1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scratches in the clear coat: Tideland Pearl

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeri, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Jeri

Jeri New Member

I have zealously attempted to protect our 2005 Tideland Pearl Prius but one area I wasn't watching was under the door handles. It looks like a cat had attacked these areas. Nothing deep but all these fine white scratches. I have the same problem on other areas of the car. I asked the Toyota body shop and the tech there said that Toyota now only uses one layer of clear coat which is insufficient. I have no similar scratches on my 2000 corolla so I am assuming he is correct. Is there anything that can be done to repair this? Body shop says no. Will the paint under these scratches eventually show damage? Why would Toyota cheapen such a wonderful car? Even the front window glass show scratches and I only took the car through an automatic car wash once. I use a soft mitt at home which I think is safer. If this isn't normal, would Toyota fix it?

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeri @ Oct 5 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]328674[/snapback]</div>
    Without seeing the damage, it's difficult to guess what's going on, but I have heard that the paint used on cars today is more environmentally friendly but less durable than it used to be...maybe this is the issue...?

Also, it occurs to me -- from personal experience -- that sometimes it's possible to obsess a little bit about small imperfections. I just got a little chip in the windshield of my '06, directly in front of where I look to see the road while driving, and it's making me crazy! But I'm trying to tell myself that it's just normal wear, and that I need to get over it.

It hasn't actually worked yet, though; I'll be the first to admit that I'm having great difficulty taking my own advice!

Are you looking at the scratches in just the 'wrong' light, or are they apparent all the time? Windshields, especially, scratch easily but can also be buffed out.

3. Jeri

Jeri New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 5 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]328712[/snapback]</div>

The scratches in the windshield are very evident but I will check a glass repair shop on that issue. I would still like to know why the glass is so soft. No such problems with the Corolla or Tacoma. The clear coat under the handles looks like someone with very long fingernails opens the door quite often. My fingernails are short and my husband's just about non existent. I'd like to find some kind of vinyl to put there.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeri @ Oct 6 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]329070[/snapback]</div>
    It really doesn't matter. My dad's Camry has scratches from fingers on all doors (obviously the front has more since it's more frequently used) and the driver's side especially. My mum doesn't drive so it's me, dad and bro that uses the driver's door and there are still scratch marks.

I would say wax helps hide it. It works on the Camry (and it's silver). I have a Tideland and the marks are starting to show but I've been diligently waxing the car. It should remove the fine scratches. Anything deeper would require a touch-up paint.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeri @ Oct 5 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]328674[/snapback]</div>
    If the scratches on your car are no worse than those I typically see on other cars, I'd say the body shop was wrong. You have three options: 1) ignore it, 2) hide it, or 3) eliminate it.

To hide it, you'll need to use an LSP (last step product) with a lot of fillers. Zaino Z-5 doesn't qualify. Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax has lots of fillers and therefore lots of hiding ability. I've heard that Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid wax also has a lot of fillers too. Applying a separate glaze with fillers before your LSP will also work.

To eliminate it, you'll probably need a medium polish followed by a fine polish, both applied by machine. A few coats of good sealant will help prevent further scratching as a slick surface allows objects to slide off without scratching rather than digging in and making a scratch. I'd go with Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP) followed by the Final Polish II (FPII). Normally you start with the milder product and only move to the more agressive polish if needed, but at this point I'm familiar enough with the paint hardness on my cars and the polishes I use to know what is needed by just looking.

This past weekend I polished out some scratches made by tree branches on my sister's car, using some Menzerna Intensive Polish and an orbital polisher. Menzerna IP is a pretty agressive polish, one step below a light compound. With an orbital polisher, you'd probably not want to do your entire car with this more than a half-dozen times in its lifetime to preserve clearcoat thickness (of course, someone truly unskilled with a rotary could probably burn through to bare metal within a minute). I followed up the spot application of IP with Menzerna Final Polish II over the whole car, since I had clayed it (most experienced detailers will always polish after claying - Zaino's instructions are for noobs). FPII is a much milder polish; assuming a normal aplication you could use it twice a year for ten years and still have plenty of clearcoat left. It barely removes any clearcoat. This was followed with two coats of Z-5 and one of Z-8 (ran out of time to do a coat of Z-2 after the Z-5). If you're wondering why I used Z-5 even though I had polished the car - the light in the garage wasn't good enough to tell whether I had a truly flawless finish after polishing, so to be safe I figured I'd put on a couple coats of Z-5 to cover up any tiny flaws I had missed.

6. diane

diane New Member

Jeri: I have a salsa Prius and the same finger scratches. I also asked about it and was told that it was from my fingernails and that all of the Prius door handles are like this. My bigger problem is with the paint on the hood which has many chips in it - the car is red and the paint when chipped is white underneath. IT is easy to see. Neither the dark gray nor the blue have this problem. I am taking it in to the service rep next week. I'll let you know if I get any satisfaction either with myy pronblem or yours.
    Diane

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeri @ Oct 5 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]328674[/snapback]</div>

7. yakky

yakky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 6 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]329212[/snapback]</div>
    Hi fellow Autopian! I'm sure you completely confused the inital poster...lol .

A simple fix might be some Meguiars ScratchX available at most any Target, Walmart, etc. frollowed by a decent wax. If this won't remove the scratches, you should seek the help of a real professional detailer to see if they think they can fix the scratches.

Finding a real detailer may be harder than finding a good mechanic. 95% of the places you see that are called detail shops are merely clown show operations that cause more damage than you had and use coverup products that soon dissapear and have your paint looking worse.

Once the finish is where you want it, some of the clear bra covering will help it stay that way if you are scratching the finish.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful buffing out your windshield! Make sure to look at it in different lighting conditions as you go. Otherwise, you might be surprised to find that what looks good from one angle is...well, not so good...from another.

I just discovered this this weekend, to the tune of a forthcoming windshield replacement. I received a lesson -- the hard way -- about how delicate auto glass really is, and how inportant it is to know when to stop.

I used the Zaino glass buffing compound; it worked great. It'll remove fine scratches, as advertised, but don't take it too far (as I did) or you'll be wishing you could go back to the way it was *before* you attempted the 'repair'!

9. diane

diane New Member

Jeri: I have a salsa Prius and the same finger scratches. I also asked about it and was told that it was from my fingernails and that all of the Prius door handles are like this. My bigger problem is with the paint on the hood which has many chips in it - the car is red and the paint when chipped is white underneath. IT is easy to see. Neither the dark gray nor the blue have this problem. I am taking it in to the service rep next week. I'll let you know if I get any satisfaction either with myy pronblem or yours.
    Diane

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeri @ Oct 5 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]328674[/snapback]</div>

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 6 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]329146[/snapback]</div>
    I would consider the 3M clear bra material under the door handles; that should do the trick. Good luck.