1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

scissor-jack points for prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Ernesto Coatimundi, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Ernesto Coatimundi

Ernesto Coatimundi New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I have procured a scissor-jack and right size spare which I have packed behind the drivers seat (Absurd that we have to do that? yes) I'd like to know where are safe points to apply the lift for the four tires.
    I have a model 2017 premium type.

Thanks in advance

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Look for the crimp points behind the front tires and in front of the rear tires. The scissor-jack should've been under the rear seat access door. Open the rear drivers side door and look for the cutout below the rear seat cushion. You can shove some supplementary tire change equipment there too. Gloves, trash bags, wheel chuck, highway flares and plugs.

Hope this helps...

sylvaing likes this.
  3. Ernesto Coatimundi

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks Bio. I apologize if I misunderstood you, but, it occurs to me that MAYBE you don't know my model (2017) does NOT come with a spare tire nor a jack. Am I correct?

Anyway it is a HUUUUGE deficiency. The one time there was a flat I was completely stuck and couldn't go home late at night.
    I changed to "run-flat" tires and that was a disaster too. They are exensive and good for one puncture. Worst of all, they destroyed the energy efficacy by over 20%: my usual 60mpg went to low 40's at 7-mph.

so I carry around a spare from a Mazda car I have and its jack in the back seat.

I looked and there is a very tiny triangular notch on the outer edge of bottom. I've attached pictures. I might guess that the jack could be applied to the vertical edge a few inches deeper in. Any suggestions as to the exact spot?

Rear, notch
    IMG_1503.jpg

Front. I think there is a notch there too (on the left edge)
    IMG_1502.jpg

Rear. The notch is a little to the left of the dark patch. cutoff here. IMG_1501.jpg

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You have an early model Gen 4 Prius Prime with a TNGA chassis.

Early TNGA cars were provided with a flat top jack that is different than later models. It has a smooth top like the one in the photo posted by Priuschat member Hammersmith in this thread.

244136_20231009_164845.jpg

5. Ernesto Coatimundi

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Thank you very much.
    That's good information.
    Assuming I can find one of these to buy,
    WHERE should this jack be applied?

6. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Re: that first picture - I'd move to the right more - towards the center of the car and jack at the sheet metal pinch point. Just like the rear. There's too much plastic in the area you've marked. The sheet metal pinch point is unmistakable and a solid area to jack. IMHO

8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What is the width of this rail marked in red? 249219_IMG_1502 (2).jpg

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check under the rear seat storage compartment? All 2017-2022 Prius Prime came with standard OEM scissor-jack stored under the rear seat with a bag of tools.

10. Ernesto Coatimundi

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Sal-King I'm much obliged for your kindness to take the time to write. I was not aware of that spot. In fact the bulk of my questions were rooted in the fact that Toyota does not want anyone to lift this car the traditional way when they provided the dumb glue and tiny air pump hopgin the punctures are small enough to make this do far away from home in the middle of the night, instead of a cheap replacement tire.

Now you did mention a bag of tools (tire iron), I looked and looked and reached in with my hand twice but did not see any. The compartment had never been opened, so if it is missing it never came with the car. Do you have any hints where and how it is attached?

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you buy the car used? If it was purchased new, then OEM tools and jack are standard in all models of PP (2017-2022) AFAIK. Here is the diagram from the 21 PP manual, I think it is identical to the 2017 PP. I owned 2017, 2020, and 2021 PPs. I also copied the "jack point" diagram from the same manual. I never used the OEM scissor jack, but I used my own floor jack to lift the car from the side many times to change to winter wheels/tires.

upload_2024-4-9_16-34-58.png

upload_2024-4-9_16-36-23.png

BiomedO1 likes this.
  12. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's where I found mine...... Check under your charging cable or the pockets opposite the tire pump and slime canister.
    I relocated those tools, stuffed them next to the jack. Wrapped them in a kitchen towel, so they wouldn't rattle down the road. Makes for a good cleaning towel to tidy up afterwards.

Notice the pictures shows jacking at the sheet metal pinch points.

#12 BiomedO1, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  13. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't need to stuff them next to the jack in that small opening. The rear seats are just clipped in place at the front. Just pull up the front of the seats and they'll come off. You have more room there than on the jack opening :)

BiomedO1 likes this.
  14. Ernesto Coatimundi

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks everyone for all your helpful hints. I did find the tire iron. I was looking for it where the jack was, but it's in the back as SalKing showed the manual page (TYVM!). Putting them together would be a good idea and a pair of gardening gloves. Now I can return the hardware I swiped from my other car.

I lifted the rear passenger side with the jack (I didn't know I had) and let it stand for 10 minutes on the metal pinch edge in line with the triangular notch marked on the plastic edge I showed in my first picture posted above. It seemed to do well. I ordered a pair of small fold-up chocks ($8) from Amazon to complete the kit (click on thumbnail to enlarge (sku B002E1AYW2).
    upload_2024-4-10_10-8-8.png
    Now, can anyone point me to a reasonably priced spare "donut" so I can return that to my other car as well? is a tire store or car part store better/easier than mail-order? I don't know why I've had trouble finding one for sale. For one, Costco tire people said they couldn't get one. I'm not even sure what size is needed, and if there are options, the smallest will be preferable as it is taking quite a bit of space in the back seat.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can read this thread to get the information you need: Operation Spare Tire | PriusChat
    If you want a compact donut tire, then eBay would be the best place to find a used compact spare for Gen3 Prius (not Prius C or Prius V) or a very rare Gen4 Prius compact spare. Some say Corolla spare also works, but Corolla has several trims and different tire sizes, so you may find it incompatible. You can order a new compact spare wheel and tire from a dealer, but the cost would be quite high.

As I commented on that thread I linked, I used a full-size 15" generic steel wheel with a regular full-size 195-65r-15 tire as a spare. You will have to store the spare on the deck or behind the front seat anyway. There is no room to store under the deck for that is where the battery resides. A full-size spare on a 15" wheel will be heavier and thicker, but it will fit better in the footwell in front of the rear seat, and you are not restricted to the 50mph max speed or 50miles distance limit. Almost any 15" steel wheel with 5x100 bolt pattern would work for this purpose.
    And it maybe cheaper than buying a compact spare.

Here is an example with 40mm offset: Vision Wheel SW60 16x6.5 5x100 40mm Black | SW60-6644B40
    Similar one (maybe the same?) at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vision-Black-Snow-Wheel-16x6-5-5x100-40et-Black-Wheel/670876592

This is the spec on the full-size OEM wheel. 2017 Toyota Prius Prime - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs | Wheel-Size.com
    upload_2024-4-10_14-4-51.png

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found it hard to find a replacement temp spare for our 2010; Kal Tire said flat out (excuse the pun) they don’t deal with temp spares, suggested dealership.

Owners manual has spec.

FWIW, third Gen specd temp spare will also work, and it’s OD is closer to stock 15” tire OD, shy maybe 1/8”.

#16 Mendel Leisk, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Combined with above.

18. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unless you have a AWD, it doesn't really matter as the donut spare should always be put on a non traction wheel. So if you have a front tire flat, you replace the rear tire with the donut, replace the front flat tire with the rear tire you just remove. A bit more demanding to you, but far less demanding on the differential.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Ernesto Coatimundi

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm muchly obliged to everyone.

20. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cars for many years, going back in my family fleet to our 1996 Volvo, always use the reinforced pinch weld locations as noted above. There are rubber or metal pinch weld jack pads to make this easier to hold the right spot. Some bone headed mechanics will jack the pinch weld spots without the jack pads and bend the places over making the next jacking more difficult.