1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Scientific) study on the calculated vs computer fuel economy discrepancy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SCote, Oct 1, 2011.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cody, don't sweat the time of day temperature differences. As long as the station's tanks are underground the fuel temperature doesn't vary enough to matter during 24 hours.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    28000 miles on 2010 since 12/18/09.
    Average mpg error of 65 tanks is 5.0%.
    Most often filled to first click, but have shifted to second click.
    Lifetime mpg (calculated) is 50.1 mpg.
    Temperature range is -18F to 111F, with no perceived difference in mid error as a function of temperature, though I have not tested that. I color code the tanks by season, and it just looks about the same all the way through.

3. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very interesting read, thank you for sharing.

So I did see a few formulas but is there an average estimate we can all agree on... aka will the mpg reader on the Prius be off by 6% most of the time? Or do temperatures play to much of an impact to give an average?

1 person likes this.
  4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    bobwilson4web gets 6%, and his would be far more accurate for vehicle(s?) tested than my 5%, but it is right in that 5-6% range. Exception: The first 2010 deliveries seemed to show a 10% error.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    These are my averages from 86 tank fillups over 2 years and 34k miles.

Gallons = 8.5
    MPG Calc = 47.7
    MPG Disp = 50.7
    Error = 3.0
    Error % = 6.3
    MPH = 37
    Temp = 63

The temps vary from high teens to 100+F. I did not see a noticeable correlation between temps and % error. It seemed to have more to do with different pump cutoffs, rounding off dollar costs, driving patterns between fillups, etc.

Over the 86 fillups all of the variations would appear to have been averaged out.

6. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting, but I think (sorry conspiracy theory in me) a lot of the discrepencies are the inaccuracy of the gas pumps. I got "ripped" at a station back 7 years ago when I drove 80 plus miles round tip to work each day. I had a taurus and got some funky fuel. filled up my 17 gallon tank and when it hit 18 i stopped and went in to complain. guy wouldn't do anything so I called weights and measures and they tested it and said It was off and the station refunded my entire purchase... and very apologetic. Odd thing was I got the best gas mileage from that fill up I ever got on that car. Car seemed to run fine ...

After that experience, I used to take a small 1 gallon gas can and fill it up to make sure it was in the ball park before filling up my tank (I know .. Weird). I would not do this with stations that I regularly filled up at (though I tried to use same pumps as much as possible...)

I know... I'm strange...

Nice thing is with the prius, not having that problem with no 17 gallon tanks... (-:

7. SCote

SCote Fuel economy scientist :-)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Codyroo, as xs650 said, there is no need to look at the time during the day when you did the fillup. The tank is probably underground, so its temperature does not vary much. What is important is the ambient temperature during the period when you used the fuel. Calculate an approximation of the daily average temperature over periods between fillups. That will be fine.

That is fine, as long as you always do the same thing.

I think it will be fine, you can use the data you already have.

That is something I dont know. Perhaps each sensor is calibrated different, there is no way to tell unless we do the experiment on many vehicles. As far as temperature is concerned, I guess it depends on the area. I live in Canada, temperature differences are high. In oceanic climates (e.g. california), the differences are not so great, so such an average would make more sense to calculate.

8. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This same thing happened to me a few years back. I put 13 gallons into a 12 gallon tank. I never went back to that station again....

9. srevelation

srevelation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got an 2011 Prius II and I've kept the numbers (except for temp) on my other cars, so I'll just start keeping that info and pass it along when there enough data points.

10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Extremely interesting read.

I will go through it one more time and apply a similar analysis on my data (I have recorded each single fuel up since I bought the car more than 2 years ago). I have 63 fuel ups spanning 3 different countries, on very different weathers, up to the first click, or up to the brink and fuelled in very different gas stations (no brand - independent, or seven sisters brands).

My current average error is 6,36%.
    FYI: my brother's Yaris is around 4%....
    I will provide you the data as well, in TXT format as you requested, if you wish, so that you can run your analysis on my data as well as see if you reach the same conclusions.
    The temperature for me is the average over the month of the average temperature. Since I fuelled a few times while on the alps in summer, I might have an average temperature of 25C but I fuelled up at 10C...

11. SCote

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking forward to it!

If you can get temperature data as well, it would improve the accuracy of the analysis. Look at the weather historical data if you can. An average over the period / region when/where you used the fuel is probably going to be sufficient to give us some idea about temperature effect.

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have tried to plot my data in the same way as you, but I am getting weird results - I think this has to do with the fact that I applied as "temperature" values, the overall value of where I live and not where I fuelled up. And when I drive from Germany to Italy, e.g., there can be substantial temperature differences if I fuel up in Italy, Austria or Germany. And most often I would fuel up in Austria on the way back (colder) and use the rest of the fuel in Germany (warmer).
    I think this falsifies the data, with respect to your analysis.
    I will see if I can associate more accurate values to my tanks, but I cannot yet find a weather website that provides historical daily data for a specific region/city. I can only have an average monthly value...
    I will send you in any case the raw data in TXT format to see if maybe I am making some mistake of sorts.

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground : Weather Underground and go to "trip planner" .

You can enter the city, country of interest and a date span and it will give you historical averages for the time period you selected.

It's one of my favorite trip planning tools.

1 person likes this.
  14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I should have thought of that one. It's actually better for what you want to do since it gives history for specific dates of a given year while my method give average history for a range of days as far back as their records go.

16. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've PMd my first two years of data to you in english and metric. Used your method for the average temp. Boston NWS data is pretty close to what we get here.

1 person likes this.
  17. SCote

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks to Buzzhead for providing me with the data. Sorry all to be so slow in responding - my job is keeping me very busy.

I have updated my blog page - see La Prius à Côté
    As you can see in the update section, Buzzhead's data produces a k value of 6.1 - which is pretty much aligned with my own measurements.

I am desperately fighting to find time to write and publish my other study - which is much more interesting and complete.

18. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You show great diligence in collecting and presenting data and it hopefully will encourage others to keep records in a similar manner.

As far as the "vehicle fuel volume sensor" is concerned, I would assume that fuel injector delivery is what is monitored since this measure is essentially instantaneous, and I would assume that the measure is volumetric, i.e., proportional to injector open interval. So, if the fuel is colder, then for a given volume, a slightly greater mass is injected. If the filling station meters were exactly volumetric also, then all would cancel out. But all the filling station pumps that I see in use today are digital and perhaps they are required to do some temperature compensation in their readings so that you get what amounts to a litre at some STP. This would account for the slightly larger "winter" discrepancy.

There are other possible factors here. If the tank is plastic, then its dimensions (and volume) will change with temperature, and being plastic it may actually deform to a slightly greater volume when its full.

19. Ffejrobins30

Ffejrobins30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I always wondered why they just don't figure out your FE using the ECM data. They know the mileage that the vehicle travels, they know the flow rate of the injectors, and they use a CAN databus system that is capable of sharing information between modules easily. By knowing the flow rate, injector pulsewidth, and mileage, they can very accurately give you fuel usage. Even if they didn't want to use actual injector pulsewidth, they can use the MAF signal and calculate fuel usage from the MAF reading, also very accurately.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This *is* how it is done. They do calculate from the injector data and miles driven.

Tom