1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sd I buy corrosion protection, paint sealant?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by diver110, May 18, 2006.

1. diver110

diver110 New Member

I took delivery of a 2006 Toyota Prius today. One of the things they wanted to sell me, but I have not yet purchased, is a bunch of protective stuff: Paint sealant, interior protection, undercoating, corrosion protection. The cost for all of it is pricy, $1298. Is any of it worth it?

They also wanted to sell me an extended warranty. I researched posts on that. It looks like it might be worth it, but there is no rush as I can buy it as long as the primary warranty is in effect (though the price might go up). I also found the posts for the place in MA that has a good deal on it. Still, if anyone has any comments in this regard, I would be happy to hear them.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The short answer, IMHO, is no. If you feel you need that type of protection, you can DIY a lot cheaper and get the same results.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diver @ May 18 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]257798[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's generally agreed upon around here that these dealer add-ons are pure dealer profit, and pretty much worthless to the end buyer. If you are concerned about the underside of the car (you have a lot of road salt during the winter or something), talk to a third party about it, you could probably have it done for much less. for the paint, Zaino seems to be about the best thing you could do. For the interior, i purchased a few cans of Scotch Guard from Lowe's and did it myself. The dealer can't really do anything more than that, and it's only a few minutes to apply.

4. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A friend in the car business told me the "protection" package was worthless. the only upside was the once a year detailing, but you can get that done elsewhere......

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diver @ May 18 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]257798[/snapback]</div>
    All worthless. Some are actually harmful. Everything is pretty well protected at the factory. The aftermarket stuff is all redundant, and the aftermarket undersoating can actually trap moisture and accelerate corrosion.

The extended warranty is a form of insurance, but is overpriced. If you are inclined to worry about post-warranty repairs it might be worth it for the peace of mind, but, like gambling in Las Vegas, the odds are against you. I.e., you are more likely to come out behind with the extended warranty.