1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SE add footwell lights from higher trims

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by purplePriii, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Lantaral

Lantaral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks

50% brightness when the car is being driven, lights in both front and rear?

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Prices for the parts I listed a few posts ago:

82998-24290 - $1.44+$2.56 S/H (package includes 10, you'll need 4 of them)
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803154035818.html

82998-12690 - $1.44+$2.56 S/H (package includes 10, you'll need 4 of them)
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803154784444.html

90980-11918 - $4.19 (you'll need 2)
    Female Connecter Housing

81080-33290 - $13.96 (you'll need 2)
    Lamp Assembly | Part #8108033290 | Toyota Auto Parts

20AWG wire (a few bucks if you don't already have some laying around

An open barrel crimper if you don't already have one ($10-$30 depending on quality)

The pretax total cost worked out to be $8 for the terminals, and $36.27 for the Toyota parts(if you buy enough other parts to get to $75 for free shipping - maybe some wiper blades, oil, or filters). So $44.27 total for the parts, plus some wire and the crimper if you don't already have one.

edit: Oh yeah, this is only for the front footwell lights. It doesn't include anything for the rear seats.

#22 Hammersmith, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    wrtboy168 and Lantaral like this.
  3. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yes. They aren't particularly bright to start with, and I said <50% because I'm pretty sure it's really in the 30-40% range. But it's impossible to know exactly unless you've got access to the code. The lights are pointed towards the toes of your feet, so you'd never notice them while driving even during a pitch-black night. In fact, I was convinced they stayed off while driving before I started typing that, so I jumped into my car to confirm before posting. And I had just spent an hour driving home in the dark not an hour before and still thought they shut off while driving(until I specifically checked for it later).

I don't have the rear seat lights installed yet, so I'm only talking about the front seat lights.

wrtboy168 and Lantaral like this.
  4. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i spotted a few other foot well light kits offered in aliexpress and mostly are for the highlander and camry. do the white connectors look familiar?

[​IMG]

Lantaral likes this.
  5. Lantaral

Lantaral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Looks like a variety of JST connectors.

6. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    just need to find a kit that works with the prius le. hope someone can post a pic of the original harness where the oem foot well lights. maybe one of these aliexpress kits would have a connector that simply plugs in to play. :sneaky:

7. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    From my reading of the wiring diagram, there isn't going to be a simple connector to plug into. The connectors that plug into the LEDs themselves appear to be part of one of the main wiring harnesses. On the XLE/LTD and the Primes, there are 4 wires that come out of either the Power Distribution Box Assembly or one of the junction connectors and they are immediately wrapped into the main harness. The 4 wires become 2 pairs which exit the main harness near the LED locations.

To add lights to the LE, a person would have to run wires from the PDBA and junction connector to the lights(basically create a sub-wire harness) or bypass the stock way of doing it and tap into some other wires. The first way will give you stock behavior of lights(light up upon unlock, dimming once in D/R); the second way will either involve a manual switch or have cruder behavior(probably no dimming, just on or off).

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but the wiring diagram seems pretty clear. I'll attach them. The lights are on page 10(K27 and K28), with the wiring extending into page 11.

Attached Files:

Lantaral and wrtboy168 like this.
  8. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm late to the party but I checked this weekend on the driver's side and it seems like a split with the bundle of wires that goes to the OBD port in mine. I have some pictures but not sure how clear they'll be if you want. It's a blue and red wire. There is tape on the split and not sure if that's how they split or what it is exactly.