1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion iQ EV To Launch In 2012, Only 50 Mile Range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a_gray_prius, Jul 3, 2011.

1. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is - it is a niche segment - and it is getting crowded.
    - Mitsubishi i
    - Think City (assuming it comes out of bankruptcy, again)
    - Fiat 500 EV and now
    - Scion iQ

The volume is going to be in compact/mid-size cars and CUVs.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot argue that although people like alternatives so who knows.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only issue is that you need a parking space where you can charge your crowded city EV (without a significant risk that your charging cord will be stolen). So right now it's a suburban car, but I would expect that over time apartment building garages will start being more EV friendly.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget to count the Leaf and the Focus EV. The Leaf is not much larger than the iQ, and if the iQ is not (quite a bit) cheaper than the Leaf, there would be no compelling reason to purchase an iQ.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The iQ is a microcompact. I presume you meant that the LEAF is much larger.

With the smaller car and a 16kWh battery there will be a big difference in price.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

What is a CUV? I'm going to assume City Utility Vehicle?

Actually was thinking a small low range EV would be perfect for families with teenagers. Enough range to get to school or sports activities but not enough range to go cruzing. Would also teach them to plan ahead, "if you don't plug it in in the evening, you will walk to school tomorrow".

1 person likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's what many folks likely said about the model T ... and the first telephones ... and probably the wheel, too.

;)

1 person likes this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if skoorbmax was posting his personal opinion, or what he thinks most/many/all people will say. I imagine large people used to wide open roads and cheap fuel would not pick this cars in droves, but nothing is permanent.

Americans keep getting fatter :p

10. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Giant brick cell phones too.

Computers.

Etc...

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To those saying a 50 mile range isn't acceptable or simply won't work? Well maybe you are right...if you are thinking about how most Americans approach automobile ownership right now....

But what if we simply adjust our thinking or approach? I think a lot of Americans approach automobile ownership as a single tool for multiple jobs proposition. But what if the future is simply much, much more specialized. What if what vehicle we jump into, is determined highly by what we plan to do with it?

I would say the Scion IQev is Unacceptable...only if you think of it as the majority of peoples...primary vehicle...

If you look at it as a specialized tool, for specific applications? It becomes much much more acceptable...

12. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I agree that we Americans are well trained in the art of maximum performance buying regardless of our true usage.
    Why is Toyota in a race to the bottom of the barrel? The prototype EV Mini Cooper has a range of 100 miles or less. How did those mad Germans get so much range out of such a small car, in a prototype to boot? Now here comes Toyota with the EV IQ that gets 50 miles per charge. Why would you handicap a new car for high battery pack cost now, that will surely come down quickly through mass production? EVs are specialized vehicles and I see no need to make such a big deal out of an even more specialized vehicle.

13. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You gotta remember that they have been very much over delivering or meeting their specs while everyone else is very over rating theirs.

They say the Plug in prius is good for 13 and people have reported 15 or 16 miles.

If this thing gets 50 miles per charge period, end of story then it will be a good range.

If it gets 40 or so and then 25 in the winter its a pile of poop.

14. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Leaf set the bar with a real world range around 80 miles. Why ask people to buy a car that can only go 50 miles? This is not a plan for success. This is not a mainstream car.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

for some reason a lot of people are thinking more is better here...

but why? why the heck would you need more than 50 miles of EV battery for city car? i mean YOU are paying for the battery, not Toyota.

iQ is not the car you take on long road trips... it is purely city car with good suspension and huge interior for what it is.

Toyota could have had 100 miles range with this.... and? what would be the point? you pay for extra range but car is too small for large trips.

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because you can get more for your money from other EVs. Again, this thing better be cheap.

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree completely. Also, the poster feels that the Nissan Leaf with 80 miles covers everybody and is real world range, but 50 miles, not so much.

50% of American drivers has a daily commute of less than 30 miles, 80% drives less than 40 miles, basis for the Volt 40 mile EV battery, and I read somewhere: in the UK, 40% of daily errands are under 2 miles. Most people do no know how much they drive daily.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What other EVs, the Prius plug-in is not an EV just as much as the Volt is not an EV. They are plug-in hybrids. EVs like the Nissan Leaf don't have ICE, muffler and gas tank.

Also, think about it! A very large battery, like the Volt's 16 kwh, in a used vehicle maybe a problem down the road due to the fact if replacement were to be needed out of warranty, the battery may cost more than the book value of the used vehicle. I think a small battery with a very good hybrid system is the way to go until pure electric with better range, lower cost and quick recharge stations.

19. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because the Mini EV is a prototype. That means the manufacturer is testing the technology and doesn't have to provide a warranty.

Also the Mini is a 4 seat car but the Mini EV is only a 2 seater with masses of batteries in the back. The Mini is a 'small' car in America but it isn't very space efficient. The IQ is probably about half the size of the Mini and is probably best described as a 2+2 seater (the IQ is not even 10 foot long, the Mini 12 foot)

It is questionable whether the existing petrol powered IQ will sell in the US as it's entire reason to be is for ultra congested cities in Japan and Europe. However it has been a surprise hit in these markets which is probably why Toyota are taking a punt at selling it in the US.

The EV model is being designed for the existing markets and presumably with no emission legislation to worry about, it won't be hard to sell it in the US too. Whether people will buy a car 2 foot shorter than a Mini remains to be seen.

20. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You sound like a Prius detractor.