1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Belt Beeping

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Judgeless, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know a dealer in Northern OH that will turn the seat belt beeping off? I will pay for it.

Please do not respond that it’s foolish or a bad idea. I already know.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any Toyota dealer should be able to do it as it's one of the personalized settings.

3. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lompoc Toyota did it for me for free. That's where I bought my car though...

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked up the car from a dealer that is 2 hours from my house. I called two local dealers and they both had a story on why they could not do it. Fed Law blah blah blah.

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Show them pages 587 to 592 of the manual, which details the customization. I had the seatbelt beeping turned off, thinking that once a week when I pull out of the garage to get to my lawn mower I wouldn't hear it beep if I didn't belt up. Wrong. It still beeps 4 times then stops, but the red icon on the dash flashes on and on and on.

I've never driven any speed without the seat belt, but did watch the shop foreman hook up a laptop to the car and do the changes to the "speed linked seat belt reminder buzzer."

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am very happy. I called a few more dealers and they told me the same lies. Toyota does not allow us to disable the seatbelt beeping.

I called one more dealer. The service manager told me he does not have any problem changing anything I want. He said it’s your car we will set it up the way you want. I asked how much. He told me zero, we want to see you come back when you need service. I ask when I could bring it in. He said how about now.

I drove out to the dealer and they let me play with the Laptop and change the settings myself. From this day forward all my service needs will be done at that dealer. Good customer service goes a very long way.

7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If only SiriusXM understood good customer service. ;) Nice to see you got things customized the way you want.

8. TheTexican

TheTexican New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry to bump and old thread , but

I disabled the beeper myself physically with no software.

I figured the sensor must be within the latch and either a switch or mechanism that completes a circuit. In actuality it appears to be something more complex and because of the limited maneuverability of the latch between the seat and console I really couldn't examine as much as i had liked.

Regardless, I popped the plastic cover off enclosure just below the latch and found a circuit board with a metallic / perhaps magnetic spot that senses when the belt has been inserted. I disabled the beeping and dash warning indicator by simply flipping the circuit board around and replacing the plastic cover. No more beeps when the seatbelt is not worn:nod: I have reservations about doing the same to the passenger side belt since the airbag is sensor is somehow related. anyway, thought id pass it along for others whose dealerships refuse to disable it.

Caveat- Doing so caused a few sporadic single beeps within the first few miles driving, but it then ceased and never returned.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would have done it for you with my SGII but Ohio is a long way from here. :)

10. Justin Bird

Justin Bird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I managed to turn off the seatbelt beeps by disconnecting the seatbelt sensor connector under the seat. It's the little white one to the side of the big green one underneath the seat. No codes triggered, no warning lights on the dash.