1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Scratches" "slashes" or "streaks" on lit MFD, no surface damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lovejoy, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Lovejoy

Lovejoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After getting my car back from having the speedometer display replaced on my 2006 Prius (bought new July 2006, 140k mi on it), the new speed display is BRIGHT but my multi-function display screen is a bit dimmer. Now, after bringing it back for a replaced water pump, the MFD showed what I thought was scratches on the back-up cam, as these days I only look at the thing when backing up. (Though now this brings me back when it was new, and I couldn't stop looking at how much mpg I could get!)

However, I eventually noticed the "slashes" or "scratches" show up on the basic info display too, and I noticed there's dark streaks along the bright lines. When the display is off, there's no damage. Does anyone know what could cause this? Just a freak of aging? I would think if the mechanic damaged the unit, there would be visible damage (they cracked the thin plastic around the air vent next to the steering column). I'm taking it back for them to fix the intermittent "click/rattling, once or twice a quick squeak" when the car idles that's been building since the water pump work (didn't get the air out? something else about the install?), I want to know if I should be cranky about the MFD too... :)

Thanks for any ideas y'all have! I lurk a bunch, so much gratitude for all the info shared in the past, too. This forum is my go-to. :D

Here's what the MFD looks like lit, hope it's clear enough:

Here's the "No Damage" view... pretend I wiped off the fingerprints first...

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Touch-screens can be damaged without visible marring on the surface. I don't have the experience to tell if your damage is physical or electrical in nature. Do all the touch features work okay?

If the mechanic who replaced the combination meter damaged one piece of the dash, it's possible he or she damaged the MFD, too. It has to be removed for the job, and touch screens need to be treated carefully. Did a Toyota dealer do the work?

A rattle in the dash is likely to be related to poor workmanship with the meter replacement, not the water pump. Coolant system noises are more likely to be gurgling, cavitating, or squealing. Or your engine destroying itself..

It would be a good idea to keep an eye on the coolant reservoir(s) in the next few days, make sure the coolant stays full. Even dealer mechanics mess that up sometimes.

3. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My sense is that these "screens" are multiple layers. The damage you are seeing is likely on one of the layers behind the touch surface. I see this on other touch devices, like phones and tablets. Particularly devices that have been bent or dropped.

4. Lovejoy

Lovejoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    William: Hmm, since it seems the unit was dropped, that does sound like what you saw on touch devices! The touchscreen works.

Andrew: Thanks for the heads up about the coolant & meter! I'll check that now. It's the Toyota dealer we've been going to for almost 10 years now, they've usually taken good care of this. I don't think it's quite a gurgling sound, but I don't have a lot of experience in auto sounds... I noticed a short squeak yesterday so now I'll listen better next time I drive it.

#4 Lovejoy, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016