1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scrape...scrape...scrape sound when turning left

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may need a 3 or 4 foot piece of copper, steel or pvc pipe to slide over the ratchet handle to get the nut off. Be sure you look at the threads, sometimes they are righty loosey instead of righty tighty.

2. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, and one more thing. Try to loosen that nut, not remove it, but loosen it, with the tire on the ground. Save your axles, CV joints and such from that torque from the wrench and the 4' cheater bar.

Same goes for tightening.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, mine's making a noise turning right. It's worse on hills and sharper turns, and only noticeable at slow speeds. The dealer's already checked it out and found nothing wrong. I think I should take it in to a better shop for a second opinion.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. I am planning to remove the tire when unstaking the hub nut. Then I plan to remove the center wheel cap, replace the tire and lower the car to the ground before attempting to remove the hub nut. I will ask my wife to step hard on the brake pedal to reduce the strain on the CV joints and transaxle.

I'm also planning to soak the driveshaft threads with penetrating oil. I have a 1/2" cheater bar and a 2' length of steel TV mast to extend the length of the cheater bar. I also have a 30 mm 12 point socket which should mate well with the 12 point hub nut. If that hardware breaks then I'll buy 3/4".

Since I weigh ~150 lb, if I am standing on the lever 3 ft away from the nut, that is like exerting 450 ft.-lb torque on the nut. Hopefully it will loosen without drama or damage to property or person. :eek:

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If not, make sure Mrs Wong has the camcorder warmed up. Could be entertaining

I once put so much torque on a rusted upper ball joint nut, that I not only bent the arm, I broke the nut.

In that situation, the only recourse is to grab a sledgehammer, scream, and start beating on it

6. ikklesmiler

ikklesmiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius was making a knocking/tapping/grinding noise when turning... it ended up being the CV joints needed replacing, this was at 91000 miles...

7. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Patrick, Couple of home made wheel chocks couldn't hurt.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. In my case there's no knock - whether accelerating, decelerating, or turning. So I believe that the CV joints are OK.

Yesterday I changed the engine oil/filter and transaxle fluid, at 94.6K miles. Since both front wheels were in the air I tried rotating each wheel with the car IG-OFF and in P. Interestingly, there was no unusual noise.

What's the difference between spinning the wheels when both are in the air while IG-OFF and P, vs. rotating one wheel at a time while the other side is on the ground and the car is IG-ON and N?

1. The front sway bar is putting a load on the side of the suspension that is in the air, if the other side of the suspension is on the ground

2. The transaxle config when N vs. P

I had my wife listen to the noise while I drove the car in tight circles around her, and she thinks the left side is noisier than the right. So there's a dispute about which hub bearing needs to be changed (or maybe both need to be?)

I am planning another 1,000 mile round-trip to southern CA this coming weekend so I won't be able to work on the car then. Hopefully the front wheels won't fall off during the trip. With upcoming holiday vacation plans, I might not be able to work on the car until January.