1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scientific American "Firing on Half-Cylinders" art

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by markl_me, Nov 16, 2004.

1. markl_me

markl_me New Member

In December 2004 SciAm, there's an interesting article on turning V-8s into V-4s. To quote from the article:

'...Despite its current connection with big gas hogs, "cylinder deactivation really gives you the best fuel-savings bang for the buck," claims Alan Falkowski, Chrysler's development team leader. That is, of course, short of building smaller, lightweight vehicles that many American motorists disdain. Almost all other fuel-conserving technologies - advanced variable valve-timing systems, diesels, direct-injection gasoline engines and the current customer favorites, electric hybrids - bring with them greater mechanical complexity or higher costs, or both.

Notably, the number of engines incorporating the new cylinder-shutdown technology will top that of hybrid electric vehicles (such as the Toyota Prius) within a year or two. And by sheer numbers alone, the total gallons of gasoline conserved by the new power plants will soon thereafter overtake the amount ever saved by hybrids alone....'

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Scientific American "Firing on Half-Cylinders"

Notice how the very careful wording of his claim, "greater mechanical complexity or higher costs. It is intentionally vague. And when you dig for details, you'll find that it is rather misleading. Only certain types of driving will actually benefit from the increased MPG. And there is no SMOG releated emission benefit from that technology whatsoever.

This quote from Car & Driver help points out the reality of the situation too... "Accord-Hybrid has 'active' engine mounts that are electrically powered to counteract the vibrations of three-cylinder operation, a system of clutching the torque converter in harmony with the power pulses, and an anti-noise system plays through the radio speakers to counter the booming interior sounds.

Don't expect this type of market deception to end anytime soon. Certain automakers are really in a bad spot now, having completely missed the shift in consumer wants. They have no clue how to compete being quite a few years behind in development already. So now they are scrambling to come up with a solution. It that will deliver less, but you'll believe it is making a greater contribution to the cause without requiring you to give up anything.

The "half cyclinder" solution is "half baked". Like I keep repeating, use a smaller gas engine that reduces RPM and shuts off entirely along with a large electric motor. That "full hybrid" solution fulfills the "full" range of requirements drivers actually have... reduced MPG in all types of driving conditions, along with a significant reduction in SMOG related emissions.

3. markl_me

markl_me New Member

Re: Scientific American "Firing on Half-Cylinders"

Well John, I agree in part. In a perfect world, we'd all be driving hybrids (or maybe just riding public transportation!) and thus reducing our (US) CO2 emissions by 10%. But we're not living in a perfect world (as witnessed by the Hummer across the street from me). I think the article was saying that unless and until US drivers get [green] religion, half-cylinder techniques might be the easiest [stealth?] way of making US cars more fuel efficient. As fuel efficient as they could be? No way, but better.

As for US manufacturers being behind the 8-ball technology-wise, I agree 110%. I'm old enough to remember the gas lines of the 1970s when OPEC turned off the spigot. You couldn't give away the big American gas guzzlers; everyone wanted small, fuel efficient cars. And who had 'em? Our Asian friends on the island nation. Do you remember US car manufacturers' response to the crisis? Seeing their market share go down the toilet, instead of responding quickly and building competitive cars, they pressured Congress into imposing import quotas on the Japanese cars everyone wanted! We are in EXACTLY the same situation today. All it would take is an interruption in oil supply...

Shhhh - do I hear someone mumbling something like "Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it"?