1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screen protector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bozebuurman, Nov 27, 2005.

1. notsure

notsure New Member

Is the screen size the same between the 2005 and 2006, pre buying the protector (from nav protector) Since I have no wheels yet I can't measure the screen.

Thanks

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Defiantly way cool!

3. tag

tag Senior Member

I could probably do the research myself BUT........what's a good brand and is there any good place to buy a pair online?

TIA

4. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

I promised a review. Here are my initial impressions of the Sigma MFD protector which I received and installed today. First of all they charged me $16 + $9 shipping=$25. The package arrived USPS priority mail and the shipping price on the cardboard envelope was $3.85. I got ripped off on the shipping.

Instructions are clear. You must clean your screen thoroughly. I dampened a soft cotton rag with distilled water and wiped the screen clean. After it dried I took a can of compressed air (the kind you use for computers and other electronics) and blasted air to the MFD a few times to get rid of any remaining dust particles. The very thin protector is tacky on one side. It applied easily and fit perfectly. I smoothed it out with the edge of a credit card- no air bubbles!

I powered up the car and tested out the MFD. It is virtually invisible and works as if the protector isn't there.

The instructions go on to suggest replacing the protector every 2 months. This can get quite costly over time. Hopefully I can keep mine clean and not have to replace it for a long time.

Overall, and so far, I recommend this screen protector.

I'll report back on how it holds up over time.

5. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you make that screen shade yourself and how did you attach it? Velcro, glue?

PS, this is my first post, just got my Prius last week, someone cancelled their order so we jumped on it! No waiting list! :lol:

6. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

The Sigma MFD/Nav (if you have the nav) protector has a peel off backing. Simply remove the backing and apply the tacky side of the protector to the MFD- no velcro, glue or anything else. The size is precut to fit precisely. When I point out to people that I have a screen protector they always give the same response (where? what screen protector?). It truly is virtually invisible and the touch screen continues to work (perhaps even better) than before. No, I am not a shill for Sigma, just a satisfied customer. In fact, I think the product is overpriced, but what isn't?

7. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I meant that thing that looks like a shag rug, seems like it's meant to shade the screen.

8. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I am not sure where the ones in the pics are from but you can get very nice shades that attach with velcro from here http://stores.ebay.com/Prius-Hoods

I bought one, leather very good seller had the hood for the mfd in about 1 day.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doc Mike Ob/Gyn from Doc Henry Ob/Gyn I got the visor on eBay. Try this one to start: http://www.wakeup.to/priusdisplayhood.

10. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Doc...I might try making something myself first. I had bought a carpet for my garage floor to soak up oil from my leaky Subaru...it was that leak that motivated me to trade it in for a Prius. Any how, I trimmed it to fit in the tailgate. Since I'm on a homemade kick now, I'll tackle a sun visor next.

11. Cogtx

Cogtx Junior Member

Just received the LCD protector from screenpatronus.com and installed according to instructions. After several attempts, still had way too many bubbles on the screen which made the display look bad. Waste of money... No joy here!!! :(

12. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used some old PDA covers. They had some small print at the edges, but they don't block any of the MFD's display. It took two tries to get it without bubbles, and I had to use 2 to cover the screen. The trick was to do it all in one motion. It's still not perfect, but I like the idea of keeping my fingers off the screen.

13. tag

tag Senior Member

I guess the old NuShield MFD protector had one nice feature; it had sufficient stiffness such that smoothing out bubbles wasn't an issue. Hopefully, the new one will be similar in that respect but they can also find a way to eliminate excessive glare.