiting young folks to be terrorists, or former “friends†becoming your Number One Enemy.

This also relates to the George Orwell book “1984†and I suggest you read it. The concepts of nebulous enemies, spying on your own citizens, and creating a constant state of fear to “justify†State control of your life, are being carried out in real life.

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

it's futile to explain the concept of global events to someone who lives in a bubble, whose attitude is so rotten, filled with machismo and propensity for violence. I wouldn't be surprised if Squid would resort to beat his girlfriend simply becasue he is stronger than her so she would stop cheating on him. First he would just resort to pushing and slapping and if this wouldn't stop her to cheat on him he would resort to necessary means and appropriate measures of punching her till she bleeds.
    Of course this is hypothetical but some people cannot comprehend solving issues through any other means other than BULLYING and FORCE. And Squid PERFECTLY fits that criteria.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, Canada was involved in WWII before the United States. Yes, it took some incompetence to allow the Pearl Harbor attack to drag the U.S. into the war.

And my Grandpa, who served with Honor and Valor in the Patricia Regiment, and my Great Grandpa, who served with the Marines, both told me that there was a *great* deal of debate over the Pearl Harbor attack. Mostly over how the government had - up to that point - "conveniently" ignored concentration camps and the like.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No personal attacks on individual's character Maggie...keep it civil.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Geez, give up already. You say black, he says white. You say yes, he says no. There are folks who simply *refuse* to change their beliefs, who refuse to accept they may have been wrong at some point in their lives.

A long time ago I studied Organizational Behavior, in particular the Janis-Mann Conflict Model. This is a classic example of Defensive Avoidance.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I sort of figured.

So ... school yard bully grown up? Makes sense.

20. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Obviously, you probably have never in your life read a foreign newspaper, not to mention really follow global events via foreign news agencies. I gather that from 168 countries news comes as a complete lie to you because you tend to think that world is comprised of only one country and that is the USA alone. So why one should even bother, hence everything what we are being told is ABSOLUTE truth and that fits perfectly for sheep like you in a lost herd.
    Here for starters you can try and please don’t get pissed off that some of these agencies actually might convey their news via foreign languages. I know you will be questioning how dare they use other languages than English.

NHK – Japan
    CBC – Canada (it’s wonderful)
    AFP
    Reuters
    RIA
    BELGA
    AAP – Australia (this one comes in English as a bonus to you)
    Prensa Latina
    AP
    CP
    DPA
    NEPA
    PAP
    SUOMEN
    CAN
    SDA (that’s my favorite)
    APE

You know I could find hundreds for you, but it will take you years to catch up on things you have missed in this world that were unreported by the sources that you seem to be relying on.

This might cause a major EUREKA