1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screen Protector or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by KimPrius3, Jun 27, 2016.

1. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Should I put a screen proctor on the touch screen? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Attached Files:

2. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I keep a small soft computer type cloth in the center console... for when finger prints get too bad.

I would not put a screen protector on there. It's not like a phone you throw in your purse. Nothing should come in contact with it, that could scratch it. Plus I feel a screen protector might lessen the touch screen experience.

Then this advice is coming from a guy who never uses a screen protector on my iPhone(s). I keep a dedicated pocket for the phone... and nothing else goes in it. Never have I had any screen issues. But that's just me. Shhh... don't tell anybody... but my iPhone is naked! It doesn't even have a case! I'm a bad boy.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic. :)

KimPrius3 and wrprice like this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm really weird. When I was waxing the outside of the car, I crawled inside and waxed all the shiny black parts on the dash, including the touch screen. Now the dust just "beads up." :ROFLMAO: I also did the "fine white china" cup holders. (Meguiar's Ultimate Wax.)

I try and not touch the screen too often, and instead use the buttons on the steering wheel to change stuff. And like PriUncut, I keep a small micro-fiber cloth in the car for any fingerprints/dust. Enjoy your beautiful red Prius.

PriUncut, KimPrius3 and krmcg like this.
  4. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only things I already have in the car is a micro-fiber cloth and my sunglasses. I use the micro-fiber cloth nearly every time I exit the car and wipe the shiny black with it as well. What kind of wax did you use on the inside shiny parts?

5. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. It seems to be very mild, and didn't scratch. (but probably any mild non-gritty liquid car wax would do. Not sure if it made any real difference, as I still get dust clinging to the screen and black surfaces.

Meguiar's liquid works great on the outside of the car; been using it many years on every vehicle I've owned. Goes on & off very easy. But something odd is happening with my white Prius car... Tiny flies and gnats are attracted to that car! I don't know if it's the white paint, or the smell of the Meguiar's wax, or if they like the car wash soap, or what???

KimPrius3 and PriUncut like this.
  6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I've had touch screens in car for years with no adverse wear.

I would not had a protector: If your finger nails, calluses, rings, food residue, spills are not an issue.

Noting food: If you eat and drink in the car, then I would consider a protector.

PS Not sure if the screen's touch performance is degraded if a protector is added.

PPS Meguiars plastic cleaner followed by plastic polish keeps the clear screen looking new in my experience and the products I use instead of a wax.

KimPrius3, PriUncut and Coast Cruiser like this.
  7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I use a Swiffer on the dash and screen to remove dust and pollen. It does a good job.

KimPrius3 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  8. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer is another option for the interior. It has some wax like polymer technology in it... and it's easy to wipe off. That's what I use on the interior and on the exterior in-between washing. Great product. Reasonably priced.

Tip: spray on the rag (or microfiber cloth, then wipe on the surfaces you're cleaning. Don't spray it on the dash or Nav screen... too many risk places the liquid can go.

KimPrius3 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whatever you use... Make sure it's a mild wax. Not something that's harsh and made to remove swirl marks in paint.

There may be a special coating or finish on the white console, and those black pieces (also the touch screen?) So I only put on a very light coat, gently!

In the past, I've always waxed my headlights. And I did the lights on my new Prius a couple times. Then somebody said it is not recommended, per the Owner's Manual.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  10. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good advice! That's why NOTHING goes on my Nav touch screen... I only use a soft iPhone type soft screen cloth. That's all I ever use on my phone... and it's all you ever need on the Nav screen too. IMHO.

KimPrius3, krmcg and Coast Cruiser like this.
  11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are absolutely correct. From now on, I just use a soft cloth on all surfaces.

When I first got my Prius, I spilled some green tea on the white cup-holder console. After that, I went nuts and started waxing everything inside the car. :ROFLMAO: But it's fine without the wax. The black and white pieces (and touchscreen) seems like good quality plastic. Spills and fingerprints are removed easily.

Now I go crazy in a different area... I waxed inside the little fuel-filler compartment, and all the white painted surfaces under the hood, and inside the engine bay. And all the door-jams. And underneath the doors. And everywhere inside the rear hatch door... Anything that's painted white, got wax! :LOL:
    Can you tell I'm bored? ;) :eek:

KimPrius3 and krmcg like this.
  12. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wash this car more than any other I have ever owned. and bought a brush for between-wash dusting. How do I find the time?

PriUncut, Coast Cruiser and KimPrius3 like this.
  13. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think that's a good idea to wax the fuel-filler compartment (not that we'll be using it much).;) My Camry got all dirty up in there. Yesterday I took a Swiffer and dusted out the door-jams, but waxing would help there also I think. :LOL:

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  14. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not going to be eating and drinking in the car and my nails are always trimmed up, no calluses either. I appreciate the advice about the Meguiars plastic cleaner and plastic polish. I must get some for my new ride, thanks!! Several on here have recommended the Meguiars wax for the outside as well. How often should the outside be waxed? I've really never cared about another car before this one.

15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    KimPrius4, I think it just comes down to personal opinion on how often to wax a car. (There's some good "auto detailing" threads in the forum archives.) Everybody has their favorite brand of wax/polish, and various ways of doing it. I'm certainly no expert; just an average retired Joe.

Our cars have a clear coat finish on them... so that's why I've always just used a mild liquid wax that's easy to apply/remove. In California, it's always sun sun sun... so I may tend to go a bit overboard with the waxing. At a minimum, I do it 2 times in the summer, and 2 in the winter. (Or just every 3 months. The Prius is fairly small, I can zip through it in 30 minutes.) Your red car is very nice looking! :)

KimPrius3 likes this.
  16. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cut a piece of 3m or sunteck clear paint protection film if you want and apply it on the screen.

I'm with the guy above, run phone and other items nakid these days. Had enough of moth balling and over protecting my cherished items in life so only the next owner enjoys them.

SM-G928T ?

Patrick Boase likes this.
  17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't use a screen protector.
    In my case, my Prius is nearing 3 years old. I use a swiffer insert to pick up dust, this works great, and takes seconds to remove dust while sitting in a drive-thru or parked and if I notice any fingerprint build up, I use a screen cleaner.-One of those pop up, pre-moistened screen cleaners. And after 3 years it looks fine.

So my feeling is sticking anything on the screen, just has the potential to do more harm than good.

As far as how often you should wax? Well that's kind of up to you. When I was younger, I washed, waxed my vehicle....probably too much.
    Now formal waxing comes about twice a year. I try to make sure it's waxed sometime in Spring...for Summer, and then sometime in Fall for Winter. I keep it clean and use detailer, spray wax throughout the year.

But I admit, I'm not keeping it up to the standards I use to employ. Which was trying to keep my vehicle at near showroom level.
    Now I'm happy if it just looks better than 90% of the cars in the parking lot.

And with some discipline and a moderate routine, I can maintain that standard relatively easily,

#17 The Electric Me, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016