1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scholars rate 10 worst presidential mistakes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Feb 19, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :) so your assumption is that Goebbels was perfect in his speech and the translator got it perfectly and whoever wrote it before it ended up here didn't make a mistake? Instead of Unser Land ist am Krieg he may have written 'Aus Land ist am Krieg' Maybe he was a little drunk when he said it and fumbled the first word. Perhaps ErigGo made a typo while reading it from a book. If that's the kind of thing that causes you to doubt veracity, Bush must be making you really doubtful about anything he says. :lol:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a rather cynical view.

It's a typo. I mis-typed.

Are we now going to question the veracity of everything because of poor punctuation?

I would have assumed it was a typo. Which it was. Excuse me.

3. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Scholars, please. This list was put together by a bunch of drunken illiterate rednecks. Easily half of the top ten presidential mistakes in history were made by George W. Bush.

4. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

For once the proffs got it right by not mentioning Bush. He could probably make the list of the ten most heroic presidencies. Hey you libs quit putting words in the proffs mouths!

5. dsunman

dsunman New Member

could you define heroism?

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So if they come to a conclusion that you don't agree with then they're "affected by the current thinking" ? :rolleyes:

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    you think that everyone who disagrees with you is a "lib" :lol: It's too early to be judging GW from a historical perspective. Have to wait until he leaves office.

8. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

One possible def would be "Doing what you know is the right thing to do against great opposition" You know, people like Schindler etc

9. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

I don't know what else to call people who disagree with me, and you're right too early to call. But, it is not always the outcome that matters when you perform the right action. You still must do the correct thing.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bush doesn't qualify for consideration because he is currently a sitting president. He won't qualify for consideration until after the 2008 elections when his term is over. Just wait until February, 2009!

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    if liberals are libs then that must make conservatives cons :)

12. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm surprised Kennedy's decision to go to Dallas and/or to ignore his aids and ride in an open car did not make the lists of mistakes. History might be very different today if Kennedy had not been killed. Vietnam might not have happened or would have been very different.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    NO, but a misspelling in a quote is a legitimate indicator for the need of some healthy skepticism regarding a quote's legitimacy. I would have expected you to cut-and-paste the quote – therefor I would not expect to find and obvious misspelling in a purported historical quote. ;)

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You suspected (hoped) I had just made up the lines, and you were 'on to me' because of the typo.

I suppose I could feel insulted that you would consider me capable of this, but I am afraid I have to disappoint, and admit that your silly attack does little.

But by all means, carry on trying to excuse your behavior.

15. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Stole my line, Scoundrel!

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Couldn't agree with you more, the knee jerk reaction that either party elicits from it's adherents hurts American more that any one mistake or all top ten Presidential mistakes ever will.

Wildkow

p.s. I dislike the idea of Republicans v. Democrats both parties should be abolished. Give me a liberal or a conservative willing to apply critical thinking to an issue anytime.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

After all, I am a conservative with a Prius.
    Proof of critical thinking. :D

(I wonder what liberals will counter with . . . “I'm a liberal with a Hummer�) :huh:

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You assume it was an online source capable of copy/paste. It was a print source and it has a typo because I made a typo when I typed it into my scrapbook. And no, I don't remember where I got it as it was over a year ago. I added it to my "fascist" quotes in my scrapbook and didn't proofread.

The URLs aren't for the quotes, they are the sources for the list of "danger signs of fascism"

And I apologize for not formating my post in the proper APA or MLA style with citations. I didn't know I was writing a thesis.

Oh, and "thereforE I would not expect to find AN obvious ..."

Typos happen.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't get too cocky . . .

“thereforâ€(adv.) For that, or this; for it.
    http://www.onelook.com/?other=web1913&w=Therefor

And yes, I did make an “an>and†typo. I rearranged the sentence several times . . . it became blurry in my mind . . . “therefor I would not expect to find and obvious misspelling in a purported historical quote†started out as “therefor I would not expect to find mistakes and obvious misspelling in a purported historical quote." But since I did not find other “mistakes†I tried to be accurate and took the word out . . . yep, typos happen. :)

I wasn't complaining about a simple typo. I was simply asking for a corroborative URL. Can't someone ask for a simple explanation without getting their head bit off? :huh:

But if you wish to go down that road . . . it wasn't ME quoting historical figures and then placing multiple URLs below which look like references for the quotes - due to your partitioning the quotes and the URLs together between two sets of asterisks.

Bla, bla, bla
    quotes
    URLs
    Bla, bla, bla

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Don't you hate it when that happens? :) If someone works for the republican party, that's a con job. If you WERE a republican, you'd be an excon. :lol: