1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Scoop: Next GR Supra will be an EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Jan 31, 2023.

Tags:
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're looking at 2025 here so don't hold your breath. Bestcarweb.jp has found out the next Supra redesign will be all EV.

トヨタ 6代目スープラはEVに生まれ変わる!! FR+疑似MT採用で2025年登場か!? - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

Partial translation:
    "The GR Supra will be reborn as an EV!?
    [​IMG]
    There is eyewitness information that the EV Supra is designed like a midship sports. It looks like it will be a rear-drive, 450-500ps class 2-seater full-fledged sports car (image is a prediction CG by the best car)
     Recently, surprising information about Toyota & Lexus has been coming in one after another, and the BC scoop has no time to settle down, but the momentum continues in 2023. This time it's the GR Supra. To write the conclusion first, it will be reborn as an EV (electric vehicle) in 2025!

The GR Supra will have a GRMN specification equipped with a straight 6, 3L twin-turbo engine that has been significantly powered up to 550ps this year, and it will be the final model and production will end in 2025. As reported several times in the BC Scoop, there is no information that the plan has changed.

The GR Supra is finished with the electrification target of major countries around the world, including Japan. After that, I imagined that it would live on as a beautiful memory in the hearts of car lovers, but Toyota's strategy was far above that.

The GR Supra is an electric vehicle, and it is not a hybrid, but an EV and begins to spin a new history. That's what Toyota decided to do.
    What is the future of the platform used for the EV Supra!?
    [​IMG]
    It's hard to predict what the EV Supra platform will be like. Likely to be an improved version of e-TNGA (pictured)
     I know that it will be reborn as an EV, but I have not yet received detailed information on what it will be like. To list what is currently known, 1. Rear-wheel drive, 2. Design reminiscent of midship sports, 3. It will appear as the 6th generation GR Supra."

My turbo technology is not totally up to snuff, but a straight 6 and twin turbo? I thought a twin turbo was a turbo for each bank on a V6 or V8 or on Subaru's boxer engines like a Subaru engineer explained it to me. Perhaps they meant a twin scroll turbo?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They seem to be emulating Tesla, both with this and the gen 5 Prius. Not blatantly, but... Could do worse.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent... but man is it going to be expensive.

2025 is also really soon. The Supra's barely been out a few years

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay that should be pretty sick...

My next Supra challenge will be finding out if the one I saved on my PlayStation memory card still loads on Gran Turismo (og) as my daughter is almost old enough to benefit from video games. That was an incredible car...

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is also such a thing as sequential turbocharging, where you use a very small turbo for instant response but it wastegates out pretty quickly... just as the secondary larger turbo has spooled up to maintain boost the rest of the way up the curve.

I can't tell you what exactly it was linked to, but sequential boost was kind of a phase that the automotive world went through enthusiastically and left behind just as enthusiastically. I understand that there is a "second wave" in progress but I couldn't tell you if this were part of it.

drash likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Today's supra uses a twin scroll turbo charger on B58 bmw engine. Bmw's next M3 will have a similar engine S58, with 2 turbo chargers matching this rumor's power. I believe they each serve 3 cylinders which improves turbo lag versus having one bigger turbocharger.

For the roughly 400 hp supra a twin scroll works, but this beast will have over 500 hp. For efficiency mercedes is using a more expensive electric turbo instead of twin turbo chargers. In the amg C43 produces about 400. At low rpms when the engine needs boost the electronic supercharger spins it up with no lag. The C43 uses a 48V mild hybrid system since it needs a lot of power to spin up the turbo, and can recapture energy from the turbo. The upcoming C63 will come out later this year is a phev with a 6.1 kwh battery but a motor that can add 202 hp in up to 10 second bursts. The 2L I4 makes 469hp in this configuration making a combined 671hp to replace a v8. Garrett is making this f1 tech turbocharger for mercedes, and I believe will sell to anyone, so maybe toyota could drop one in the GRMN supra and get around 600 hp from it. My guess is the rest of the S58 engine is up for the task, but you might need a bigger intercooler.

#7 austingreen, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    drash likes this.
  8. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I don't get that sense. Tesla doesn't have a monopoly on good looks. In fact the new Prius looks better than Model 3.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's hard to say when Stellaris is talking out of both sides of their face. Does all electric mean their entire fleet? Or does it mean some of their cars will be all electric. Considering they're chatting up their turbo, most likely the latter.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Volvo's all electric statement, and China's EV policy, includes mild hybrids.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It is only 2023, stellantis said their plan for 2030 last year was 100% BEV in EU and 50% BEV in the US. I assume other countries will have a higher percentage of non BEV vehicles. These are aspirational goals and I do not expect that they will meet them, but hopefully will get mostly there.

They did invest in better turbo charging technology to follow BMW and then Mercedes to create a 3L straight 6 that replaces their v8s. In the case of the Dodge this beast will replace the 6.4L V8 hemi. I would expect the engine to be viable at least in phevs for the next 20 years, but will be much less important in 2035. I expect by 2030 most light pick up trucks will still have engines, but the v8s will be gone and their will be a lot of turbocharged V6 and I6 engines in phev configuration. The aluminum block 3L I6 will be around 200 lbs lighter than the iron block V8 yet will deliver better fuel economy and more power.