1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scraping noise when letting off the gas? Clutch for motor to generator?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Breck, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Breck

Breck New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    When I let off the gas I get a metal on metal scraping sound, comes and goes. The clutch that changes to motor to a generator has a piece of metal in it????

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat @Breck I suggested in your other thread the noise might be the rotors scraping on the brake pads when they've rusted overnight. If it is is nothing to worry about. Come back if you need it explaining in more detail.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A motor is a generator. Nothing has to 'change'. The inverter circuitry does it all through the timing of electric pulses to/from the MG.

Now a Prime, I've heard, may in fact contain a clutch. Are you driving a Prime?

-Chap

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never heard a scraping sound when letting off the accelerator in three different prius over 14 years, nor do i recall anyone else ever posting this type of problem.
    i suggest you have it looked at by a qualified hybrid mechanic before you get stranded somewhere where you can't afford to get stranded.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Per @bisco in your other thread: how many miles? This is very likely under warranty.

6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Now that you’ve started another thread I’m hesitant to chime in. I do know exactly what you mean by the scraping metal sound. I just don’t hear it in my gen 4.