1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scratched Paint after Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Mission Auto, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    So I went and got my windshield tinted, like I've done to all my cars. They did a crappy job and had to redo do it. The second attempt was even worse than the first, even parts were peeling off and cut through. So I had them remove it and refund me. That was 2 weeks ago. The car doesn't even have 4k miles on it and yesterday I noticed some very deep scratches on the hood, some parts down to metal. It's at exactly belt buckle height. What should I do? It's circumstantial evidence at best. I left a review detailing my experience on Google. What would you guys do? 1473260119243.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go back and show them how you think this could have happened.

#2 krmcg, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Are You sure the hood was scratched by the tint shop? All tinting is done from the inside of the vehicle... I'm not understanding here...

Edit: I had my entire car (all windows, sunroof and windshield) tinted a couple weeks ago without any issues. Granted I know for a fact that my tint place has the computer printout tint machine that precisely cuts the tint for whichever window. If your shop does not have this machine, which seems to be common among all tint shops to have this machine (industry standard) then maybe they free handed the tint for the windshield from the outside... So I guess it's possible if that's the case? Go to a place that has the computer printouts next time maybe.

#3 Blizzard_Persona, Sep 7, 2016
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry....but that's the "phrase that pays"
    or...in this case the one that doesn't.

What would I do?
    I would forget about it.....but it sounds like you may be a little more.....I'll use the word "particular"....about your car.
    If it's worth a few hundred bucks for you not to notice the scratches, then I would go to a reputable body shop and have them repaired.
    Of course you run the risk of having the body shop not performing the work to your satisfaction and making the hood even worse.....setting off a chain of events that will leave you driving a car that looks like something from one of the Mad Max movies. :eek:

It sounds like the tinting place tried to do right by you, and you "left a review" in the Googles that might not make them receptive for paying for hood damage that may or may not have occurred in the two weeks since they last saw your car.

My advice:
    (current street value: < $0.02)

Leave it.
    You're 2-3 grocery cart or door dings away from it not mattering that much any more.
    Best advice you'll hear today.

#4 ETC(SS), Sep 7, 2016
    RCO, KrPtNk and krmcg like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I was getting tinting, many years back, I noticed they would do lay out and cutting of the tinting pieces on the outside of the windshield, then move to the inside. My guess would be someone laying their tools down carelessly on the car.

Edit: just read your edit, you're saying basically the same as above, lol.

6. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get a wet sponge and wet the area where the scratches are. If you can't see them when the paint is wet, then your scratches are just in the clear coat. Any detailing shop can take those out for you by filling them in and then polishing down the clear coat a bit. It shouldn't be expensive.

Or if you are picky, look up some Youtube videos on how to do it. It isn't hard and you don't need expensive equipment to rub out some scratches.

RCO and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  7. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Try some liquid rubbing compound followed by liquid rubbing polish. Apply with and remove with a microfiber cloth and work the area slowly but don't over do it. Most scratches unless really deep will come out.

RCO likes this.
  8. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Parts of it are down to the metal. It's really deep. I know the photo doesn't do it justice. I'm a very particular person with my cars. Garage kept, even kept in a private covered parking area at work. Very annoyed

9. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    There isn't a template for most windshields. I watched them lay over my hood when cutting out the tint on the outside. I can not confirm that the person was wearing a buckle or not. But it's at exactly that height when I lay on it. No one has touched my car beside these people. I havent even had my first oil change.

10. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow... that truly sucks. This is why I get white cars. Scratches almost never show. I'm really feeling for you. I would be heartbroken.

RCO likes this.
  11. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I think just getting this out there for others to hear makes me feel better. But I do suffer from OCD and this is making my left eye twitch. Lol

Montgomery likes this.
  12. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Start by getting some touch-up paint from your dealer. Prep per instructions on vial. I use a toothpick to apply, it seems to work better than the brush included in the vial of paint which is usually too soft. Apply very thin coats and allow to fully dry before repeating. When coverage is complete, use very fine grade polishing compound (or toothpaste) to blend into surrounding paint. Don't rub hard, gentle is the key to not scratching the surrounding paint.

RCO likes this.
  13. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have a 2016 and yeah there is a template. Had mine done. Perfect fit, no gaps at all. Maybe your shop just doesn't have the template or program?

14. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Obviously the shop that did my tint sucks...

RCO likes this.
  15. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Sorry for your misfortune. The first scratch / ding / dent is always the worst...especially if if wasn't your fault!:mad:

Try some of the tips and pointers as posted above by myself and others if the tint shop won't fix the issue (maybe they will, worth a shot asking!).

RCO likes this.
  16. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I'll just take it to a paint shop and have them fix it. Then I'll have them install that clear bra stuff everywhere

17. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LoL, had to laugh about the twitching left eye (pink panther movies?) Anyway, I finally got my first scratch/ding last month. Had my car 1 year and finally someone parked next to me used my car as a door stop. Pissed me off to no end. I'm pretty good at removing dings on my own, but the scratchs that the turkey left was too deep. I have learned to live with it. Having seen your pictures, my ding/scratch is worse, but I respect your and empathize with your situation.

RCO and Mission Auto like this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to prove it would be relatively difficult - circumstantial evidence, a 2 week gap - personally, I'd forget any chance of recompense. There is the possibility that it could have occurred in some other way as well. Maybe try to buff it out with a fine polish.

RCO likes this.