1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scheduling for 5000 miles maintenance

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am now reaching 5000 miles. I have purchased Prius Prime from a dealer, which is about 4 hours drive from home. What is the process to select a local dealer for maintenance. Do i need to take some paperwork to my local dealer to do the free 5000 miles maintenance.

In past few days, I have seen that when the car hits a pot hole, something show up on the dashboard for a moment and goes away, also the car skips for a moment and then everything is back to normal. Is this normal?

2. xray22

xray22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I took mine in for the 5000 mi to a different dealer. No special paperwork. Just made an appointment.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bear in mind, you are not obligated to visit the dealership, to preserve your warranty. A four hour drive, for this?

upload_2018-1-1_12-2-44.png

Really the only thing of substance in the above is the tire rotation:

Floor mat present and correct, yup.
    Inspect and adjust all fluid levels: basically that's pull the dipstick, and top up the washer fluid if needed. The brake fluid, just leave it the heck alone. Ditto for the two coolant reservoirs: they will not have budged, and likely won't for another 30K or so.
    Rotate tires, front to back, and while doing it, eyeball the brakes. There is an in-depth brake inspection, at 3 years or 30K miles (whichever comes first), but this ain't it.

Could you DIY that, or have someone more local do it?

Dudley1030 likes this.
  4. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks. Good to know that scheduling with a different toyota dealer is a transparent process to me. I will look at dealer ratings site and make the selection for maintenance.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Unfortunately, yes. The stability control probably kicked in when the tire slipped resulting in the light and the shudder.

Sid786 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for posting the 5000 miles list of maintenance. So no oil change to expect at 5000 miles. That is surprising to me and good to know beforehand.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Personally I would change the oil at 5K, but that's irrelevant. And really, any of this can be DIY'd if you're comfortable with it. Keep receipts and a log.

8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The goofy way Toyota does this is to ignore engine operation. The 10,000 mile oil drain interval might be all electric. Or all gasoline. It isn't tracked. They could have tracked engine hours, or total gasoline consumption to reach the oil change interval. Or an algorithm that factors in heat, cold, how hard the engine is run. But they didn't. So, we follow their senseless mileage routine.

I'm taking ours in for the 15k check up this week. Inspection, check the fluids, do not rotate the snow tires I just put on, check the box, come back at 20k for an oil change.

We bought this Prime in Oregon, but we live in Washington where Primes aren't distributed. The dealership that did our 5k service had only seen the rep's Prime before we brought ours in. They inspected the fluid levels and checked the warranty box just fine.

9. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Very informative. Thanks.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Going in for 15K without tire rotation, doesn't make much sense to me. I mean: that's all it is, really.

Addendum: maybe it's for that parking brake cable stretch too? Sorry.