1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion iQ EV To Launch In 2012, Only 50 Mile Range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a_gray_prius, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    fyp. ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

how does she like it?

i love the iQ... it is priced very high but in reality it is like small lexus, with not so lexus interior.... i think it rides much better than much bigger Yaris. I pretty much loved it.

it also gets audio controls on the wheels, color keyed everything, worlds first rear hatch airbag, esp, all base... i would get iQ3 diesel if it was up to me, but way too much money (into the Avensis territory).

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Loves it - seriously.

Parking is at a premium here as you can see by the photo - the car is squeezed half onto the small sidewalk (if you can call it that) and the IQ can be parked pretty much anywhere, fitting into those spaces impossible with even cars like the Yaris.

I wouldn't say it was Lexus quality and certainly isn't luxury. The ride is OK for a small car of its size but that doesn't mean smooth like a Prius. The turning circle is ridiculously small - really tight, in fact unbelieveably tight! You've got to see it to believe it.

I think they do a diesel IQ in some parts of Europe but petrol is cheaper here in the UK so they don't sell the diesel IQ. I think it would probably upset the handling too with a big heavy smoker up front.

4. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Equipment wise you get into Lexus territory. My iQ is marginally better equipped than my Prius level IV. Both cars are about equal in interior quality. I just tried a CT200h, which has a really nice interior, but far less gadgets than my iQ (Level 2 CT).

The ride in the iQ is sublime compared to similar sized competitors. Prius rides nicer, but you have less feeling of what the front wheels are up to.

As for the diesel iQ, one would think those additional 200kg on the front axle would mess it up, but it actually works!

(iQ3 diesel owner speaking)

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wars don't make sense either ... but saying "they don't make sense" simply over states the obvious. 2 eco transportations for single persons is a mighty small pigion hole. Hopefully work on the big issues will preceed work on the miniscule matters. This "2 eco car" scenerio is really a lesser of 2 evils: a hybrid and an EV ... versus an '89 crown vic and a 2009 suv.
    baby steps. Many in middle America can afford multiple junker cars ... & so they do. A hand full of people can afford multiple eco goodies, & so thery do. Where is it written that all our buying decisions will pass muster with every one else? I'm just saying there are bigger, better, & more important targets than multiple eco toy owners.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Scion iQ has been priced at 16k in the USA.
    2012 Scion iQ priced at $15,995 - AutoWeek

I wonder if it sells much considering how americans cant really wrap their head around "smaller but more expensive".

Maybe Aygo would have been better fit and sell it for $9995

7. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    After digging around a bit, I think this price is for the gasoline version of the iQ, not the iQ EV.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yes of course... thats why i said iQ and not iQ EV :).

so how much will 11kwh of batteries and rest of the system add to that? 10k? 15k?

9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Apples and oranges. You've got to swap the ICE out for electric motor; batteries for fuel tank; add converter/inverter, etc.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

do understand than iMev is based on vehicle that would be priced at $10k in the USA.

so iQ EV is opposite of choices Toyota made with Prius. I wonder if this will fly at all in USA.

You gotta understand that iQ EV is going to be "premium" small/city EV. Not iMev competitor, just like Corolla and 3 series BMW are not competitors.

11. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as they can get away with. With hardly any economies of scale, evrything will cost more for iQ EV.

Afterall Volt added $25K to a Cruze for 16 kwh of battery ;-)

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting article about EV's in practice. Note that only 2% of drivers used more than 50% of the battery capacity and most drivers plugged the vehicle in with 80% of capacity remaining.

Obviously these are based on UK cities and usage and probably using the vehicle as a 2nd car.

The Charging Point » UK

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Feature to feature, it was about $15k.

While 50 mile range may meet most people needs, I don't think the price for the EV will be low enough with the gasser starting at $16k. Many shoppers will reach the same conclusion as with the Insight 2 and Prius. For a little more money, you get more car. Even if they are $10k more, the Leaf and Focus have double the range, double the passenger volume, and more cargo space. Then the iQ has a direct competitor with Smart.

14. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Um ... a vehicle's size is determined by the "Interior volume index" (in cubic feet). A compact car has between 100 and 109.9 cubic feet, and a mid-size car has between 110 and 119.9 cubic feet.

Focus interior volume is 91 square feet .
    Leaf interior volume is 110 square feet .

I'll leave it up to the Einsteins to make their own determinations from here.
    :rolleyes:

Apart from the size/classification mistake though - yes - the focus does also fit into the compact EV niche market.

Have you ever sat in a Mini EV? The answer is simple. It has NO back seat. They tore it out to make room for a more batteries, and they used a different (A123, I believe) manufacturer's battery technology ... nothing that Mercedes came up with. So it's no surprise. It would be like putting the Leaf traction system into the aluminum body, 2 seater / gen One Insight ... that kind of setup might yield a 200 mile range.

16. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    This is an excellent point. Toyota could easily have based the EV on the Aygo, Daihatsu or any Japanese K-Car, but instead decided on the expensive iQ which has specially developed differential, AC and other parts to minimize length.

Shame that it is lease only.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Except none of those other cars are coming to NA as a gasser.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

that doesnt matter... problem is that this is tiny car that already costs 16k base as a Scion... so it would likely cost as much as leaf in the end (well maybe a bit less), and at this point in time, EV users care only about EV battery size and not about cars themselves so it would really be pointless to offer it in the usa, considering nobody really has huge need for premium city car that seats 3+1 in 3m lenght.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It matters to logistics and costs. Another car model means another pay out for safety certifications, dealer and technician training, and marketing. Then there's delivery and stocking network for cars and parts. Unless Toyota had already had one of those models available as an EV, it's cheaper for them to convert the already slated for introduction iQ.