1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scosche AXIPTA Ipod interface

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sparkyAZ, Nov 7, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Sparky. I've already put in my RMA request but I'll take a look at the wires anyway, on the off chance it'll work.

Of interest, both my "with XM" and my "non-XM" cables have a fuse...perhaps an update from yours? also, the paperwork suggests that the unit will only work with a non-JBL system...mine is a JBL, yours?

2. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It sounds like they did update their cables which is a good thing. I never did find out from them the difference between the cables in my kit but let it drop after I got it working.

My Prius also has both the JBL and Navigation system. It seems unlikely that Toyota would do this, but perhaps they have a different pinout for the non-JBL stereo?

On the Scosche box the UPC # is 33991016194. The paperwork included with mine said it was for vehicles with JBL or Nav.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that is interesting...and a bit frustrating since it sounds like it should, indeed, work. I'll check the cables either tonight or tomorrow to make sure that's not the problem.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, interesting findings. On my cable that says "Non-XM" the wires are exactly as you describe above on the piece that connects to the unit. On the one marked 'for XM' the red and red/white strip are reversed...curious.

This is consistant...the only difference being that instead of the bottom row slot 5 being brown it's pink on mine with no brown wire at all.

I'm kinda tired of pulling my dash apart, but I keep thinking this dang thing oughta work if it worked for you. Just wish you had XM too. Thing is I tried mine without the XM connected and it didn't work then either. I guess you have to be hooked up to see the firmware version, I see no markings on the box or unit.

I double checked and the application note says 2004-2007 Prius "navigation only". Others vehicles it says w/JBL OR navigation. But I don't think it's possible to have NAV and non-JBL in the Prius so it should be for the NAV AND JBL....I would think.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll update this tomorrow, but I noticed something interesting looking carefully at the instructions. Apparently the MALE 12-Pin is supposed to plug directly into the XM module on the 'With XM' cable. I'd been plugging the male cable from the XM into the FEMALE 12-Pin cable that came with the Scosche unit.

It's super easy to access the XM controller in the back of my car so I may give this sucker one more shot and if it works I can then proceed to run the cable up to my iPod mount and do the disassembly. I was wondering why the heck the cable for the iPod was so dang long!!

6. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ha! So do I.

I agree that the instructions are a bit thin with regards to hooking up the unit. For the non-XM installation, it shows the 12 pin male plug connecting to the radio, and the 12 pin female connecting to the "12 pin factory male plug". I was expecting to find a cable plugged into the 12 pin connector on the back of the stereo, and that I would have to install the Y cable between that plug and the stereo. Of course, there was nothing in that connector on the stereo, so I just taped up the female end of the Y cable and tucked it away. If I had XM, I would have assumed the XM connection to the stereo would be unplugged and routed through the Y cable, as you tried.

Looking at the pictures again, I can see why the red and red/white wires have to be swapped. In the non-XM configuration, you are connecting the male 12 pin plug from the Scosche harness directly to the stereo and leaving the female end unconnected. In the XM configuration, you are connecting the 12 pin male plug from the Scoshe harness to the XM unit and the female to the XM harness that goes back to the stereo. The configurations are essentially reversed.

I'd say it's worth a shot trying it at the XM end, especially if it's accessible.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IT WORKS !!!!!

So all it takes is paying attention to the instructions...duh! Plugging the "Y" connector marked "with XM" male 12-pin DIRECTLY into the XM module is how you get it to work. Then the cable that used to be plugged into the XM module plugs right into the female 12-pin connector on the "Y" cable. I plugged the 24-pin connector into the Scosche module, let it initialize, connected the iPod and had music.

Now, I still can't seem to control the iPod via the touch screen for some reason, but perhaps I'll try reading the instructions (which have mysteriously disappeared this morning) and see if I can resolve that issue. But I CAN play the iPod manually and the XM works as well.

The trial period isn't over as I need to be sure I don't have any DICE-like MFD crashes when using NAV and all...but I'm more optimistic than I've been in a LONG time that this will actually work.

Thanks so much, Sparky, for your continued advice and encouragement as I definately would have send this thing back by now had you not been so positive about the unit.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok,
    After a quick test drive my initial enthusiasm is tempered a lot. There are definate conflicts with CAN-View and the NAV while the Scosche is hooked up. "Map" button on the screen brings up CAN-View most of the time now and once that happens there's no way to access the NAV or Map at all.:(

Also, I can't figure out how to start playing songs/music from the touch screen...I can search and find albums/songs/artists, etc. but there doesn't seem to be any way to get them to play. I'm using manual mode and selecting via the ipod itself and the sound is good that way.

I'll keep playing, and for now I'll keep the unit. But this conflict with the NAV and Can-view may still be a deal breaker.... We'll see.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I'll have to yank the Scosche after all. While I'm not experiencing any catastrophic crashes of the MFD things just "ain't right". CAN-View, for one, is not acting normally at all. I can't access the NAV at all. I can't get the on-screen controls for the iPod to work.

Music plays great...and I'd love to keep it...but unless I can think of an easy way to disable the Scosche when I want to use the NAV I think it'll have to go. Dang.

10. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm glad you finally got it working :) but it's too bad that it's not playing well with the other toys. :(

Regarding the lost instructions, if you go back to my first post I have a PDF file of the instructions (AXIPTA_Single.pdf).

A quick tutorial:
    First, from the main menu, make sure you are in ADV mode. If the button in the lower right says "MAN" press it and it should change to "ADV". You should get a check mark on the Ipod that says "OK to disconnect" in this mode. Once you select playlist, artist, album, genre, etc from the buttons on the screen, you should see the text of the first entry in the upper part of the screen. Use the TUNE knob on the stereo to scroll through the entries. When you get to the one you want, press the SCAN button. Now you have a couple seconds before it automatically begins playing the first song to use the TUNE knob to select which entry in the list you want. Once you hit the entry you want, press the SCAN button again to select that entry. From there, use the up/down button on the stereo to skip tracks.

11. lalittle

lalittle New Member

Do I understand correctly that the Scosche unit has a 256 item list limit?

Also, do I understand correctly that you cannot browse by "Genre/Artist/Album" -- i.e. that you select one of these, and when you select a sub-item (i.e. a "Genre") you immediately get a list of songs? This is what I was told by a guy I spoke with when I called Scosche, but this limitation strikes me as completely bizarre. By my way of thinking, it completely cancels out the usefulness of using the car to navigate.

I need to navigate by Genre/Artist/Album, like I can on any mp3 player or media program. Is this possible on the Scosche, or any other unit?

Thanks,

Larry

PS. Playlists are completely useless to the way I listen -- I don't know what I'll want to hear ahead of time.

12. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Larry

Unless they changed things in their firmware, yes, there is a 256 item list limit.

Regarding the operation of the unit, it follows the same directory structure as the Ipod. If you select Genre, then the first genre type alphabetically in the list shows up on the top of the MFD screen. If you don't do anything at this point it will sit and wait until you make a selection. You use the TUNE knob to scroll through the choices until you find the one you want, then hit the SCAN button (think of it as an enter key) to select that genre. Then you can use the TUNE knob to scroll through the songs or if you don't do anything at that point it will play the first in the selection. Once it hits the last song in that entry, it gives you a message " ...ended" and waits for you to scroll through the other choices and make a selection. The rest of the options (playlist, albums, etc.) work the same way.