1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sea level rate of change

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jun 24, 2012.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean the very close-in local rise, not the global rise?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    airplanes and ships too. and how about all the junk that gets thrown overboard from cruise ships?

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, though a big enough cliff, even one already submerged, can make it less local.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The stuff thrown off ships was already displacing its weight in water, so landing in the water doesn't raise the water level. The same as ice, when floating ice (e.g. icebergs, un-grounded ice shelves) melts, it doesn't raise the water level.

In fact, if the stuff thrown overboard sinks, the water level might even fall slightly, as the object displaces less water volume. But accurately measuring the actual change (instead of merely computing what is ought to be) is an exercise that I'll leave to someone else.

benagi likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you load up the ship at port, and unload it at sea, au contraire. (except for seafood) but i was just tweaking the respected congressman from alabama.

#85 bisco, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some ships and some cargoes to sink at sea. Total may be smaller than 40,000 tons of annual meteor infall. But now we are down in very small numbers compared to river delivery of continental crust to the sea. Which is itself very small compared to net melting of grounded ice.

Which is itself very small to what Thwaites Glacier, Antarctica, could do to sea level if it unhooks. Has not done so yet.

benagi likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes disjointed facts are commingled to ill effect:
    • Tsunami sources - typically earth movement that can include landslides (notably LaPalma)
    • Sea level rise - combination of land ice melt and surface water heating
    • Loss of land - what happens when sea level rise
    This is not a defense of Mo Brooks as much as initial diagnosis of how such deniers gasp at straws. The sea level rise 'removes' land lost to the higher surface level. The effect was labeled the cause.

Bob Wilson

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Golly, he's sticking with it:

Rep. Mo Brooks responds to John Archibald's 'vilifying' column | AL.com

A new set of 'items'. Hard to call them new, having been set aside (displaced by evidence and reason) for what feels like a very long time.

Sticking with his guns (so to speak) with erosion and rockfall
    "Over the history of planet Earth, far and away the #1 cause of sea level rise has been erosion and its resulting deposits of sediment and rocks into the world's seas and oceans. There is no close second cause of sea level rise."

How growth and depletion of grounded ice escapes his notice, I really cannot speculate. (actually he waves that away in a baffling manner)

But once again, we can take current erosion rates, assume them constant through geological time (highly unlikely to be correct), and guess how long it would take all ocean basins to 'fill' with sediment up to current sea level. Ka-ching!

180 million years. If one wonders how this filling up has not happened, I refer you to marine subduction zones. And Mr. Brooks as well, should any happen to see him.

This result was more satisfying to me than may be obvious. It is very similar to the Wilson Cycle (not named for our local host) of 200 million years. One meaning of Wilson Cycle is the time from subduction to re-release from volcanoes. The 'underworld cycle' if you will. Sea floors are apparently in a more or less equilibrium state. Fascinating.

A related calculation has been done for chloride in sea water. Chloride carried 'out' by rivers. If I recall correctly that balance worked out to 70 million years, and that result was used to argue against a billions-years-old Earth.

Same problem; same solution. Salt (along with solids) goes 'down the (subduction) drain'.

==
    I tell ya, things you can learn by examining sub-scientific howlings are pretty nifty. Tell me mo, Mo, telll me mo.

benagi likes this.
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    More iron pyrite from the same 'mine':

"roughly 87 percent of icebergs are below the water line, which means only about 13 percent of floating sea ice affects sea levels."

Archimedes is rolling over in his bathtub. Or wherever he may be. How water displacement works is apparently not taught in Alabama schools. On the verge of tears here.

His last 'thoughts':
    "The public needs good information in order to make wise decisions about our future."
    Tearfully I agree. Iron pyrite and irony in the same package.

==
    Things being as they are, I'm inclined to develop a new-shaped coffin particularly for scientists and other speakers of truth. Cylindrical in cross section, possibly with bearings at both ends, to facilitate rotation.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is fine, let's see the sources.
    The earth's orbit changes per the100,000 year Milankovitch cycle and it was expected to be seen in 1970. However, Nobel Prize winning, Svante August Arrhemius " in 1896, was the first to use basic principles of physical chemistry to calculate estimates of the extent to which increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) will increase Earth's surface temperature through the greenhouse effect. These calculations led him to conclude that human-caused CO2 emissions, from fossil-fuel burning and other combustion processes, are large enough to cause global warming."

Subsequent studies have shown Arrhemius was right and anyone claiming global cooling in 1970 was ignorant or wrong.
    Key to the scientific method is to review studies and papers. Christy and Spencer along with the NASA RSS team have made 'adjustments' over the years to correct for software errors in their code but that happens in any study. The problem is Christy, Spencer, and RSS are lagging ground, sea, and ice observations. In particular the Berkeley Earth studies that show global warming is real and most recently,"2017 - 3rd Hottest Year on Record."
    Actually there are significant scientific studies supporting man made, global warming as the primary reason for sea level rise. What you claimed in the hearing is orders of magnitude smaller than global warming.
    The U.S. Geological Survey reports there "321,003,271 cubic miles is in the ocean." This is 5 orders of magnitude greater than your claimed,"thousands of cubic miles of eroded material." In percentage terms, we'll use 9,999 cubic miles for your claim:

9,999 / 321,003,271 = 0.003% of the ocean volume

This goes beyond a rounding error into insignificance.

This has been studied but recent hurricanes have all but washed out the Mississippi delta. The others are shrinking as the sea level rises. It is the charge in sea level, the incursion into formerly dry land that is important, not the existence of an insignificant addition to the ocean basins.
    Actually paleo geography studies have show during the Ice Ages, the sea level fell only to rise between the ice ages. This has led to sea shells and fossils found significantly higher than the local oceans. Darwin noted this in his journals.
    Actually Arctic sea ice has little effect on sea level BUT serves a useful metric for global warming. Since 2012, the Arctic has opened to navigation each year. Cruise liners take tourists on cruises through the melted, formerly frozen, sea ice.

Antarctica has seen melting and break-up of the sea ice that often blocks glaciers from reaching the oceans. It is removal of these glacial blockages that increases the rate of sea level rise from the glaciers flowing to the sea.
    No problem as the Larson and other ice shelfs breaking up is well documented as well as faster movement of glaciers to the sea. Satellite measurements are showing a decrease in Antartica and Greenland ice.
    Yes, more moisture results in deposits of snow that compacts to ice. But gravity studies show this effect is falling behind the loss of Antarctic ice to the sea. The numbers count.
    At last, something we can almost agree. Floating ice has no significant effect on sea level because of the 2000 year old, Archimedes effect that a floating object displaces the same weight of water. However, this is not "8 times." In contrast, land based ice that melts or reaches the sea displaces and adds the same amount of weight.
    If only you would follow your own advice.

Bob Wilson

ps. I nominate Mo Brooks to be our Mojo replacement.

#90 bwilson4web, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    nominate@90. No one is better situated to offer him a free membership...

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before someone on his side calls you out on this item, let me point out a problem in your presentation:

The total ocean surface area is about 140,000,000 square miles. If you dump in enough material to displace 9,999 cubic miles of it, then the surface will rise (9,999/140,000,000) = 0.0000714 miles = 4.5 inches. That is more than half the observed 20th Century increase.

Or try another path. Average ocean depth is 12,100 feet. Increase the ocean's volume by your calculated 0.003%, and the surface level will rise by (12,000 * 0.003%) = 0.36 foot = 4.3 inches. Same pickle.

So, to avoid getting hoisted by one's own petard, try to make some adjustment to the argument before putting this out to the real world.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I started a Google search to find papers discussing the effect and found this at the top:

FACT CHECK: Do Rocks Falling Into the Ocean Contribute to Global Sea Level Rise?

<The metrics>
    . . . on geologic time scales (tens of millions of years) such an amount material added to the oceans would, in theory, become meaningful. That would be true if not for the fact that — also on geologic time scales — the ocean floor actively recycles old seafloor at rates comparable to the mass added by sediment each year. On these timescales the major factors driving global sea level variability are much larger-scale processes like the subduction of continents, the rise and fall of ocean ridges, and the volcanic processes that create new rocks.

Tim Herbert, a professor of oceanography at Brown University, told us that Brooks’ argument — if looked at on these timescales — is akin to focusing on one side of a cyclic process while ignoring the processes that go the other direction. On relevant timescales, Herbert told us, the most important point is that current rate of sea level rise is substantially higher than what geologists believe to be a normal background rate:

[There is] very clear evidence that for thousands of years in the Holocene, sea level rose very modestly. Sea level began to rise at a much steeper rate ~1850 (time of the first measurable sea level response to the input of CO2 that began with the Industrial revolution) and then has been steeply rising over the past few decades in parallel with the steep rise in CO2 and global temperatures. Every good study I know shows that current rates of sea level rise are 3-4 times the natural background rate.
    While Brooks is correct both in his understanding of Archimedes’ principle and in his statement that tons of sediment flow into the oceans each year, his assertion that this sediment flow is in any way a measurable contributor to the sea level rise scientists are discussing in the context of anthropogenic global warming is false.
    Going back to look for credible reports on the 'rock heads sea level displacement' claim. I may have found one:
    http://www.geol.lsu.edu/pclift/pclift/Publications_files/2015_Ferrier_etal_2015.pdf

Scanning this report looks to account for a lot of factors from " . . . we use a gravitationally self-consistent global model to explore how sediment erosion and deposition affected sea level during the most recent glacial–interglacial cycle in the northeastern Arabian Sea and the Indus River basin, where fluvial sediment fluxes are among the highest on Earth."

This is likely to be the root source of Mo Brooks claim because it includes delta basins in the description.

NASA public web site: NASA Sea Level Change Portal: Causes

Does not include sediment effects. Still it showed how the loss of Greenland ice mass has changed the gravitational field, weakening it. This causes a local loss of sea level because the gravity attraction is reduced. The same mechanism should occur with sediment moving from land where its gravitational attraction would pull the sea water higher to depressing the sea water height by pulling the sea lower towards the deposits.

Bob Wilson

#93 bwilson4web, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The global river sediment supply rate I used, assuming sediment density of 2.5, equals 1.9 cubic miles per year. Not thousands thereof.

I would need to see a primary reference claiming "thousands" to go any further.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I disagree with Tim Herbert (in post 93) that Brooks understands Archimedes.

Take a glacier, or aircraft carrier, or whatever. Suspend it (magic works best for this) above ocean surface. Ease that baby down. It will reach neutral buoyancy and float on its own when the weight of seawater displaced by its entry (its volume below the water line) equals the entire weight of this test object.

Ain't no 1/8 or 7/8ths here. That bit exclusive pertains to relative density of of local seawater and the glacier you chose. I can not come up with a reading of Brooks suggesting that he understands this subject.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dropping that 'thousands' down to a more realistic number would fix the issue I pointed out at #92.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I agree. Only problem here is thousands of cubic miles was uncritically repeated here, and I'd like to see source of that number.

==
    Have been personally involved in developing sediment budgets at regional (not global) scales. It is rigorous work. When collecting water samples at high flows (with river banks risking collapse) there is physical risk involved. Whether thousands is a serious estimate or merely intestinally sourced, remains to be seen.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Chen et al 2017 can be found for free with a search. Fig. 4 shows SLR contributions with only Greenland increasing during the period.

Chen 2017 SLR components.png

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius