1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scholars rate 10 worst presidential mistakes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Feb 19, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No :lol: you were also doubting the truthfulness of a post because of a typo in what he was quoting.

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A nice example of a common technique - cast a slur, then come over all innocent when someone dares to call you on it...

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This whole Goebbels' quote thing could have been cleared-up long ago if Godiva would have just said, “Oops, silly misspelling on my part. The quote came from a book and thereforE no URL is available."

But NO, I'm subjected to crap from various posters:
    “so your assumption is that Goebbels was perfect in his speech and the translator got it perfectly . . .â€
    “Maybe he was a little drunk when he said it and fumbled the first word.â€
    “Perhaps ErigGo made a typo while reading it from a book.â€
    “If that's the kind of thing that causes you to doubt veracity, Bush must be making you really doubtful about anything he says.â€
    “That's a rather cynical view.â€
    “Are we now going to question the veracity of everything because of poor punctuation?â€
    “You suspected (hoped) I had just made up the lines, and you were 'on to me' because of the typo.â€
    “ . . . but I am afraid I have to disappoint, and admit that your silly attack does little.â€
    “But by all means, carry on trying to excuse your behavior.â€
    “Oh, and "thereforE I would not expect to find AN obvious ..."

Did I not apologizes to EricGo and explain how I attributed the mistake to him???
    If you get into a discussion with me, expect me to challenge that which does not pass the initial smell test. I would expect the same from "you." Waffle and wave on a request for clarification . . . yes, my B.S. detector will slide into the red zone.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, Republicans keep winning the White House. ;)

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another common technique "Acting Holier than thou." :lol:

Peace

Wildkow

p.s. use both of'em all the time. ;)

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is a violation of copyright to copy/paste an entire news article.

Here are Danny's guidelines:

How to post articles on Priuschat

I wanted the URL because I wanted to post the article on another forum I frequent. They DO have guidelines about copy/paste. The same as Danny's. Small portion or summary and then post a link so people can read the entire original article. So I needed the original URL.

It is not a violation of copyright to leave an identified quotation. This is not a masters class and no rules regarding citations have been established. Providing proof that the identified author did indeed make that quote would be a matter of Danny establishing guidelines, if he wishes to do so.

Check out page 2. I said it was a typo. I said it was a print source I no longer have, so sorry, no URL. If you choose to believe I made up that quote and attributed it falsely to Joseph Goebbels, you are free to do so. Well, you already have. You have as much "proof" it's false as I have that it is true. (I'd hardly consider a typo as proof of anything. Read a voter's pamphlet lately? I stopped red penciling them a few years ago.) So you're basically calling me a liar. Fine. In that case its a waste of time for me to try to change your mind.

I find it interesting that in my entire post there were no comments made about the list of the danger signs of Fascism (for which I had URLs to the longer articles from which I took the summaries.) There was no questioning of any of the other quotes. Instead a big deal was made about a typo in this one quote? Why? Struck a nerve of some kind? Or you're just looking for a fight? Or maybe it's just some kind of misdirection of some kind.

It was a typo. You want to verify the quote? Take it to the reference desk at your largest city library and see if they can find the source. I don't have the time to look anymore.

It was a typo. Okay?

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, of course.

If someone comes to a conclusion that you don't agree with, do you think they are right, but you keep your incorrect conclusion?

Of course I think they are wrong, and I am right. Otherwise I would have said I think they are right.

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're mind seems very closed. The point is not who is right and who is wrong but to try to understand one another. Just because someone doesn't think the same way that you do doesn't make them wrong or "affected by the current thinking".

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No mention of "book" or lack of available URLs, So . . .
    Yes, I assumed it was an online source. I had no choice but to make assumptions. And yes, you did say it was a print source . . . and now you say you no longer have it. YOU COULD HAVE SAID THAT A LONG TIME AGO and saved us all this exercise in futility. But NO, you go offensive and defensive regarding spelling, rather than quickly ending it with "book" and "No URLs." :rolleyes:

10. dsunman

dsunman New Member

dude, you are loosing it, just give up.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    She's right and he's wrong, that's not being holier than thou, but he could become hollier by admitting that he is wrong. :)

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bah! Twice I went back to edit that message and missed "Holier" both times! Guess I'll keep my day job and not bother applying for that editor's job. :lol:

Actually I had a bit of a problem with that quote attibuted to Goebbles also and its not due to the typo. Why is he making a reference to "Due Process" and when was that ever a concern to the Nazi's. Oh well even if he didn't say it I'm sure he would agree with it.

You just never can tell what someone might say check these two out . . .

"If the German people lay down their weapons, the Soviets, according to the agreement between Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin, would occupy all of East and Southeast Europe along with the greater part of the Reich. An iron curtain would fall over this enormous territory controlled by the Soviet Union, behind which nations would be slaughtered.†Goebbles

No government ought to be without censors & where the press is free, no one ever will.
    Thomas Jefferson

Insightful especially from a Whack job like Goebbles and a tad cynical from one of our Founding Fathers.

Wildkow

13. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With (for the most part) a Democrat or two in between to straighten things out!