1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

+Screen stays black when pushing the Power On button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 93dawg, Aug 13, 2018.

1. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That fuse is my first guess...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

SW WASHINGTON the real Washington (Bought 08/15/14
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an update. The battery charger I was using wouldn't charge the circuit because it wasn't sensing enough voltage. I had just assumed the there was no voltage. After a day or two passed I decided to measure the voltage and it was something below 2 volts (i don't remember the exact amount. So I go a hold of an older charger and put it on to charge at 10 amps and then left it. This is the strange part as this charger normally tapers off as the battery charge increases. Well I went to check on it about 4 hours later. The charger was red hot and was still charging at the full 10 amps. So I disconnected the charger and started the Prius and everything seemed to work okay. I checked it a couple times a day for several days and everything seemed fine. Somebody asked me how often I drive this car and I drive it twice a month to keep the battery charged.

My everyday driver is a Leaf and I don't like to buy gas. I couldn't pass up leasing the Leaf as it was a no down payment and $159 per month deal. I checked the electricity charge cost for the first 6 months and it averaged less than $18 a month which is 1/4 to 1/5 of what our average gas bill runs per month. I love everything about the Leaf. We are too old to take trips but if we did we would use the Prius. The Prius is a great car but the Leaf is even a greater car.

I have used the Prius a couple of times since charging the battery and everything seems to be okay at least so far.

I want to thank everybody for their help and suggestions which were all very much appreciated.

Jim

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on an easy fix... Prius Hybrid batteries don't like being rarely driven... Perhaps you have a friend or family member you could loan/rent your Prius out too? Or the other option would be Prolong hybrid battery charging system and wiring harness for $500 The wires are easy to install, I'd be happy to do that for you next time I'm passing through your town? Prolong® Battery Systems FAQ – Hybrid Automotive

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your success is not likely to last.
    The first two sentences above are evidence of that.

After you get a new battery, you would be better off to keep a small tender-type smart charger attached all the time between drives.

And finally, if you are not going to NEED to drive it hardly at all, you would be better off to SELL it and rent a car for longer trips.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're crazy... Do you have any idea how much a car rental costs these days and how much it cost to fill up a tank on "brand New" total crap low MPG rental car?

DLC82SV likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Chill. I don't appreciate the insult.

I rent cars often......even though I have 2 and a motorcycle.....so yes, I know how much it costs.

A rental car comes with the tank full and you pay only for what you use.......by bringing it back full.

If you think that renting a car once a year is going to be more expensive than the depreciation, loan payments and maintenance on a car you own and only really use once a year.......I guess you know a little bit about "crazy".

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, I insulted you? I'm suppose to chill? Your reputation on PriusChat is quite clear, not something you can act like doesn't exist.... Also depreciation on a 10 year old car is negligible. Depreciation has to do with poor people who can't afford to buy new but suckered into piling one upside down car loan on top of the other... And the cost of gas in a 25mpg rental car somehow doesn't count because the rental car comes with a full tank? How is that not crazy talk?

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What else would you say "You're crazy." is but an insult ??

I never said that the cost of gas in a rental car doesn't count.

I had no intent to start a flame war here. For some people in a situation like you described, they would be much better off to get rid of that second car.

And your comment about "poor people" is just downright nasty.
    Yes, I think you need to chill.......and get your ego under control.

10. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Over two months have passed by and my Prius still seems to be working okay... Still only driving it two or three times a month. Wish I knew somebody I could trust to drive it most every day who wouldn't put very many miles on it because if I did I would let them use it. I really do think it would be better for the car to be driven regularly.

For now I am keeping my fingers crossed...haha...

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much longer is the lease on your Leaf? Are you going to buy it or return it.

12. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Returned the 2016 Leaf recently and leased a 2018 Leaf.

13. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It only had 13,700 miles on it.

14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    For that to be true it has to be MORE than a few miles.
    It really is better to just leave it sit and keep the battery charged up.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What a conundrum... You have an all electric car with not enough range in the battery... And a hybrid-electric car with unlimited range for longer trips but the NiMH battery pack requires you to drive it more often to keep the hybrid battery charged and balanced so it doesn't fail. Crazy!

If you want, I'm an hour North of you and have an extra Prolong Hybrid Battery Charging Harness for your Prius. It cost me $149. Maybe we should spend an hour installing it and then you can borrow/rent the charger from me, which I can drop off during my drives to Portland so you you can top off and balance the hybrid battery charge prior to occasional longer drives?

Skibob likes this.
  16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So how exactly do save money by leasing a leaf and driving it around 7000 miles a year and not driving your paid for Prius?

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because when you finance a lease, you get the very expensive new car experience that's based on the illusion that it's not really costing very much.

It does add up over time, but most people make these decisions based on how good the experience is, not how much it costs, especially if the costs is spread out over time. And besides, it's perfectly normally for a husband and wife to each have their own car, right?

18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually my wife and I did have our own cars. But we also each had our own jobs to get to, and 2 houses. So that’s 4 cars.

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Makes no sense to me... I live in a house plant filled studio apartment with barely over 300 sq ft. and a carport for my Prius next to it. The best thing about living with not enough room is it makes you super skillful with making the most with very little. Kinda like what a Prius can do with 10 gallons of gas. :)

20. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing wrong with that. Ever see that show “tiny houses”? Some couples with kids move into spaces not much bigger that that.