1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Searched but didn't really find anything...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bryan267, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Bryan267

Bryan267 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I picked up my Prius today. '04 and I think package 9. (Everything from the brochure checks for it).
    I have a couple of questions about it though that I was hoping I could get some help with.

The headlights look (visually, I didn't get into them) like halogen but are nice and white like the HIDs. Is there an easy way to identify? My BMW was obvious, it had the little globes on them but this looks like a reflector.

My buddy followed me home and said that I had a passenger brake light out. I checked them again when I got home because I didn't remember it having one burnt out when I inspected it when I bought it...that and there were no idiot lights on. Turns out it is dim but not out...is this a bulb or a relay/wiring problem? I'll pick up a new pair of bulbs tomorrow and see either way.

Is there an easy way to get to the front side indicator/parking light or a trick to replacing it? I DID notice one of them out when I looked at it but wasn't worried about it because I am giving it a thorough going-through before I register it. I just couldn't seem to get it to budge.

Lastly, the front high-speakers sound blown (the one thing I didn't check when I bought it). If I turn up the bass at all they buzz (see my info pane for my occupation, I think I have a good idea ;) ) Are OEM replacements easy and inexpensive or should I just go and spend the money on a decent middle-of-the road set and replace 'em all?

MODS: If this should be in the newbie forum and not here, I apologize. You can tow me.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HID headlights are accompanied by little fog lights located in the grille below the bumper.

Regarding the dim brake light, note that the brake lights are LEDs. If dim, first check the ground wiring connection.

Regarding the speaker buzz, check the middle speaker over the MFD. You may want to disconnect it.

3. Bryan267

Bryan267 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check. So I DO have HIDs because I have fogs (they are white though, so aren't the really driving lights? Or maybe I argue semantics. ;) )

The bulb I pulled out of the back is a wedge bottom incandescent with: "WY21W" written on it.

To unplug the speaker do I just pop the grill off and pull a few screws to access it?

Thanks! :)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you can call the lights "driving lights" but no matter what you call them, I think you will find them to be useless.

When you pull the center speaker grill out (attached with four plastic claws) you will find the speaker attached to the grill.

5. Bryan267

Bryan267 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fair enough. :)

Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

6. Bryan267

Bryan267 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went and turned on the radio today just to see...definitely a blown speaker, I'll pull the center speaker just to check and see but I don't think it will do anything.

Is there a good list somewhere for speaker sizes all around for the JBL system? I might as well replace them all while I am getting into it.

7. Bryan267

Bryan267 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I was wrong. The brake light is the upper...I was pulling the indicator bulb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    GS4 'cause I rock like that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~