1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

screen polarization

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by krausternet, Feb 27, 2018.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm thinking about getting a Prime with the big screen. I also want leather seats so the screen is not the only factor for what level I will be purchasing.

On my 2013 level 3 I have found the 4 inch display frustrating because the polarization doesn't work with any of the polarized prescription sunglasses that I have used. The screen image is mostly filtered out when I wear polarized glasses. I have to take off my glasses to see the 4 inch screen which isn't practical either because I can't see it as clearly as needed with the glasses off. This seems like a ridiculous design mistake on toyota's part. Has this been fixed on the new large screens? Did they get the angle of polarization correct this time?

Wuzki likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is a good question, i don't recall reading about it yet. i have read that sun washout is still a problem.

3. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sometimes it has glare, but not too bad. I don't see polarizing problem when I ware sun glasses.

bisco likes this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only thing that is difficult to see in the Advanced (and Premium) with polarized glasses has been the HUD display. If the brightness is turned up to the highest setting, it is readable. No problem with the MID screens or the main 11" display.

5. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually my main problem with 11" display is when there is direct sun light on it, and it is completely not readable. It happens, not that often though. The sun must be rear right afternoon, and LCD reflects the sunshine to my eyes directly and I cannot read it.

But I have not tint it yet. I will tint it soon.

6. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: the 11" screen, tinting might not help much. If the Sun is from the far middle right of the windshield (fall, winter, early spring around here), that's when I can't see the screen as well or at all. The windshield is the least legally tintable glass in a car. Even those who have gone slightly beyond the tinting limits still report some screen screen reflection with oddly angled sunlight. YMMV.

What would help -- and there were aftermarket products that were made for the Gen2 screens -- is a frame around the screen literally blocking the light from certain angles. Kinda ugly looking though.

Navigation Screen Sun Visor Hood for 2004-2009 Toyota Prius - PriusChat Shop

#6 DavidA, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You just need a good pair of sunglasses ;):sneaky:

8. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, I wear a prescription pair of Oakley polarized sunglasses, and that doesn't much help the 11" screen glare. It does hurt the visibility of the HUD quite a bit. Turning up the brightness of the HUD fixes that situation.